Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bloxingham Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Fraud.I don't know what to do :( I'm only 19
    :confused: :confused: :mad: So, I'll be the first one to say that this has been by far the stupidest thing I've done!

Well. Two weeks ago my fiancé washed my cell phone and I went to get a new one. So I was looking around on the internet and I found the one that I wanted and it was from this company in Florida called E Band Phones INC. So I emailed the manager lady and I asked her a bunch of questions about it and I decided that I would get one from them. I asked what payment types they accepted and she said they only accept Western Union Money Transfer.. yeah that should have been a red flag but I didn't care, I just wanted my stupid phone. So we sent it off and it ended up being $250. The advertised price was $180 but there was $40 shipping through the company for a 2/3 day shipping time. But then when we went to send the money there was another $30 fee just to send the money via Western Union. I sent the money Monday and now its Friday and I still have no phone. So I asked the same lady what was going on and this is what she wrote to me.
    To: jaimie bloxham <[email protected]>
    Subject: RE: yes
    Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:06:04 -0400

Hello
    Thanks for the order
    We have shipped out your package then we discovered that we have have a problem with your order that's why our boss had to stop and hold the package in the ups shipping company. Our store keeper that packagse the goods made a mis package instead of her package on one sidekick she packed 7 items, 3 D wade sidekick 3's, 1 play station 3 and 2 LRG sidekick 3's and 1 I phone. That's why our boss hade to stop the order. All this product was about $1500. Our boss said since this happened that that you could pay only $800 so we can take it off on hold and send it, and you can have your tracking number so let hear from you soon!
    Thanks

-i asked her if they could just send another one, or give me the money back and she said no...
    PLEASE HELP ME WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Thanks
    -jaimie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Contact Western Union and have them put a stop on the money transfer. Then contact the FL Atty Gen and report this scam.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Sorry, but once they draw the money out of Western Union there is no getting it back. Our company has been a WU outlet for over 10 years and the horror stories get worse and worse every year.

Secondly, having been an ASO with UPS for over 15 years and there is no way they can have UPS "hold" an item if they discover an error (believe me, I have tried.) They never sent your order and never plan to. They want to see if you are dumb enough to pony up another $800.

I am sorry you were scammed. You just paid for a life lesson.

No LEGITIMATE business will ever ask you to send money via Western Union for an purchase like that. Quick Collect is a legitimate division of WU used to pay existing accounts, anything else, expect never to see your money nor your product again.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Also no legitimate business will respond with an email containing that many spelling errors and poor grammar, I don't believe this company is actually operating out of the US

EDIT: And proper companies don't use hotmail.

As said above contact the Attorney General but I don't think you'll get your money back unless Western Union can do something.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 17, 2007, 02:05 PM
    I wonder if there's a way to get the Florida AG's office to track the person through Western Union. I'm sorry you were scammed. :(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2007, 03:16 PM
    I still say contact WU. It can't hurt to try. If they are this stupid they may not have cashed the transfer yet.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 03:57 PM
    You were given a Money Transfer Control Number on your paperwork. Any agent can pull the number and tell you if it has been cashed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Yes it is really possible that money order went anywhere, since once you send the money it can be picked up from anywhere. And of course emails can be going anywhere also

You will note that it is a msn email address not a company address you were emailing. So basically say good bye to your money and take this as a lesson learned.
    musokestrain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 01:17 AM
    E Band Phones are definitely scammers. They have changed their email address to [email protected]. One of the payment details they use is "Jerry D. Nicholas" from "Indialantic" in Florida. "Jerry D. Nicholas" is on the Western Union fraud file now - so it is unlikely more payments will get through this method. They also use the payee of "Albert Schwendeman".

They advertsie their products on various newgroups world-wide preying on unsuspecting victims.

The only way to stop them is to Google e-Band phones INC and then join each newsgroup where they have advertised and post a warning.
    bloxingham Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bloxingham
    :confused: :confused: :mad: So, i'll be the first one to say that this has been by far the stupidest thing i've done!

Well. Two weeks ago my fiance washed my cell phone and i went to get a new one. So i was looking around on the internet and i found the one that i wanted and it was from this company in florida called E Band Phones INC. So i emailed the manager lady and i asked her a bunch of questions about it and i decided that i would get one from them. I asked what payment types they accepted and she said they only accept Western Union Money Transfer..yeah that should have been a red flag but i didnt care, i just wanted my stupid phone. So we sent it off and it ended up being $250. The advertised price was $180 but there was $40 shipping thru the company for a 2/3 day shipping time. But then when we went to send the money there was another $30 fee just to send the money via Western Union. I sent the money Monday and now its Friday and i still have no phone. So i asked the same lady what was going on and this is what she wrote to me.
    To: jaimie bloxham <[email protected]>
    Subject: RE: yes
    Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:06:04 -0400

Hello
    thanks for the order
    we have shipped out your package then we discovered that we have have a problem with your order that's why our boss had to stop and hold the package in the ups shipping company. Our store keeper that packagse the goods made a mis package instead of her package on one sidekick she packed 7 items, 3 D wade sidekick 3's, 1 play station 3 and and 2 LRG sidekick 3's and 1 i phone. That's why our boss hade to stop the order. All this product was about $1500. Our boss said since this happened that that you could pay only $800 so we can take it off on hold and send it, and you can have your tracking number so let hear from you soon!
    Thanks

-i asked her if they could just send another one, or give me the money back and she said no...
    PLEASE HELP ME WHAT SHOULD I DO?

thanks
    -jaimie
    Okay well this is what has happened.. I talked to my lawyer and he has been talking to this person for a while now. But he just pretty much said the same thing. But you know I guess this is what happens when you trust everyone. I just wanted to thank everyone for your advice! I really appreciate it!
    musokestrain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Bloxingham,

The other thing you can do is email [email protected] and report them. Also provide all the evidence you have posted here etc... They will then shut them down (if there is sufficient proof) at least from using this email address.

You can also report them to the Internet Crime Centre http://www.ic3.gov/
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Please make sure you deal with a reputable company from now on. And there are so many walk in cellular phone service businesses, I suggest going to one of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fraud [ 3 Answers ]

My husband left me 3 days after getting his green card in the mail. I now know he married me for the green card only. He was in jail for 6 months for fraud, how do I get his green card revoked? Thanks Anthoula

Possible fraud [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has a 14 year old daughter and while picking her up one day noticed some mail in her name. His ex-wife has used his SS# before and after seeing the mail he is wondering if she has started using his daughters as well. Is there a way we can check to make sure her report is clear?

Could this be fraud? [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend married a woman from Ghana in November of 2002. After getting married in the state of Florida the couple purchased a home in NC. The husband sent for her 3 kids in Ghana and they all lived as one happy family until two months ago when he returned home from work to find his wife, the...

Fraud by any other name [ 3 Answers ]

I am not asking a question here, but sharing a news article in today's "Bismarck Tribune". Just when you wonder how low someone can go, someone finds out how. Alleged surrogate scam leads to felony charge

View more questions Search