Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Gay is a sin, so is speeding ( breaking the law) over eating ( being to fat)
    drinking, adultry and more. I don't see the issue, man are sinners, the only issue I ever have is that most gay do not want to admit it is a sin and just go on from there, but perfer to try to either change the bible or start some new religion.

I know I shock some and most will not believe I do have gay friends, not only from high school but had several neighbors in Atlanta. I have been to dinner parties at their home, had them in my home. I had a couple gay ( or lesbian I guess) bosses in Atlanta and they were OK bosses.

Just as I would not want a person living unmarried to his girlfriend being a pastor, I would not want a gay person living with their partner as a pastor either. We have a couple celebrate gay ministers in our group and I have no trouble with that.

I doubt I have a single person in the congregation any Sunday morning that is not a sinner of some level, and all need to work on improving their life. I have always just had the issue when they don't wish to admit their sin. But yes you do hear about abuse and murder even within the gay community, but since most states don't reconise their relatinships, it is not reported that way or recorded as a record. And since a big part at times of the murder issue is money, since in most states the life partner has no properrty rights if the other dies, so part or the major issue to these murders ( money) does not apply to the other.
    I am only addressing this verry bluntly because it was a direct question,
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes sadly some churches have left Christianity and are supporting actual sin. Sad that they perfer to leave the teachings of thier faith to be popular or accepted by todays culture. And of course we are not judgeing anything, since God has declared certain things right or wrong.
    1 Thes 5:21 Prove all things hold fast that wich is good, So by what standard do we prove all things, Only by the word of God. And actually if you continue to read the rest of Matthew about judging, you will see that it actually instructs us to judge in two ways. first we are to judge sin in our own lives, then with pure attitude we are to help our friends and brothers judge ther error that might be in thier own life.
    And the church itself has been instructed to judge as in 1John 4:1

So as in anything, theft, drunkeness, adultry and of course homosexual activities are all sin, not my opinion, not my judgement, but Gods.
    But as Jesus would say to them that repent, your sins are forgiven go and sin no more.
    I'll obviously have to spread it. But this says it all. As for actually being gay, I personally believe it's a combination of genetics and early life experiences that make one become gay. However, as Fr. Chuck already said, anyone, whether gay or straight, can choose whether to engage in sexual relations, with someone of the same or opposite gender. Biblically, it's a sin to engage in homosexual-type relations. And it's a sin to engage in heterosexual-type relations unless married to the person. Anyone, gay or straight, can choose to be celibate. Being attracted doesn't automatically compel you to engage in sexual acts, whether of the gay or straight variety.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 09:46 PM
    Why the hell does god have to be brought into this discussion. I didn't see the OP ask anything about whether it is a sin or not. I didn't see the OP mention the word god. He may not even believe in the character.

I know most of you Christians have areal hard time accepting that not everyone believes like you. You struggle with the concept that many of us struggle with the concept of christianity that you so fiercely preach.

But please when a kid comes here and ask in a Teen forum a serious question about being gay can we leave god at the door where he belongs. He didn't post this in religion. He didn't mention the word god. If he did then I would say go ahead. But he didn't. So why must every time the gay lifestyle is mentioned must it turn into a god discussion.

I don't see you people doing it when someone asks about Theft Under 5000 or whatever. That's a sin. Why don't you rant on about his holiness then? I suspect it is because most of you are so offended by the gay lifestyle that you don't miss a chance to have your dig. Picking and choosing which sins are worse. Get over it.

To the OP. Whether being gay is a choice or not I don't really know. I tend to agree with you though that I don't think it is. However it doesn't matter. It doesn't make you any less of a human than the straight guy next door. At your age now it may be tough being gay. I understand that. And I'm sure it has its moments at any age. But hopefully you find as you get older most people don't judge you on your sexuality but rather on who you are as a person. Sure there will still be the bigots and sexists but who cares about them.

Just like they profess. You have a choice. You have a choice to ignore their intolerant views. You can ignore the people who judge you before knowing you. You have a choice to surround yourself with the people who really know you and love you for who you are.
    xx pretty girl xx Posts: 39, Reputation: -1

Aug 17, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gayboy
    Ok i already know the answer to this one becuase i am gay. I just want to see what others think. There is no way that being gay is a choice. I would have never chosen this for myself. I would have wanted to fit in and be like everyone else. That is what all kids want. I am 18 now and have known i was gay since a very early age (like 10). There is no way this is a choice because at this age i knew nothing about sex.....i just knew that i was attracted to boys.
    I don't believe being gay is a choice.
    I know people don't wake up one day and decide to be gay
    Its just a feeling of attraction people start to get and you can't really do much about it
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 17, 2007, 10:54 AM
    1 last thing. If churches don't allow homosexual's because they are gay which makes them sinners, why do churches allow overweight people? Or criminals?

