Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmygle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Independent Contractor
    I did a little searching around and found a few topics that touched on this, but my circumstances are a bit different than the topics I found.

I just was obtained by a small web design company as an independent contractor, I've never done anything like this before, but it seems like a great gig since I'm in college currently, and the hours are what I make of them. I live in Washington state.

The employer gave me a W9 form and a contract outlining my duties, wages, etc. My questions are: 1) What forms do I need to fill out for taxes, when do I need to turn them in, and where do I get these forms. 2) How much money should I put aside for taxes, assuming my income won't be over 25k a year. I read about 33%, is that valid for WA as well? 3) Is there anything else I should be aware of with these taxes? 4) Would it be more cost effective to get a sole proprietorship business license?

I've never filed taxes before, and every other job I've had has always automatically taken taxes out as an employee. Any knowledge/advice would be strongly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jimmy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 05:43 AM
    They will give you a 1099 at the end of the year, many self employed people will file every quarter an estimated tax, ( this way you will not end up with any penalties) You will first of all have to pay 15 percent of what is paid you for social security taxes, then you will have to pay income tax on the net amount. This will be according to your tax status. So yes I would hold at least 33 percent back. And you may not even need a business license, but if you do need one, you get it from the city or county where you live.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Jimmy:

Fr Chuck's advice is solid.

Your work sounds like it is basic consulting or contract work, so a business license is NOT needed for the type of work you will be doing. However, if you call and ask the local city or county, they will tell you that a business license is required (that's how they collect taxes).

General rule: A business license is NOT required by law if you do not open a place of business.

If you put 33% aside, you will be fine. The first year, quarterly estimated tax filings is not required as you are in the safe harbor of this being your first year. Starting next year, however, quarterly estimated tax payments will bee needed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2007, 08:16 AM
    To add to the others, you will file a Schedule C with your income tax return. All income (from the 1099) and all expenses will be entered there. Some things you can expense out:
    Your Internet connection costs
    Mailing costs
    Any items purchased EXCLUSIVELY for business use
    Mileage to and from your client

So keep good records of all your costs.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Hello Jimmy:

Now that you know YOU have to bear much of the burden that used be born by your employer, hopefully you realize that the income you would accept as an employee is FAR short of the amount you should accept as a contractor.

You need to write a business plan in order to determine exactly how much you should charge, but I would guess that as a contractor doing the same work as an employee, you would have triple what an employee earns to just break even.

Be careful about employers who use this tactic to pay teeeeeeny money.

excon
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Aug 17, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Here's an easy way to determine how much to hold back for taxes. Look at a paycheck stub from when you worked for someone else that the gross amount was about the same as what you would make now after you deduct your expenses. Look at what they withheld for federal income tax. That will be about the same as what you would hold back now. Look at state income tax they withheld. That will be about the same now. Now look at what they withheld for Social Security and Medicare. That amount will double because you are self employed. The only difference in your tax liability is in your social security and medicare withholding. Pretty easy.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 07:03 AM
    All this advice is valid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sub-contractor / CONTRACTOR liability [ 1 Answers ]

We Had Flooring Installed In Our Home. The Company Who We Bought The Flooring Promised The Flooring To Be Glued Down. Instead Their Sub-contracted Foreign Installers Drilled Through The Concrete. Water Is Now Shooting Up Through The Holes Like A Fountain. The Company Told Us That The Damage...

How to become an independent share holder [ 2 Answers ]

Hello guys, I need to know how to become an independent share holder if there such a thing and how to about it in the market what should I expect and how do I start?

Adding an independent motion sensor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to upgrade my existing exterior lighting to include an independent motion seņor and addition lighting fixture in the car port. Existing power fed through a single pole switch inside the house to an exterior light fixture next to the front entrance (2 wire grounded). I would like to...

Tax Advice for independent Contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a full time job and pay Uncle Sam on a reg basis. However, this year... I had the opportunity to earn a nice amount of $$ on the side, offering my Music Production Services in my spare time. This was done from my own home and it generated me approx $25,000. Would someone give me advice on...

Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

This might be a silly question but here goes, I am a middle aged man wanting to start a painting business, a career change if you will? But do I need some kind of contractors license to do this? I paint fantastic and pretty good in faux painting. How would I get by without getting sued for being a...

View more questions Search