Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclinsz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Does a 4 ton evaporator coil match up with a 3 ton condenser?
    We just moved into an 11 year old house last month. The AC has not worked properly since we moved in. The first AC guy the Homeowners Warranty company sent cleaned the unit and added freon. A month later, it was 83 degrees downstairs today. Last week they sent another guy and he found what he says that the system is mismatched. The warranty company is claiming that they will not cover this because the system is mismatched... a 4 ton evaporator coil with a 3 ton condenser.

It seems like to me that they are trying to get off the hook. HELP. I need someone to explain this to me.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:31 PM
    This mismatch of coils to condensing units are done all the time and it will do a better job of dehumidification and in some cases a higher efficiency, some manufacturers match a larger coil to achieve a higher SEER rating Goodman air conditioning did this with there equipment and Carrier has a coil that is used for two or three ton systems (same coil) And a single coil for either four or five ton systems.
    A coil that has a thermostatic expansion valve would be preferred.
    You probably have a problem and they are dumb founded because they can't find the real problem, so they tell you this. Good luck, Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a 3 ton coil match up with a 2 ton condenser unit [ 19 Answers ]

I have a new Payne brand 2 ton central air unit that was installed by my home warranty company, and after two months and after they sent out three different companies to try and fix my cooling problem, the last company decided that the original Carrier brand system that has been in my home for 26...

Condenser Fan Motor Wiring for Goodman AC Heat Pump 3 Ton [ 5 Answers ]

Condenser Fan Motor Wiring for Goodman 3 Ton -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello Everyone, I have a GOODMAN A/C Heat Pump Model# CPLE 36-1 installed 3 years ago. Last week I turned the unit on, the compressor hums (not run)about 3-5...

Trane 2 ton & 2 1/2 ton pricing [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if I am getting a fair or good price from a local company located here in Miami, Florida. Believe it or not the two A/C units in my home are still working from the day the house was built 19 years ago. I received a quote on 2 Trane units. XB13 2TTB30 30 = $2499 XB13...

4 ton or 5 ton unit for 1780 sq ft home [ 2 Answers ]

I was woundering which unit would be more efficient for cooling home in Tucson Az? I have a 1780 sq ft home, included is an addition of @ 280 sq ft that has no duct work for vents. Home is a made of brick with the exception of the addition, I also just had dual pane windows installed and home is...

View more questions Search