I don't think 1 sin is any bigger than another, so shouldn't they all carry the same weight?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 17, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Gay or Staight = neither is a choice.

The only choice you may have is to embrace what you have or live in denial.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 17, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE
    1 last thing. If churches dont allow homosexual's because they are gay which makes them sinners, why do churches allow overweight people? or criminals?

I dont think 1 sin is any bigger than another, so shouldnt they all carry the same weight?
    I have to spread some rep first... but I love your answer! Well said :)
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 02:01 PM
    I did my college research paper on this subject. I have many gay and lesbian friends and have been around for the heckling, rude comments, and discrimination. I, myself, am straight so I took on this subject for research because I went to a "catholic" college so I thought I would raise some eyebrows and actually educate some people :)

Homosexuals constantly get asked how they knew they were gay... do heterosexuals ever get asked how they knew they were straight? No, it's simply who you are attracted to.

Studies on twins, brain anatomy, and DNA have uncovered remarkable results supporting the genetic cause of homosexuality. Studies on the genetic theory started in the 1800's. In 1952 German geneticist Franz Kallman studied gay twins, followed by support in 1991 by psychologist Michael Bailey and psychiarist Richard Pilliard who studied twins as well. The results showed the gentic link commonality between gay twins and siblings.

IN 1991 neuroscientist Simon LeVay studied brain cadavers. The hypothalamus which governs sexual behavior showed marking similarities in women and gay men, while heterosexual mens hypothalamus was 3 times bigger. The acutal makeup of the hypothalamus supported the results. Oregan Health Sciences University replicated the study and found the same results.

In 1993 Dean Hamer, a geneticist at the National Cancer Institution linked instances of homosexuality to a small stretch of DNA on the X chromosome. His results implied that the trait travel down the maternal side. Hamer scored the linkage with a technical measure that translates to a 99.5% certainty that there is a gene or genes on that particular stretch of the X chromosome that determines homosexuality... there are still more that 100 unidentified genes on that section that are still unidentified so there may be more that one causing gene.

In 2005 scientists from Brandeis University, Oregan State University, and Stanford University found ONE gene in fruit flies that conclusively reversed sexual orientation. Now I know you are thinking "fruit flies??" but scientists favor them for study of many dieseases and behaviors because they reproduce rapidly and complete an entire life cycle in a matter of weeks... and “Although humans and fruit flies are separated by 600 million years of evolution, the two species are remarkably alike at the cellular and genetic level” (www.brandeis.edu).

Too much evidence has proved that homosexuality is not a choice. Although it hasn't been narrowed down to a specific gene or genes in humans it eventually will... but there will STILL be those people who call them sinners and say it's a choice they made... but I just laugh at their ignorance.
    gayboy Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Aug 22, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Thank all of you for your comments. Lets keep this topic going and hopefully we can help to better inform some of the people out there.
    xCrookedWingsx Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Aug 22, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Being gay is def not a choice. I had a friend who was gay and all he ever wished for was that he wasn't , he just wanted to fit in and belong.
    Any one who thinks it is a choice isn't that bright
    bemani Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Aug 22, 2007, 04:02 PM
    It is not attraction but it's addiction. You did not choose to be gay. One mistake, getting used to it and addiction. Similar to drugs. I just think that sex is so addictive, doesn't matter which kind of it(even masturbation).
    I am sorry friend, but being a gay is abnormal. But it really doesn't matter at all because the end is death to anyone.
    Try not to fool yourself that is the most unforgivable cruelty.

Aug 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
    I don't really agree with you bemani. There is only one reason for this. I can not be an addiction because I have never fancied girls, and another reason it couldn't be an addiction from the sexual point of veiw is because I am still a virgin.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bemani
    it is not attraction but it's addiction. you did not choose to be gay. one mistake, getting used to it and addiction. similar to drugs. I just think that sex is so addictive, doesnt matter which kind of it(even masturbation).
    I am sorry friend, but being a gay is abnormal. but it really doesnt matter at all because the end is death to anyone.
    try not to fool yourself that is the most unforgivable cruelty.

