Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jackone Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Cannot access sharing folder
    I have four computers running XP pro, XP pro, XP home, and Win98 SE. they all connect together with a router, there is no domain. Each computer has share folders. I only setup all computer with the same group name like "workgroup". I did not run the network setup wizard for each computer. I can see all computer names under myNetworkPlace\workgroup\. But when I click on the share folder on XP home, a logon screen popup ask for the username and password. The username is already entered with "Computer Name\Guest" and grey out, and I have no idea what password for guest account. Since all guest accounts on each computer are disable. I have also have the same problem to access share folder on Win98 SE from XP pro. Why win xp always require login with guest account. Can we fix it without running the network setup wizard and make the sharing working? Thanks a lot.
    Maxine321 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackone
    I have four computers running XP pro, XP pro, XP home, and Win98 SE. they all connect together with a router, there is no domain. Each computer has share folders. I only setup all computer with the same group name like "workgroup". I did not run the network setup wizard for each computer. I can see all computer names under myNetworkPlace\workgroup\. But when I click on the share folder on XP home, a logon screen popup ask for the username and password. the username is already entered with "Computer Name\Guest" and grey out, and I have no idea what password for guest account. since all guest accounts on each computer are disable. I have also have the same problem to access share folder on Win98 SE from XP pro. Why win xp always require login with guest account. Can we fix it without running the network setup wizard and make the sharing working? thanks a lot.
    I experienced this the other day... try clicking the close button 'x' on the top right had corner of the screen & see what happens.. I did that and I was able to access the folder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New folder.exe etc [ 8 Answers ]

My system is hit by new folder.exe virues... it changes the icon of my computer and slow down my computer... anyone can help me regarding its solution... pleae..?

Install folder is missing from my Windows (XP) folder [ 3 Answers ]

How odd. Tried to install a program and got "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime". I found the fix options at microsoft.com but one of them refers to C:\Windows\Installer - and I realize I don't have it! How the heck it disappeared I have no clue :confused: Hope hope...

Can't access folder in Doc's & Settings [ 1 Answers ]

I've had to do a re-install of XP Pro, and when I go to My Documents, there is a folder with the old "computer name" and I am getting Access Denied messages when I know that my documents/files are there... how can I gain access?

Access Denied to folder... [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, can anyone help me? A while ago my computer had some problem, so I had to reinstall windows. When I got it all set up again, I noticed that some of my old documents had been saved from the previous installation. But now I cannot access the folder that these documents are in. When I try to...

Setup an password in folder access [ 5 Answers ]

Dear sir; I want to setup an password in my desire folder I have win98 folder what should I do to protect my folder from other without changing my user account

View more questions Search