Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suzz Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2007, 12:51 PM
    1 month later not gaining weight
    Hello,

For a little background my previous post on this kitty is here... https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cats/w...ng-111059.html

A month later and he is refusing to eat basically, though he is drinking a little. We have tried tuna, sardines, chicken, rice, potted meat, beef, iams dry food, cream cheese, and meow mix market selects "canned" food. Midnite basically ignores all of it, except that 3 nights ago he ate a few bites of the MM canned food, but last night I gave him the same variety and he never touched it.

He was checked at the vet again last week and had lost another lb. though the vet declined my husband's request to re-xray him, and said to bring him back in another month. He said the only other thing we could do is take him to the vet med center 2 hrs away for testing and that could run about $5000. I love this cat but I don't have that kind of money and can't even borrow that kind of cash.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions as to what I might tempt him with or what supplement I might be able to poke down his throat that could help him? Please... any suggestion is welcome.
    Chillypip Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2007, 03:27 AM
    My cat had the same thing. If she's an indoor cat, try Go Cat Indoor dry food. And by all means, don't give her any dairy products as cats are Lactose Intolerant.

Good Luck!
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Aug 20, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Winstrol is a narcotic that many vets keep on hand for this very reason.It encourages animals to eat.Prednisone is also used for animals like this.Has your vet tried this yet.It is very inexpensive and will make the cat very hungry,this is why people don't like taking steroids is the weight gain they cause.Prednisone is about $3.00 for 30 pills,and I think this is something you should try,given the cats current condition.If this does not work,more than likely nothing will.Also try hill's science diet prescription a/d in a can.All animals love this food,and we give it to all of the animals we treat at our hospital when they are weak.Please tell you vet you want to try steroids,you are running out of time, and this may save your cat's life.Please let us know how the cat is doing.
    Suzz Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Thank you for all the advice and thoughts regarding my daughter's Midnite. However, in the end there was nothing we could do for him. He passed last night here at home looking at his girl with her rubbing him and talking to him.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Suzz bless your family, I am very sorry .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I gaining weight? [ 5 Answers ]

About a month ago I decided I need to lose weight, I have started walking 30min a day 5x a week, stopped eating fast food, junk food and drinking soda. I eat breakfast now rather than skip it I sip on water all day about 6-8 glasses and I have been eating pretty healthy food (lots of fruits and...

Gaining weight? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get me pitbull to gain weight?

Trying to lose weight, gaining it instead [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am going to skip the small talk and get right to my question (as I know you don't want to read a novel here). And obviously my question is in relation to weight loss.. so, basically, I have tried everything I know to try-and I'm coming up with no results. This is no exaggeration.. I end...

Why am I not gaining weight [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been lifting weights for about two month now eating good healthy food, and taking protein shakes at least three times a day. The problem is I am not gaining weight I am in fact losing weight. Why? I am lifting three days a week for at least an hour a day if not longer, but I am not...

View more questions Search