Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dks2114 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2007, 11:00 PM
    tangent lines & secant lines
    Show that the tangent line to the curve y = x^3 at the point x=a also hits the curve at the point x = -2a.

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right path? I set the function and the slope of a line secant to the functions through the points (a, f(a)) and (-2a, f(-2a)) equal to each other and solved for a. I don't know what the a stands for. I got that a equals 1. I was thinking that a is the common slope of the tangent line and the function. Am I correct?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 05:32 AM
    The a stands for any value. It could be a=2 and the tangent line at x=2 will hit the curve at x = -4. It could be a=3 and the tangent line at a=3 will hit the curve at -6, etc.
    If it makes it easier, use some actual values. Such as, prove the tangent line at x=2 hits the curve at x=-4

Find the derivative:

Using the given coordinates, , find the equation of the tangent line:

The tangent line equation is :

Now, if
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Try this - if you connect a line between the points (-2a, f(-2a)) and (a, f(a)), you can determine the slope of that line. Now, the tangent at f(a) is equal to its derivative there, so how does the slope of the line compare to f'(a)?

Also, I'm not sure what you meant by the word "secant" in the phrase "the slope of a line secant to the functions through the points (a, f(a)) and (-2a, f(-2a))" - please clarify. Thanks.
    PresRice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dks2114
    Show that the tangent line to the curve y = x^3 at the point x=a also hits the curve at the point x = -2a.

Can anyone tell me if i'm on the right path? I set the function and the slope of a line secant to the functions through the points (a, f(a)) and (-2a, f(-2a)) equal to each other and solved for a. I don't know what the a stands for. I got that a equals 1. I was thinking that a is the common slope of the tangent line and the function. Am i correct?
    Test 3 Solutions

Check this site out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fading Age Spots, Sun Spots, Freckles & Tan Lines? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I've just found this forum while Googling for effective ways to achieve what my topic's title describes. I've browsed through many of the posts here but couldn't find the answers I seek. I'm fair skinned and have some sun damage resulting from a bad sunburn a few months ago. Even...

Sewer & water lines next to each other [ 1 Answers ]

How far apart must your incoming water line and your sewer lines be placed apart. I live in Texas

Hook up hot & cold lines and drain to garage utility sink next to clothes washer [ 1 Answers ]

I desire to hook up a utility sink nedst to the existing clothes washer in an enclosed garage area. The washer has existing hot and cold supply lines coming from the wall with a ¾” brass bibb. Can I, and if so, how, can I connect hot and cold lines to the utility sink. It has a standard type...

Lines Across TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old (atleast 10 years) RCA television. A few months ago it randomly developed a problem where white lines with a redish pink in between cover the entire screen. The lines are horizontal at a slight angle and go all the way across the screen. This happens spiratically and goes through...

View more questions Search