Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trainwreck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Shoplifting fine
    About two months ago I was caught trying to shoplift a $2 mascara from zellers in montreal. The reasons are unimportant, but suffice to say it was very unlike me. My first time, etc. last week I received a letter from zellers' lawyers demanding a payment of $475. I've consulted a few help-workers involved with community organizations who couldn't (legally) give me advice on what to do, but one person kind of inferred that I should ignore it and wait to see if it's followed up. I've tried getting in touch with the lawyers who sent me the letter (to no avail), and I'm currently doing... nothing. Let me make this clear: I am ashamed of what I tried to do, but I also think it's unfair (hippocritical? Maybe.) to be being charged 500 tims the amount of what I tried to steal, especially as I was nothing but co-operative with the security I dealt with at the time. I'm the kind of person who has trouble j-walking. Any advice would be very much appreciated, tw
    Dave987 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Ok, talk to the shop owner where you shop lifted, apologies and say, look, here's some money for your problems ($50) and I'm sure he'll be happy with that. I would, just as long as it doesn't occur again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 04:23 PM
    I understand from dozens of other posts this is common practice in your area, for the store to receive a very large compensation amount. My understanding is that if you don't pay, they will cause more legal issues with you. But the last thing you want to do is ignore it, you may go talk to them and try to work out a lower payment, or work out a payment plan on the amount but after lawyers are involved ignoring it will not make it better.
    MZOONY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 01:08 AM
    Just curious, so what happened in the end?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 31, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave987 View Post
    Ok, talk to the shop owner where you shop lifted, apologies and say, look, heres some money for your problems ($50) and im sure he'll be happy with that. I would, just as long as it doesn't occur again.

"I'm sure" does not qualify as legal advice. This advice is incorrect.
    trainwreck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Nothing's happened yet... like I'd said before: I tried to contact the lawyers and left my contact info, but no one's gotten back to me. I had read an article in now magazine, a free periodical out of toronto, about the giant stores apparently sending out these fines and then not following up on them... I don't know if even has a statute of limitations or what, or if I will get another letter in a few months telling me I owe them a grand, or what. Thanks dor asking...
    MZOONY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 07:38 AM
    You might want to try and send a registered mail to the lawyer.
    Explaining your position, this way you are sure that he/she has received some reply from you and there is proof that you did try and contact him/her.

You may stress your point that while you agree you did something wrong and there should be some fine.
    The amount you received does not fit the crime, (almost sounds like extortion).
    What you did was not right but what they are trying to do is also not right and two wrongs do not make a right.

While it would not be good for you to have this taken to court. Since you have already admitted guilt, and a court conviction means also a criminal record.
    And since you already admitted guilt you can represent yourself.
    It also would not be good for them. It would be costly (they have to use their lawyer's time) and they also run the risk that the judge may throw the case out, (they do not like to waist their time on petty crimes). Or may even judge on your favor and agree the fine might be too excessive.
    Another avenue you may want to try, is to contact Zellers. You can send an email to their administration, (this might not change anything), but at least you can express your feelings about this, and that while they may make a short term gain by this, they would still end up losing a long term customer.

You should also read what you received very carefully and if you decide to pay the fine, make sure that somewhere it says that paying the fine would absolve any further attempt to have you prosecuted for this.
    Good luck
    Let us know what was the result
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MZOONY View Post
    You might want to try and send a registered mail to the lawyer.
    Explaining your position, this way you are sure that he/she has received some reply from you and there is proof that you did try and contact him/her.

You may stress your point that while you agree you did something wrong and there should be some fine.
    The amount you received does not fit the crime, (almost sounds like extortion).
    What you did was not right but what they are trying to do is also not right and two wrongs do not make a right.

While it would not be good for you to have this taken to court. Since you have already admitted guilt, and a court conviction means also a criminal record.
    And since you already admitted guilt you can represent yourself.
    It also would not be good for them. It would be costly (they have to use their lawyer's time) and they also run the risk that the judge may throw the case out, (they do not like to waist their time on petty crimes). Or may even judge on your favor and agree the fine might be too excessive.
    Another avenue you may want to try, is to contact Zellers. You can send an email to their administration, (this might not change anything), but at least you can express your feelings about this, and that while they may make a short term gain by this, they would still end up loosing a long term customer.

You should also read what you received very carefully and if you decide to pay the fine, make sure that somewhere it says that paying the fine would absolve any further attempt to have you prosecuted for this.
    Good luck
    Let us know what was the end result

I have no idea where you get your "legal" information but this is basically not correct.

Did you read the other answers?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplifting? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, So I'm trying to remail calm and composed as I type this... I'm currently at work and cannot leave to deal with this situation until later tonight. So I just heard from my mom that a family member (of legal age) of mine has been arrested (as is in jail) as I type this for shoplifting. For...

Shoplifting [ 21 Answers ]

Please Help Me. I Was Caught By The Security Of The Store, For Thye First Time. They Got Back The Jacket I Stole (200 Dollars), And Called The Security Of The Mall, The Guy Banded Me Of Showing Up In The Mall For A Year. Then They Called For A Police, Police Gave Me A Ticket Of 65 Dollars. Because...

Shoplifting [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Dear, I am 19 years old. I was shoplifting four days ago and I was caught by the security in Zellers. I got a fingerprint date and court date which is next month and I am fined under $5000.00. I am really nervous and don't know what to do, I can't sleep at nights and neither can concentrate...

About shoplifting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my sister and I went shopping at JcPenny's. We went in the same dressing room together and while I was trying on clothes she slipped clothing in her bag and my bag. We owere stopped when coming out of the store and the people took us to the back and they told her that she would get papers in the...

Shoplifting under $40 [ 7 Answers ]

So I made a wrong decision out of a stupid challenge with a friend and shoplifted 40$ worth o stuff at JC penney in Kansas and got caught when we were exiting the store. I came clean and the police officer came there and gave me a court date to appear next month. I am very scared as to what is...

View more questions Search