Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SRMcDonald Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Conservation of Energy With a Swing
    Betty weighs 420 N and she is sitting on a playground swing seat that hangs 0.40 m above the ground. Tom pulls the swing back and releases it when the seat is 1.00 m above the ground.

a. How fast is Betty moving when the swing passes through its lowest position?

b. If Betty moves through the lowest point at 2.0 m/s, how much work was done on the swing by friction?
    a. 0 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 0
    1/2mv^2 = mgh
    v=sqrt(2gh) = 3.43 m/s

b. I'm not sure how to do this, so I had to hazard a guess:

KE top + PE top = KE bottom + PE bottom + Work of friction

=> 0 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 0 + Wf
    => mgh - 1/2mv^2 = Wf
    => (420 N)(0.60 m) - 1/2(420 N/9.80 m/s^2)(2.0 m/s)^2 = Wf

= 166 J

Where is the friction coming from? Is it air resistance against the swing that's accelerating downwards? Then wouldn't the work be negative since it's working upwards while she's still traveling downwards? I'm kind of confused here; I'd really appreciate the help.

I did my answers sloppily so if you don't know what I'm doing, I can edit it.

Thanks in advance. :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 02:14 PM
    You have correct answers for both parts - good work! The fact that the swing is only going at 2 m/s, whereas in an ideal case she would be moving at 3.43 m/s, tells you that she has lost kinetic energy somehow. Something did work to slow her down - it could be air resistance as you surmise. However, keep in mind that work is always positive - it's not a vector, and there is no such thing as negative work. So always treat work and KE as positive numbers (there may be a change in kinetic enery that's negative, but the KE of an object is always positive).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Conservation of mass [ 1 Answers ]

What is the conservation of mass?

Is there no energy conservation [ 2 Answers ]

When we look at a particle's rest frame its energy is Mc^2. But the particle decay has some width, so the products of the particle,generally, will have total energy different than Mc^2. How can it be, is there no energy conservation.

Conservation of mass [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to see if I am going in the right direction with these types of problems: Ammonia gas and 0.365 g of hydrogen chloride gas react to give 0.535 g of solid ammonium chloride. What is the mass of ammonia that reacted? 0.365 g HCl + mass of ammonia = 0.535 g of ammonia chloride...

View more questions Search