Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Voyageman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 10:46 AM
    Online collaboration/sharing websites
    I am looking for a place that will act as our online "home base" so family members in four cities can privately connect/collaborate/share photos, notes, docs, chat, instant messaging, all in the same place using the same service. So far, I am looking into groupee.com, myspace.com, grouper.com, groove.net, strongspace.com. Any recommendations, other suggestions? Thanks.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2005, 11:07 AM
    Before the dot.com bust there were tons of free services on the web for collaboration but now the free stuff is mostly gone. If all your members are registered with Yahoo it can offer all those functions I believe: Calendar, Briefcase, Groups, Messenger, etc.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2005, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyageman
    I am looking for a place that will act as our online "home base" so family members in four cities can privately connect/collaborate/share photos, notes, docs, chat, instant messaging, all in the same place using the same service. So far, I am looking into groupee.com, myspace.com, grouper.com, groove.net, strongspace.com. Any recommendations, other suggestions? Thanks.
    Recently, several places like Myspace and others have grown up as advertising revenue has increased, making it possible to offer such a free service. However, from what I've been able to see of them, they tend mostly to be the home of teens. As parents have moved away from AOL for a variety of reasons, mostly related to its costs. These places have gotten the attention of the many who used to use AOL as their community center.

I would consider using Yahoo for a variety of reasons. Their Yahoo Groups site is free and provides just about all the features you ask for. Message boards, chat, file transfer and storage, photo gallery, calendar and more. In addition, Yahoo has one of the 4 major Instant Messaging groups. Yahoo groups can be unlisted and by invitation only to keep it private.
    Voyageman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 04:11 PM
    Thanks. I found a great site www.backpackit.com. Also considered www.basecamp.com and www.jot.com
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Aug 22, 2005, 05:41 PM
    Myfamily.com is another site my wife's family is involved in. Sounds like you have a lot of different sites to choose from. Good luck.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 03:20 AM
    Another angle - that required a bit more money and effort, but well worth it: You can do exactly as you please as far as design and layout go - and don't have to have all the advertisements on your site:

A domain will cost $30 for 5 years (I use GoDaddy

A good host (I use Lunarpages ) runs $95 for a year.

Then make the site yourself. Dreamweaver Academic verision is just $100 - and pretty easy to learn.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2005, 03:27 AM
    A Group
    Hi,
    Another suggestion would be to become the founder of a Yahoo Group.
    You can give the Group a name, then invite members to join, only those you want to join.
    As moderator, you can set it up so no one can join, unless you invite them. Also, security is very good, so no one can search your Group, or even view it, unless you give them permission to be a member. You can do message posts anytime, set it up to send an email to that member that they have a message. Also, can post photos, start your own photo pages, etc.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    PS; It's all free.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 03:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Another suggestion would be to become the founder of a Yahoo Group.
    You can give the Group a name, then invite members to join, only those you want to join.
    As moderator, you can set it up so no one can join, unless you invite them. Also, security is very good, so no one can search your Group, or even view it, unless you give them permission to be a member. You can do message posts anytime, set it up to send an email to that member that they have a message. Also, can post photos, start your own photo pages, etc.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    PS; It's all free.
    Dude, two reponses in this thread already said that.
    You drinking again?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 03:56 AM
    I give a big thumbs down to Yahoo Groups. It's a klutzy format - and nothing nearly like a website... or even a typical forum (like this one) for that matter.

With a website, you could have a separate page for every family - or every city - or however else you'd like to organize it.

I say your 1st best option is Googling for "free website hosting" OR "free websites", and see if you like what the various companies offer.

If you find them too limiting - or that they have too many ads on them, then consider doing it yourself, as I suggested earlier.

A third option is to have someone do the site for you. You'd have the same expense of about $120 per year for the domain and host, plus whatever the person would charge to build and maintain it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't see images on some websites [ 4 Answers ]

I get a cross instead of a picture or banner on some sites. Can anybody please advise. Thanks. Jim.

Blocking Websites [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way, on Internet Explorer, or Firefox, to block websites? I am sick of being embarrassed because my IP log count is so high on people's blogs that I no longer have contact with, due to differences. I think there is, but I can't seem to find it, only an option in which to tag sites so...

Websites as Seen on TV [ 6 Answers ]

How many people log onto a website they see flash across their screen during a TV show, movie, live newscast, etc. Not including website commercials, just random sites you see during a program.

Blocking Websites [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to stop anybody that goes on my computer from accessing www.kazza.com Or from accessing Yahoo messenger??

View more questions Search