Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CooperB Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 05:47 PM
    Proxy Server at Boarding School
    K I go to a boarding school which has a proxy server
    It has surf control, doesn't allow MSN or any Music Downloader
    And it also won't let me play my Online game(Star Wars Galaxies)

What can I do to get around this and be able to do these thing?

Please reply or e-mail me
    [email protected]
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2005, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperB
    K i go to a boarding school which has a proxy server
    it has surf control, doesn't allow MSN or any Music Downloader
    and it also wont let me play my Online game(Star Wars Galaxies)

what can i do to get around this and be able to do these thing?

please reply or e-mail me
    [email protected]
    Nothing, if you don't want to get kicked out of the school. Even if you don't care about that, there is probably nothing you can do. It would be unethical of anyone to help you get past the school's restrictions, even if you could.

Aug 22, 2005, 07:19 PM
    K I won't get expelled for doing this people have tried so many times... The IT guys just call check mate and fix it... and unethical o come on this is a school that says you can't have MSN cause it will distract you from academics, but thanks anyway I'm going to still try

Aug 23, 2005, 05:35 AM
    K i wont get expelled for doing this people have tried so many times... The IT guys just call check mate and fix it.... and unethical o come on this is a school that says you can't have MSN cause it will distract you from academics, but thanks anyways im gonna still try
    Ethics apply at school as well. And you need to learn that NOW! Most boarding schools have an honor system that is usually taken seriously. The school has rules. If you try to break those rules you are subject to discipline. That's the way life works. Not all rules may make sense or even be good rules. If you think rules are unfair then work through the system to change them. To break them is unethical behavior. If you care that little about honesty and fair play, I feel sorry for you.

But you will not get help here.

Scott<>

Aug 23, 2005, 12:13 PM
    I see where your coming from, but I don't see why it is that big of a deal. If your really heart set on keeping rules then I think you relize wanting to use MSN, or play SWG is not the biggest deal in perspective of rule breaking. And main while I think the school its self has a bit of unethical behavior. The school has school has class 6 days a week. And it says because we have shortter days (We end at 1:00), but technically the Fine Arts and Sports we do after 1:00 (which goes 'till 6:00) counts towards the hours a School needs as Requirements. So the Sat. class's are to Control the student body. And keep in mind this isn't suppost to be a strick school, Its not one of the ones bad kids get sent to, All the students choose to go there (as do I). Yes, you might think You chose to go so you should be comlpaining, well that's the other unethical part. The school masked the other system while I toured the school, the said the Internet didn't have restictions, They said after 6 weeks I get my Saturdays Back to get a week off (Wrong they only counted the 7:30-1:00 hours so I get more like 4 days off) This school abuses it power in every way. By The Way it is still a boarding School, so change the rules? These types of school are so arrogant about their system that they hate change. The school is still very old fashion.

Aug 23, 2005, 05:57 PM
    That's not the point! It doesn't matter whether YOU think it not a big deal or not. The school apparently does. They don't want to spend bandwidth on frivoulous pursuits. They want to use it for the business purposes or academic research. Depending on how their Internet access and network is configured, it could cost them more money for bandwidth or your playing games could slow down someone researching a term paper or someone else do the business of the school. There is also the danger of letting some worm or virus or other malware into the system.

If you don't lioke the school, if you think they misrepresented the facilities, have your parents complain or transfer.

Aug 24, 2005, 12:05 PM
    OK the school doesn't put restictions because finactial problem at the least. The schools is getting more money than it know to do with. And knowing the school has about 100 computers alone with internet, and then probably another 4 in each of the 5 dorm houses, and about 75-80% of the 500 students all with computers. I don't think one of those computers on MSN is going to effect the whole system.
    And about complaining, that will get me no where expect all the teacher to not like me, and for transfer I don't think that's an option, as much as I chose to go to this school, I think I'm stuck in it for now. I'm in Grade 11 by the way.

Aug 24, 2005, 06:17 PM
    Do you have access to the school's financial records? Do you see their their P&Ls? Unless you have seen them, you don't know what their financial position. Very few schools make a huge amount of money. Even prestigious prep schools. Generally schools are run for education with the financial emphasis paying the bills and not on making a large profit.

