Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sexc817 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Legal age to move out
    I am 16 years old and I will be turning 17 I'm a couple of months and I was considering moving out when I turn 17 and I was wondering at the age if my grandmother called the police would I still be considered a runaway and what will the police do.:confused:
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Where are you planning on moving to? You can't enter a contract legally at 17, so you won't be able to rent a place. Are you going to stay with another family member, friend, boyfriend?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 08:14 PM
    At 17 you will still be considered a minor and if you ran away, you would be a runaway. If your Grandmother would call the police and the police would find you, you could just be taken back to your Grandmother's home. You could also be referred to the Juvenile authorities about the running away.

What state do you live in? In some states a sixteen year old is able to petition the courts for emancipation. But it is neither an easy nor guaranteed process. You would have to meet certain criteria and the court would need verification that you can actually do the things you need to do on your own - that means without staying at a friend's home, living off someone else, having someone else pay your bills and buy your foods, etc.

If you feel that you cannot stay with your Grandmother then you need to sit down with her and talk about what is bothering you. If consensus can be reached, then perhaps a mediator, such as a casemanager from social services, can be brought in and help settle whatever disputes you are having.

At 16, you only have 2 more years before you are 18 and an adult. What is two more years? Without knowing what all is going on - because you have left out all the details here - that is all I can say. Try to work things out. Running away gets you nothing except placement in a youth home or juvenile center.
    snodgrass91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 09:09 PM
    Can I move out at 17 in Missouri

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal sex age [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 17 and will turn 18 on October 11th but my dad is thinking about putting my boyfriend in jail for being with a minor. My boyfriend is 24. I live in California and I know the age of consent is 18 but do you think the police will really enforce this law when I turn 18 in a month? If you can...

Legal sex age [ 1 Answers ]

What's the legal sex age in Illinois?

Legal Age [ 2 Answers ]

Hey My Names Kristina, I Live in Canada St.Johns Newfoundland. Im Hopeing Someone can answer my question for me cause I've always been wanting to know . Soo Many people tell me different answers. I would like to know what the legal age in Canada for a juvie to leave home with out parental...

Legal age to move out in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

I know weird question but umm.. any of you know the legal age to move out in Canada, I heard its 19 from some people and 18 from the other.. and then the rest tell me its 16. Without parental consent.

Legal age? [ 3 Answers ]

I thought the legal age to work behind a bar was 18 but at my current employment there is a girl of 17 working behind the bar. I spocked to the owner about this and he said no it is 16 now in there U.K, but I just wanted to make sure. Can any one tell me what the legal age is for definite? Thank...

View more questions Search