Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilash07 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 11:43 AM
    1st dr. visit
    I was wondering what do they do when you go to find out if your pregnant?I imagine a test but is that all?:confused:
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 12:09 PM
    They will have you pee in a cup. If you ask for a blood test, they will draw blood. Some doctors may do a vaginal exam.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Most of the time, for your first visit, you will take a urine sample (checking for the pregnancy hormone, protein in urine, possible bladder infections, etc. its also a good way for them to be able to tell if you are drinking enough water. If its dark yellow, they will likely instruct you to drink a lot more water.) they will take your blood pressure, give you a pap smear/vaginal exam, most will also examine your breasts, and feel your stomach, ask a few questions.the whole thing doesn't take much longer, or differ much for an annual exam. I am guessing you have found out you are pregnant, so congrats to you
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 12:19 PM
    I think she is trying to determine If she is pregnant...
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Oops! I miss read that. I thought it said "when you find out you are pregnant" not "when you GO to find out" thanks for catching that hun. Guess that's what I get for answering posts while breastfeeding, folding laundry and watching a movie at the same time! Hah
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Lol... we all do it. :)

Also, I want to add that where you go will make a difference. A clinic will most likely not do as much as your GYN would. Good luck!
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Depending on when you tell them your last period was, the doctor may also check for a heartbeat after confirming pregnancy with the pee or blood test. If your period is sx weeks late, many will check for a heartbeat. At least that's what mine did.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buggage
    Most of the time, for your first visit, you will take a urine sample (checking for the pregnancy hormone, protein in urine, possible bladder infections, etc. its also a good way for them to be able to tell if you are drinking enough water. If its dark yellow, they will likely instruct you to drink a lot more water.) they will take your blood pressure, give you a pap smear/vaginal exam, most will also examine your breasts, and feel your stomach, ask a few questions.the whole thing doesnt take much longer, or differ much for an annual exam. I am guessing you have found out you are pregnant, so congrats to you
    This is what they will do at your first exam. Most doctors will do all of this even just to determine pregnancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

On probation as of feb 1st I have question,can I leave state for a college visit ? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: HELP!! OK I've been placed on probation for the next 3 yrs of my life.this is my first offense.I'm 21.I am scheduled to go to Arizona in march for 3 days for college campus visits.I live in ny.What are my chances of getting to leave state?My probation officer said "it's going to be...

Visit to antigua [ 3 Answers ]

Can you tell me what are the do's and donts of visit to antigua.will b visiting mid feb.how is the tourist inflow in this month.

Customer Visit [ 1 Answers ]

How to write a thank you letter to an wlite customer who visited us by finding some time within his busy schedule

Visit me [ 2 Answers ]

visit me at my website which will soon have video game information on it. Site under construction I would like the people who go there to private message me

View more questions Search