Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Bush moves toward Martial Law

This would have course literally sets aside Constitutional rights
    During the night of October 27, President George W. Bush has signed a bill into law that changes the Insurrection Act (10 U.S.C.331 -335). Public Law 109-364 allows the president to declare a state of emergency anywhere at any time and move United States troops to suppress any public disorder. It also allows the president to take control of any state troops, forces, or National Guard.

Why do you suppose he has made this move?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow

This would of course literally sets aside Constitutional rights
    During the night of October 27, President George W. Bush has signed a bill into law that changes the Insurrection Act (10 U.S.C.331 -335). Public Law 109-364 allows the president to declare a state of emergency anywhere at any time and move United States troops to suppress any public disorder. It also allows the president to take control of any state troops, forces, or National Guard.

Why do you suppose he has made this move?
    Because both the House (398-23) and Senate (unanimous) voted for changes to the original act in late September of 2006.

One passage was changed.

The original wording of the act which was worded thusly:

.. . insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy.. .

Was changed to include the following:

.. . natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition.

Frankly, I'm not seeing how this changes much of anything in regards to Presidential powers.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    Because both the House (398-23) and Senate (unanimous) voted for changes to the original act in late September of 2006.

One passage was changed.

. . .insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy. . .

. . .natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition.

Frankly, I'm not seeing how this changes much of anything in regards to Presidential powers.
    Incident, or other condition are darn Vague
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Yes, there is always a order that allows that, just as governors have power to bring out the national guard in emergencys. Nothing new, just updating old orders
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, there is always a order that allows that, just as governors have power to bring out the national guard in emergencys. Nothing new, just updating old orders
    This gives the president and not the Governor power over National Guard
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:30 PM

One passage was changed.

. . .insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy. . .

. . .natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition.

Public Law 109-364 allows the president to declare a state of emergency anywhere at any time and move United States troops to suppress any public disorder. It also allows the president to take control of any state troops, forces, or national guard.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:33 PM
    This gives the president and not the Governor power over National Guard
    The President has had the power to take control of the National Guard from State Governors under the Insurrection Act since 1807.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Hello DC:

You were laughing at me earlier when I spoke about the makeup of the troops and the arming of Americans. I wondered whether they would point their guns at Americans... THIS is why I said that, and who do you think the troops he can call out are going to be pointing their guns at??

excon

PS> Well, at lest you're going to be safe in Mexico.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Public Law 109-364 allows the president to declare a state of emergency anywhere at any time and move United States troops to suppress any public disorder. It also allows the president to take control of any state troops, forces, or national guard.
    Right, just as it has since it's passage and ratification about 200 years ago.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello DC:

You were laughing at me earlier when I spoke about the makeup of the troops and the arming of Americans. I wondered whether or not they would point their guns at Americans...... THIS is why I said that, and who do you think the troops he can call out are gonna be pointing their guns at???

excon

PS> Well, at lest you're gonna be safe in Mexico.
    What people fail to recognize is that not only this President, but ones to come can implement martial law when they want; America has been established as a war zone.
    One major attack and martial law can be declared; even though there is a car bombing at a military base in Virginal, troops can be policing the streets of San Diego.

The President is instilling fear almost every day in his comments; when the terrorist cannot possible do the harm Russia could have during the cold war.

Mexico, I have more freedom here than I had in the US since the 60s; and guess what, I can walk down the street with a cigarette with-out worrying about some whacko screeching for me to stop killing her kids.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Right, just as it has since it's passage and ratification about 200 years ago.
    Right, the law was changed but not really changed, because congress needed the experience.:D
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 05:17 PM
    So a President can have an extensive number of soldiers under his command... thus, no need to institute a draft??
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    So a President can have an extensive number of soldiers under his command...thus, no need to institute a draft????
    Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) spoke out vehemently against the provision, as part of an overall defense of the National Guard as a body, which is best employed locally, by the Governor of the state in which the Guard is stationed, and not siphoned off as an auxiliary national force by the White House and Pentagon.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) spoke out vehemently against the provision, as part of an overall defense of the National Guard as a body, which is best employed locally, by the Governor of the state in which the Guard is stationed, and not siphoned off as an auxiliary national force by the White House and Pentagon.
    And yet it passed unanimously in the very same body Leahy is a member of.

Go figger.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 05:59 PM
    And yet it passed unanimously in the very same body Leahy is a member of.

Go figger.
    Yes, for that moment even congress succumbed to fear by the Profit of Doom- but that was because of the administration's poor response to the Hurricane Katrina.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Yes, for that moment even congress succumbed to fear by the Profit of Doom- but that was because of the administration's poor response to the Hurricane Katrina.
    You're really a piece of work, DC.

