Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NIKKa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2005, 01:11 AM
    Best scar treatment??
    Well I recently got in a car accident about 4 weeks ago, and I got cut pretty bad on my face, and has a big scar... anyone know of a real good scar treatment that has worked for theM?? I have tried mederma and have seen no results.
    kkasey1982 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2005, 07:04 AM
    Talk to your doctor about laser. There are no products you can buy that will remove a big scar, trust me.
    kinekon18 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2005, 12:29 AM
    Silicone sheeting
    I saw a programme hosted by an NHS GP (UK) and he said the best thing for scars whether old or new was silicone sheeting, you can reuse it and cut it to shape, I'm not sure how it works but it looked good, he had before and after pics of a woman who used it after having a tummy tuck.

I used silgel and that worked great when I got burnt, but it was a new wound so for you before you go for laser I'd try the silicone sheeting as it costs only £30 (boots) for a sheet and is reusable. Not sure about where to get it US but here's some info on it:
    http://scarheal.com/scar_skincare_FAQ.htm

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp86526_33...car_sheets.htm

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/derm....jsp?id=148043

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/produc...d=42&catid=544
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 19, 2005, 05:16 AM
    A few factors that are important are how old you skin is, how deep the wound, did you have it sutured, etc. If it was a razor-like cut, or a scrape that did not need sutures, but was open and still taking a while to heal?? I would assume that you did see a doctor to have the wound cleaned and cared for initially. IF so, and you asked the question of how long it would take to heal, what were you told? Any facial wound (I know from personal experience) can take up to a year to heal depending on the type of damage, to the skin, membranes underneath, muscles and nerves, etc. I would suggest using pure aleo vera juice from the plant topically (it has enzymes and healing features without the perfume stuff) and take vitamins A and C for extra help. Before going drastic like laser ask a doctor the questions you maybe forgot to ask when the accident happened. Avoid direct sun for at least 6 to 8 weeks in that area, but the doctor should have told you that.. Sorry to hear about the accident, that's stress enough, but be patient healing and good luck.
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

Mar 27, 2009, 01:18 PM

Cocoa butter is great for scars. It reduces redness and appearance, although won't take it away completely. It smells yummy too. Its really think, and has a lot of vitamins and oils in it. You can get it at grocery stores. Get the butter though, not the lotion.
    Dr C Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 06:36 PM

There are very few scar treatments that are backed by science.

The following applies to all scars (not just surgical), skin types and all ages.

Let me first start by mentioning what to AVOID. Vitamin E should be avoided as a scar treatment as it causes contact dermatitis (skin allergy) in 33% of users and it does nothing for scar healing. Multiple studies have also shown that Mederma (onion extract) does not improve scars either.

Scientific studies have shown that the following DO improve scar healing and the appearance of scars:

1) Vitamin C
    2) Silicone

Both vitamin C and silicone aid healthy collagen production by the skin which is essential for optimal scar healing. Silicone scar products also decrease the production of abnormal collagen that can cause thick, raised scars (which can lead to hypertrophic and keloid scars). Vitamin C also lightens the dark pigment often seen with scarring.

When choosing a vitamin C scar treatment ensure that it contains a "stable" form C. Most forms of vitamin C used in skin care products are unstable and quickly turn brown after the container is opened. This is a sign that the vitamin C has become oxidized and therefore no longer works.

Products that are brown to begin with should probably be avoided as many manufacturers color the cream brown so that users cannot tell when the cream becomes oxidized. I would recommend using scar treatments that specifically address this vit C stability issue (the ones that do usually mention it on the packaging and are not brown).

Your scar treatment of choice should be used as soon as initial scar healing has occurred and you can comfortably apply the scar treatment/ scar cream without much discomfort. Continue using the scar therapy until you no longer see any improvement in the appearance of the scar. This can take 6 - 24 months.
    Missjenny Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 11:38 AM
    I have tried the silicon. Does not work.
    nattyc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 10:55 AM
    I used ScarAway Silicone Sheets with fantastic results. The were recommneded to me by my OBGYN for post c-section scar. My scar was about 5" long, thickened and lumpy/red. ScarAway strips were easy to use and comfortable. I pretty much just put it on and forgot about it. It also helped a lot with being able to wear my pants without great discomfort. (The gel stayed stationary on the scar and the fabric outer part made it so that clothes just slide back an forth wiothout friction on my scar.

This is one of the studies I read on this type of treatment.

The role of the epidermis in the control of scarring: evidence for mechanism of action for silicone gel.
    Tandara AA, Mustoe TA. J Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgury. 2008 Oct;61(10):1219-25

Hypertrophic scars can be reduced by the application of silicone dressing; however, the detailed mechanism of silicone action is still unknown. It is known that silicone gel sheets cause a hydration of the epidermal layer of the skin. An in vitro co-culture experiment has shown that hydration of keratinocytes has a suppressive effect on the metabolism of the underlying fibroblasts resulting in reduced collagen deposition. (scars are areas of too much collagen.. the so called repairing material for skin that makes scars.)
    This just looks like a fancy way of saying silicone sheets break down the extra scar tissue. Very interesting
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Sep 25, 2010, 10:49 PM

Consult your doctor and dermatologist.
    Try Mederma, and Vitamin E.
    Chinitah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2010, 09:20 AM
    Oh whenever you have a scar or a burn I would suggest you put Vitamin E
    nattyc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 07:20 AM

Do NOT use viatmin e on scars... it can cause allergic reaction, dermatitis, and result in worse scarring.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Oct 10, 2010, 07:22 AM

I think it depends on the person, because not everyone is allergic to Vitamin E.
    marquezpedro48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
    I researched tons of site's in search of the best scar treatments available and I found www.scartreatmentassociation.com to have the best information and products. It's been 3 weeks now since I have been using scarprin a scar removal cream that I found out about via scartreatmentassociation.com and I have noticed a drastic different in my scar already.
    llaacc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 08:15 AM
    Nutrapelle' body lotion.
    I ripped my arm open 6 months ago and the doctor said my skin was to thin to stitch.
    He told me their was nothing he could do and it would leave a scar.
    A friend recommended Nutrapelle and the scar is almost undetectable the doctor is so impressed he is
    Recommending it to other patients.
    Its hard to find but I just bought more @ nutrapelle.com
    All of the ingredients are healing to the skin
    GREAT RESULTS
    llaacc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 08:52 AM
    Nutrapelle body lotion!!
    The best $20.00 you will ever spend.
    Heals open wounds, burns, sunburns irritated skin... everything
    Unbelivable results but hard to find except on line
    Nutrapelle.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scar removal [ 16 Answers ]

I have scars which I got by peeling my acne the scars are on ma biceps and my chest and face they are dark brownish scars can someone tell me a cream or a technique which is useful for getting rid of these ugly scars

Lessening scar visibility [ 8 Answers ]

Lets say I get hurt. A one inch scar is expected. What should I do to lessen a distinctive colour (lighter/darker) tone patch of scar? Or make it heal faster and better? Better by means of look more skin-like.

Treatment for sinusitis [ 14 Answers ]

Does anyone have any home remedies for sinusitis? I'm pregnant so I can't take antibiotics. Thanks!

Flea Treatment For Cat [ 7 Answers ]

Does an indoor cat need to receive topical flea treatment if he spends a lot of time on a fully enclosed screened porch? The porch also has screening underneath the floor. He never goes outside of the porch. Thank you.

View more questions Search