Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ultrajoker Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2005, 04:00 AM
    Square D QO Box good for residential?
    A friend of mine has a Square D QO13040L200G box and a QOM2200VH main breaker to go with it, that he will give me a great deal on. This is a main lug box with the main lug adaptive main breaker. Is this box with the add on main breaker acceptable for residential use? Is there any pros/cons to this set up with the convertible main over a box with a fixed main? Thanks all, again! :)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2005, 12:21 PM
    Square D QO Series is excellent for residential. QO is great for light commercial, small stores, offices, etc. So you will be in real good shape with this in your home.

There are no pros and cons to speak of with a convertible main. If the price is right , go for it.
    cc4digital Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Square D QO Series is excellent for residential. QO is great for light commercial, small stores, offices, etc. So you will be in real good shape with this in your home.

There are no pros and cons to speak of with a convertible main. If the price is right , go for it.
    I know this is opinion based tkrussell. I have been getting quotes for my 60 amp sub panel and all but one electrician recommended square D. Most have recommend Murry. I personally, like square d. Two of the electricans said they have replaced more square D bad breakers than any other brand. They also don't like the fact the breakers have changed so much in the past 10 years. What are you thoughts--I am almost ready to purchase a
    QO120L125GC
    QO124L125G

I have had bryant before and had problem with burnt bus bars. Anyway, can you tell me anything that will give me more confidence.

Chuck
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jun 4, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Just personal observation of a couple dozen group homes. We have had very good results with SquareD. I've replaced more Murry breakers than any other. We have mostly SquareD, Murry and some Cutler-Hammer.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jun 4, 2008, 06:46 PM
    I've had a Square D QO in my house for about a year with no problems. My mother's house (new construction) also has a QO for about 5 ½ years-no problem with panel or breakers. Three of my friends have relatively new houses (I estimate within the last eight years or so) all with QO panels-again no problems. Tradesmen, and not to criticize, tend to push a particular brand because that's their personal preference, or that's the line they carry. Also, sometimes things go wrong, the electrician has a bad experience with a particular brand and he won't use it again. My plumber told me Rheem water heaters are junk, and wanted to sell me a $1,000 water heater. Hmmm, Rheem is that largest selling water heater and many of the so-called better names are made under license from Rheem. Same with my car buddies; I wouldn't use those tires, spark plugs, etc. I agree with TK, you shouldn't have a problem with the QO series.
    cc4digital Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I myself like the QO boxes and that what I plan on using. I have heard of a few issue with homeline boxes. But QO are well established and I don't see them being discontinued in the near future.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jun 5, 2008, 07:14 AM
    The homeline boxes, as even stated on the website, are for the "budget" minded remodeler. Like anything, you get what you pay for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem RACB-030JAS residential A/C unit condenser fan motor replaced [ 26 Answers ]

I just replaced the condenser fan motor and it initially spun up then stopped, after 10 minutes it ran again then stopped. Now I can hear it buzz then stop but not spin. The original motor was a GE 5KCP39BG K075CS 1/6 HP 1075 RPM 208/230 V its replacement a Dayton 4M205G 1/4 hp 1075 RPM ...

Square d sub panel [ 29 Answers ]

I am not to familiar with residential wiring and I have a question about sub panel problem. I have a 200 amp main panel with a 125 amp sub panel. There is a 60 amp feeder from the main for the sub. My problem is I am getting an unbalanced loading problem. I tried balancing the load between the 2...

Residential Wire splicing [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to relocate an old receptacle to a new wall location in our house. If I will splice a new wire to the old one and put it in a box, should that box be visible on the wall(with cover plate) or can I just hide the box inside the wall. Thanks.

Completing the square! HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all, were doing quadratics and completing the square and my teacher gave us about 30 problems to work on but I'm really stumped on half of them. Im going to list 3 problems that are similar in how they are setup, can you show me how to solve them? I think I can figure out how to do the rest...

View more questions Search