An addiction? Yes, I'm sure that gay people are addicted to being discriminated against, I'm sure they just can't get enough of the "gay bashings" and rude comments, I'm sure they thrive on getting told they are sinning and going to hell... hope you can sense my sarcasm...

Aug 23, 2007, 03:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    An addiction? Yes, I'm sure that gay people are addicted to being discriminated against, I'm sure they just can't get enough of the "gay bashings" and rude comments, I'm sure they thrive on getting told they are sinning and going to hell.....hope you can sense my sarcasm....
    I did not want to be rude toward respected gays. But gay is not natural, it's just sooo obvious.
    Can we call it an illness(do not know psychologically or physically)? Like being blind. You can't make a blind person understand how beautiful fog can be. He may admit you but won't really feel it as you do.He can't understand. Gay can't see the beauty of the opposite sex(naturally should be able to). I don't say the blind don't have right to live but I just want him to respect the mejority. If he can't see, it is not his fault but he better admit that it is his deficiency.

Aug 23, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Being gay is completely natural. Just like some people are born blind. Gay people can see the beauty of the opposite sex, they just find that they do not want to have sex with someone of that kind of beauty.

Aug 23, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gayboy
    Being gay is completely natural. Just like some people are born blind. Gay people can see the beauty of the opposite sex, they just find that they do not want to have sex with someone of that kind of beauty.
    When you have eyes which are supposed to see, can not see, natural? Not a logical. Statement. It is disability.
    Please, it's just so simple man.
    TrixieBelle Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Aug 24, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    Fr_chuck
    So if the bible said it was wrong to be straight. Could you be happy giving up your hetrosexual lifestyle for god and settle down with a man?

That's an awesome question.
    And in response to chucks response, it was a hypothetical question, so responding with "but i it doesnt..." shows immaturity and a mind incapable of answering that question.
    Being closed minded isn't too attractive, Chucky.

Aug 28, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Thank all of you for your opinions and come on people lets keep posting!!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Being gay is a way of life. People are born that way. Everyone is different if it is color, religon, sexual orientation, nationality. It does not matter. We need to accept those that are different then us and learn from each other.
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Aug 28, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Hello Everyone,

The gay person/s are never to be treated cruely because they choose to be gay. I personally am a Christian and would never be gay. Why? Because I believe it to be wrong and a sin against the gay persons own body and their sexual partner but most important against God.

Would I hate or show anger or violent actions toward anyone gay? No. They are also God's creation, God created them and the person made himself gay. God created men and women. God also condems the actions of the gays. I though would never hurt them, treat them badly or call them names. Just my opinion, I did not tell people being gay is a sin, God did. 2 Cor. 6:9-11.

Do I love gay people? Yes. Why? Because We are to love our neighbors. Do I love the gay persons actions? NO. Why? I am to hate what God hates. If it is something that gay people are born with, ask yourselves this question.

Why would God create a person with homosexual tedencies and then condemn their actions?
    Don't make sense to me.

Take care,
    Hope12

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Did I make the right choice? [ 5 Answers ]

So yesterday at 4 my girlfriend called me. She said "i'm sorry" I said for what? She said you'll find out in a few hours... so I make her tell me what she's sorry for. And she makes me promise not to try and do anyhting about it to just let it happen. So she tells me she's in her garage with the...

My gay friends tell me my new love interest is gay [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone. Im new to this service. I am a 32 year old female, who has been dating a 26 year old guy for about 2 months. I met him about a year ago, and up until 2 months ago, really only hung out with him with our other friends. We both knew there was something there, had not had the...

H1 under first year choice [ 3 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert, My husband and I came to the US in Dec.2002 as F1 and F2. My husband got his H1B visa Oct 1.2006 and I am H4 visa holder. We had a baby last year and he is a US citizen. I still have not ITIN number. My question is: 1.Can we wait till early June to file jointly...

First year choice or not [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My status in 2006 is this: F1 to June, then OPT to 11/26/2006, then H1B My wife held B1/B2 Visa in 2006, she stayed here from 8/1/2006 to 12/31/2006, this January, she changed the Visa to H4 In 2006, my tuition was about 16000 If I file as non-resident, I can not claim my tuition...

Multiple choice [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with this question? Which of the following would be classified in a different major section of a balance sheet from the others? a. Capital stock. b. Common stock subscribed. c. Stock dividend distributable. d. Stock investment in affiliate.

View more questions Search