Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hilaryfortnum Posts: 49, Reputation: 4

Aug 16, 2007, 04:57 AM
    What Would Jesus Do?
    An American Preacher once said to me (through the God Channel, Sky Channel 760) that, when I am faced with every day travails (such as which way up to have my eggs) I should ask myself “What Would Jesus Do?”

You can imagine the difficulty this has now given me, having not read all of the bible, when I am faced with everyday decisions. Today I am faced with this conundrum.

My brother Clive has asked me to help him, this weekend, pick up and assemble some garden furniture which he has ordered from B&Q Leeds whereas my wife Anne wants me to take her to Harrogate so she can pick up some bits and bobs and get a birthday present for her sister Maude.

Where does Jesus stand on double-booking yourself for shopping expeditions?
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 16, 2007, 05:09 AM
    Maybe you could help your brother in the morning and go shopping in the afternoon or visa versa :)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 05:12 AM
    "What would Jesus do?" does not refer to those everyday tasks such as deciding how to make your eggs for breakfast. I would even daresay it does not apply when you are trying to decide which task to honor; helping your wife or your friend. Common sense will tell you to help your wife first and then help your friend after. Explain to your friend that you have the commitment to your wife and then are free to help him. If he does not understand then you have learned the valuable lesson in not over extending yourself and making two commitments for the same time.

Now others may disagree with me.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 16, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Your dry Yorkshire humour made me laugh real hard! I hope you're being as sarcastic as I think you are!

I'm sure Jesus would perform a miracle, and do both!

Now, seeing as the option with your brother seems to have the possibility of manliness, a couple of beers and the great outdoors (all be it the garden!) versus shopping... in Leeds of all places... with the wife - I know what Jesus would have done!

He hung out with 13 mates, drank loads of wine (even turned a shed-load of water into it!), and sat around outside (often on mountain-tops!) telling each other amazing stories! Jesus was a real man's-man! Come on, he had a beard and everything!

See if you can rope one of your wives mates into going shopping with her, then you kick back and enjoy your weekend!

Lol!

Welcome to AMHD Hilary!

;)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Hello Hillary:

Your premise is that Jesus would overbook. He's a Jew. Jews don't do that.

excon
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 16, 2007, 02:08 PM
    From Proverbs 25:

24 Better to live on a corner of the roof
    Than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

Also something about cleaving:)

Also Jesus was not married [ maybe to the church?] and answered solely to His Father.

In any case, I would cast my vote toward the Mrs.

Grace and Peace
    giani513 Posts: 179, Reputation: 47

Aug 16, 2007, 11:54 PM
    I think Jesus was the first to say "Bros before Hos". Sorry it seems so fitting. Jesus taught many things... love thy neighbor, do unto others, etc. "what would Jesus do?" is the kind of question you would ask yourself when a morality situation came up. Whether you should help your wife or help your brother is not a moral dilemma. Since they are both family and both love you, why not ask one of them to pick another date, or decide by time constraints.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 05:48 AM
    The first commitment that you make is the one you have to honor without asking the first to allow you out ofit.
    americangayboy Posts: 220, Reputation: 38

Sep 17, 2007, 09:30 PM
    I about died reading this question and the subsequent answers. Maybe it should've been posted in a humor thread.
    pedant Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2007, 08:50 PM
    From past experience I've generally found that asking myself what jesus would do is often not the best course of action especially when providing additional food for dinner guests or providing alcohol on a budget! And the less said about boat races the better!
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Sep 24, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Its not really brain surgery. >_<
    Jesus didn't shop.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 03:13 PM
    One thing I do not think Jesus would do is build a bits and bobs store next to the garden store. Life isn't a garden of bits and bobs!
    FORk out the loot and tell them to do their own shopping!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jesus, Your Name [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Michael Oaks, I am 74 years young and need desperately to find the artists name to a contemporary Christian song that I heard around 1985 from my home in Grants Pass, Oregon. The station originated from Redding California. I have long since lost the tape; however I would love to know...

Jesus was. [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, at a theological meeting in Rome, scholars had a heated debate on the subject of the ethnicity and nationality of Jesus. One by one they offered their evidence: Jesus was... Recently, at a theological meeting in Rome, scholars had a heated debate on the subject of the ethnicity and...

Jesus is a way ? [ 54 Answers ]

If jesus christ is the only way as the bible says. What is the fate of millions of people born into other religions as it seems thatmost peoples beliefs are as a result of the fact that they were born into a particular faith and their parents thought them to follow that faith?

Jesus and God [ 12 Answers ]

1 John 2:1 MY little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: An advocate is someone who pleads another's case before a judge, in this case God. I remembered this verse two days ago and...

Jesus [ 17 Answers ]

When did jesus learn he was christ?

View more questions Search