I'd sure hate to live my life seeing bogeymen under every bed and behind every curtain as you seem to do.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 05:52 AM
    I'm sure everyone remembers during Katrina that President Bush had to inform the Gov of Louisiana ;Gov. Blanco that under Posse Comitatus it was the responsibility of the Gov. to request the use of Federal forces in the state before he could order them there . This in my view contributed to the over-all poor response . The same did not happen in Mississippi .Governor Haley Barbour requested fed. Assistance on Saturday . Blanco did not request fed. Assistance until the Wed. after the storm .

The U.S. military has intervened in domestic affairs some 167 times since the founding of the Republic dating back to President Jefferson .But only when President Bush signs bills to update the provisions are conspiracies of intent concocted .

But I agree with DC and Excon somewhat in that I would tread on restrictions of military use for domestic reasons lightly . Excon hit on the key reason on another posting. I have already seen the Clintonoids with their hands on military power for domestic use. They fire bombed the Branch Davidian's complex at Waco .
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 07:10 AM
    You're really a piece of work, DC.

I'd sure hate to live my life seeing bogeymen under every bed and behind every curtain as you seem to do.
    I don’t understand, I don’t see bogeymen under every bed and behind every curtain….Bush seems to.

You know I remember the cold war quite well, especially that in all those years we never had a Patriot Act.

Whatever the case, your comment does not fit with what I have said.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Someone touched on the vote, so here it is...

Jun 22, 2006: This bill passed in the Senate by Unanimous Consent. A record of each representative's position was not kept.

House: Ayes: 398 (92%) Nays: 23 (5%) No Vote: 12

Why does Bush get the blame when there were only 23 votes against the measure between both houses?
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I'm sure everyone remembers during Katrina that President Bush had to inform the Gov of Louisiana ;Gov. Blanco that under Posse Comitatus it was the responsiblity of the Gov. to request the use of Federal forces in the state before he could order them there . This in my view contributed to the over-all poor response . The same did not happen in Mississippi .Governor Haley Barbour requested fed. assistance on Saturday . Blanco did not request fed. assistance until the Wed. after the storm .

The U.S. military has intervened in domestic affairs some 167 times since the founding of the Republic dating back to President Jefferson .But only when President Bush signs bills to update the provisions are conspiracies of intent concocted .

But I agree with DC and Excon somewhat in that I would tread on restrictions of military use for domestic reasons lightly . Excon hit on the key reason on another posting. I have already seen the Clintonoids with their hands on military power for domestic use. They fire bombed the Branch Davidian's complex at Waco .
    I’m reminded by an event discussed just a few days ago; one of the States just recently removed from law the crime of inter-racial marriage.

Once a law is passed, it only seldom is repealed, but most dangerous of all, is that it can be used as a precedent for getting another law passed; laws are stepping stones to more laws.

On the other side of the isle there was Kent State too; Some of the students who were shot were protesting the American invasion of Cambodia which President Richard Nixon announced in a television address on April 30. However, other students who were shot were merely walking nearby or observing the protest at a distance.

And then came a student strike of eight million students across the country.

When the National Guard are Policing in our streets, there will always be some evil that occurs, but to have our armed forces police the streets will even be worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 yr old son moves back home [ 6 Answers ]

:mad: my son who is twenty couldn't wait to move out and now he's back just as irresponsible as he ever was and disrespectful as well if I try to speak to him on these subject he goes into a screaming rage and don't hear anything I am saying how can I try to get him to understand about priorities...

Are Bush and Cheney above the Law? [ 5 Answers ]

Yesterday, Senator Patrick Leahy called Bush's refusal to release White House documents, "Nixonian stonewalling." Leahy added, "In America, no one is above law."1 When Bush refused to comply with Congressional subpoenas regarding the U.S. Attorneys firing scandal he was really flaunting his...

NY/NJ - two jobs, three moves [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My question relates to the credit for NY income on my NJ state taxes. I lived and worked in NJ from January through August, and during that time, I got a sign-on bonus from my future NYC employer. I then moved to NYC and worked in NYC from September - November. In December, I moved back...

Girlfriend-fiance moves away without saying a word [ 7 Answers ]

She moves away without telling me and we were together for 5 years its sounds harsh and the break up was when you break up wihtout no closure advive for me would be nice to work this out.

Cold water handle moves on its own [ 3 Answers ]

Have a two handled faucet in a clawfoot tub. Pressure is fine for both hot and cold, however when the shower is running the cold water knob slowly moves toward the closed position. In otherwords, the handle actually moves on its own. You have to continually open it back up in order to keep your...

View more questions Search