Sure, one computer on MSN isn't going to make a big difference in bandwidth. But if they removed the restrictions do you really think it would only be you doing it? The restrictions are there to prevent any overuse.

I have to say it, but you sound like a typical 11th grader, selfish and self-centered. Your concerned only about your own interests and convenience with no concern for others.

Scott<>

Aug 25, 2005, 02:43 PM
    No I haven't seen an proof of their financail position, but with the money that they get from the student is ridiculious. Without getting into detail they definitely use all their ablility to get the most amount of money from their students as they can, they abuse the "charge it to your parent" power (so basically student don't pay they just sign and that's that, they never see the other end of the bill) therefore the student loose the concept of money and tend to spent more and more often cause to them its just signing a piece of paper! That to me is a form of taking advantage of their power.

Yes I do agree that the school doesn't need a Overuse of MSN, but I think there is a medium that can me met, the school doesn't seem to think the same way. So if the school doesn't change well I had to try to take care of it myself, but as you can see its not going over too well.

Self Centered! Are you kinding me, OK steal or doing something morally wrong is one thing, but it is not self centered just wanting to play a video game. And second me of all 11th graders am probably the least Selfish, I can't prove that of course, but look I did just go on about for I think the school abuses the power of charging to their parent who actually have to come up with the money.

Aug 25, 2005, 03:58 PM
    Again you don't know their financial position. A company may be raking in money hand over fist, but their expenses might be very high so their profit may be low or non-existent. Most schools run very close to the vest. Most of any profit they make (if they do) is plowed back into the school. Running a school has a very high overhead. You may think their methods as taking advantage, but unless you know what their overhead is and how much profit they actually make you really can't complain.

No I'm not kidding you. Your first paragraph is just another example of your being self centered. Instead of stopping to consider the other side (what it costs to run the school), you are looking only at what you (or your parents) spend). That's being self centered. This whole thing has been about what YOU want. Even when I've tried to show your that there are other viewpoints that you have to consider, you ignore that, focusing only on what you want and what you know. That's self centered. Buyt like I said, that's typical for an 11th grader.

Scott<>

Aug 25, 2005, 05:03 PM
    Well for the financial position fine I guess I'll never be able to be sure of what I think I might know.

But as to the Self centered part, I don't think thinking about my parent is self centered if I was truly selfish I would care and would spend away all the money I could. I have stopped to consider what the school position is, and if I really thought it was that desperate or low profit in anyway I probably wouldn't be say all this. So I have thought of that I through what I got out of my think was it wouldn't do any harm.
    And I guess this has been all about ME, well I really don't know why I would ask for help on a FORUM other wise, you don't see too many people posting comments about wanting to help people? Sorry if that sound a little to like a smart , but its true. Well stop the whole ME thing then well what do suppose? Just drop the subject and live with it and do nothing. Well that's great and all, but I really do still think it isn't wrong with trying to get around it. Like you might say it's unethical, but I don't think it's Morally wrong...
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 25, 2005, 05:17 PM
    Why the HELL did you decide to go to a private high school? What country do you live in?

Here's a perspective from the US. The public K-12 school system in the country is sub-par because some wealthy parents think their kids are just too good for public education and instead spend hoardes of money paying for expensive private schools that may or may not confer a better education, and then vote against measures that would increase government funding for the starving public school system that desperately needs just a fraction of what you paid to enroll in your private school. Education is a RIGHT, not a PRIVILEGE, just like healthcare should be.

In any case, bear in mind that you probably signed some sort of legal document stating what you can and cannot do with respect to your school network. If you break the conditions in said document, you will probably be subject to some sort of discipline. Bear this in mind if you try anything: you are taking a risk. Whether the risk is worth it is your decision.

