Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damocles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 04:30 AM
    How to spruce up a house for a party
    I'm reciprocating a dinner party for some new workmates, but I don't earn nearly as much as them and my home is much smaller and a bit run down, with much cheaper furniture. It's not dirty or broken - just not as nice, and the furniture is much cheaper.
    How can I dress it up a bit on a budget for when I have them over?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2007, 05:47 AM
    I would say don't try to make your house into something its not. Your workmates should like you, not your financial standing.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 10:37 PM
    I do agree with that answer above. But, I would like to add a few things.

Granted, you aren't trying to impress anyone. But, you do want people to feel comfortable and at home while they are there. Also, for them to be treated as guests. To be a guest in someone's home in the traditional sense, is very much like receiving a nice gift. You treat your guests as though you are giving them a gift. The warmth of your heart and your organization in preparing for such an event will accomplish the foregoing things.

Throws that look really nice can be put over couches or chairs. They can add a fresh look to a couch or a chair. Please put an ample supply of clean towels hanging in the bathroom that people will use. More than one towel. Guests will appreciate that.

It may not be the season for people requiring coats or jackets where you live, but if it is, then I would suggest having a place where they could hang their wraps rather than stacking them on a bed, chairs or couches.

If you have a pet such as a cat, then it would help to know if someone is allergic to cats. If someone is, then you make everything as clean as possible - carpets, floors, cushions, etc. Then, put the cat in the basement for the event or have a friend take care of the cat.

If you are having these workmates over in the evening, then having lit candles around can add a nice, classy touch.

Yours may not be a large group, but if it is, say ten to twenty people, then I would suggest arranging chairs so that everyone can mingle with everyone.

If you need to borrow anything from anyone else, please don't be afraid to ask. Plates, silverware, towels, decorations to hang or place on certain types of tables, live plants/flowers, even furniture, etc.

If having food, then you could have everyone bring something. Ask them and then assign it to them based upon what they would like to bring and what others are already bringing. It's easy to do. You could provide one, main thing, like a meat dish or beverages, and then have everyone else bring something else.

Music can play a very important part to a gathering. If you have some type of stereo equipment, then have music ready to play softly in the background. If you are lacking some type of music that you know would be popular, then I would suggest borrowing it.

I list what I have in an effort to help you in preparing to have guests over to your home. I love to entertain. I live in a fairly nice, older home. Nothing too exciting as far as my furnishings are concerned. Lots of dead relatives furniture and stuff from rummage and garage sales.

I have the neighborhood Christmas Party at my home. I also have people over at Christmastime and other times of the year that I am mutually involved with concerning various clubs and organizations. I do everything that I have mentioned to you above. It's easy to spruce things up a bit in order to help to make people feel comfortable without having to cost you much money at all.
    bbwglamgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 09:00 PM
    I find that just clearing off the counters of all clutter and putting out fresh flowers and candles adds to the atmosphere. Also, fragrance your home-oil burners provide a nice fragrance blast in only 5 minutes. Bath & Body works has a great selection of holiday fragrances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spruce root removal [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a 20+ year old blue spruce removed. It left a lot of roots. How should I remove the roots especially the roots on top of the ground? I want to plant grass in the area. Thanks!

Prunning a Blue Spruce tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have a miniature Blue Spruce which has been in place for some 15 years and is about 15feet high. I want to "prune" some of the lower branches in order to give more sunlight below the tree. Will it hurt the tree to do this? I don't want to do any damage to it and was looking for advice.

Surprise party for ex? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys you've been helpful to me lately so I thought I'd throw this one out there and see what you think. My ex and I broke up about 9months ago and after a month of no contact we've been talking quite regularly. He broke up with me, but he's usually the first to contact me these days. We get...

Third Party Collections [ 1 Answers ]

My son received a settlement offer from a collection agency for half of a balance due to Verizon that was already paid to GTE the original phone company. GTE sent it to collection and I paid it. So it was on my son's credit report for 7 years as late but paid. Now 7 years later another agency is...

Bridal Party [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter and I have been arguing about who is exactly considered the Bridal Party. I say everyone including the flower girls and ring bearer, she insists they are not part of the Bridal Party. I also say that she should buy them a gift? What is the correct ettiquette?

View more questions Search