That said, it sounds like you (and your parents) were deceived as to the restrictions placed on your internet access. This is all based on what you said (and, of course, you may have not written the whole truth), but it sounds like your parents transferred a fair amount of money, partially meant to give YOU the communication and information benefits of the internet, and without knowledge that your communication benefits would be cut off (no MSN messenger), and that your information benefits would be horribly restricted (content controls). If this is true, who was acting unethically? If I sold you a house, and told you the phone lines were in perfect condition, and after the purchase you found that there was no wiring for a phone at all, who is acting unethically?

What you do with the following information is YOUR responsibility. This is publicly available information, and can be found with your favorite search engine. Keep in mind that what is legal using your own network may not be legal if you are using a network you do not have permission to mess around with, and that a SMART sysadmin should be able to notice you are doing something "different."

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Firewall-Piercing/

Aug 25, 2005, 05:30 PM
    Well I am from Canada B.C. to be exact. Well about the legal document, well I probably did, not sure. But I knew well before I ask this question that it was a risk I was going to take, and I am the kind of person and looks at all the angle of a discision too.
    As for the unethical behavior on the school behalf, well trying to sell a school to someone to benefit ones self is debateble, but I wasn't paying and fully expecting MSN, but I had the impression that I would and nothing was said about not. They never said I didn't have it, they just said I didn't, I guess me and my parent made the mistake of not asking.
    I will look it the site you posted, and to Scott I will take into consideration what I do with what ever Information I find out.

Aug 25, 2005, 09:02 PM
    Hey I was looking at that site, does it have to be that complicated, It might not be to you, but I was hoping maybe a bit simpler.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 25, 2005, 09:45 PM
    hey I was looking at that site, does it have to be that complicated, It might not be to you, but I was hoping maybe a bit simpler.
    Heh... if you want something like MSN messenger to work, you've got a lot of reading to do. ;)

It's not as complicated as it looks.

Aug 25, 2005, 10:13 PM
    Well then I guess I will have a lot a reading, but what about just getting to surf controlled sites, and the big one will being able to login in to Star Wars Galaxies Server. How will I do that.

Or with downloading music this is the least of my request, but Im curious to know if I can
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Aug 26, 2005, 02:05 PM
    Howdy:

I am sure you aren't the first "student" that tried to bypass that school's acceptable use computer policy nor will you be the last..

I would suspect the IT Department has seen every trick in the book and all you are going to do is get your computer/internet privileges suspended or terminated!

Rightly so and deserved I would say!

Murray
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2005, 02:40 AM
    Msn
    Hi,
    I don't know of any way to get around the fact that MSN and others are not allowed. The Administrator of the network has control.
    You might try a search engine, such as google.com; to accomplish what you wish.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Aug 27, 2005, 03:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I don't know of any way to get around the fact that MSN and others are not allowed. The Administrator of the network has control.
    You might try a search engine, such as google.com; to accomplish what you wish.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    Fred,
    You didn't think that PSI, Murray and myself didn't cover the issue completely? What possible reason could you have for adding that totally superfluous response?

Scott<>

Aug 27, 2005, 02:09 PM
    Now that's funny.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I have proxy [ 14 Answers ]

I am living in saudi arabia, here a lot of webs closed and not allowed to open and I want to know if there way to open close web from proxy in web, so if you know that there is proxy in any site I hope that you can tell me .

Do you keep HM after school is over? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone keeps their Homework/Class work after the school semester is over? I do but not all of it.

About School [ 2 Answers ]

I happened to be very aggressive most of the time in school I mean just by someone looking at me it seeems to me like I got to do somethng about it because its going to hurt me and this has gotten me to be very popular in school with students and staff I mean students like me cause I won't beat up...

Internet sharing - analog x proxy problem [ 1 Answers ]

hi, I'm having difficulty sharing Internet connection to my other PC using analog x proxy software. My type of internet connection is dial-up. I have 2 PCs at home. Computer A has pentium 4 cpu, winxp sp2 installed, hard disk partitioned in ntfs while computer b has a pentium celeron cpu,...

Problem with proxy server & ports [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I have been using the Analog X proxy server to access the internet across my network as I had a system crash with Windows XP which has blanked the screen which should show my internet sharing and network settings, unregistered files and deleted DLL files, and it is the only way to get...

View more questions Search