Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Law and Jurisdiction
    I have a discussion due on the importance of Law and Jurisdiction. This is what I have so far on law :

Without law, the world as we know it would be a disaster. People would be able to do whatever they wanted without any consequences, and daily life would develop into total chaos. For example, without the law of Equal Opportunity businesses would go under due to lack of employees based on discrimination. People that commit crimes such as murder, theft and rape would go unpunished and these crimes would continue and increase.
    I am having troube with the Jurisdiction part. I have read in my text about the different courts, and understand them, but I am stuck on the importance of Jurisdiction. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 09:34 AM
    I did have an idea that there has to be a limit to what cases can be tried and where, and that is why it is important? Any thoughts? Does that sound right?
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 15, 2007, 09:35 AM
    I have been in the criminal justice field for 10+ years dealing in courts, police, and mulitple jurisdictions just for some background.

Jurisdictions are needed and at the same time very frustrating. Jurisdiction allows whatever system in charge to better manage a smaller area. State or Federal laws are enforced without question in all jurisdiction regardless of the agency overseeing. However, ordinaces, procedure and practices can be tailored to the demgraphic or socioeconomic needs of that particular jurisdiction. Most jurisdictions I deal with are very protective of their set practices and procedures all of which are well thought out and important. The problem is when issues arise cross jurisdictional lines that many agencies have trouble compromising on best practice approaches to dealing with problems.

So in my opinion the importance of jurisdiction is to 1) increase managability of a smaller area 2) create specific policy, procedure, or practices based on demographic and/or socioecomonic needs of the area 3) keep court dockets and available jail space manageable

Let me know if that works for you...

Aug 15, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    I did have an idea that there has to be a limit to what cases can be tried and where, and that is why it is important? Any thoughts? Does that sound right?

You are right the court system is constantly overwhelmed and any parameters that can be set to reduce cases is beneficial.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 09:39 AM
    You are a life saver! I can of course put it into my own words, I just needed an idea. Thank you so much!!

Aug 15, 2007, 09:43 AM
    You're welcome

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does US or Canada have legal jurisdiction? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We lived in Canada for 6 years and acquired a Visa credit card through CIBC. We have been paying it down since we moved back to the US in 2003; the balance at that time was approx. $10,500 and is now down to roughly $6,200. In the last year and a half, however, we have had increasing...

Personal Jurisdiction after moving [ 4 Answers ]

I moved from MD to MO. I had a house lease in MD that is the subject of the lawsuit by the owner against me. I have moved 9 months ago to MO and am now being served, Does MD still have personal jurisdiction over me, although I never go there or do business anymore.

Change court jurisdiction [ 1 Answers ]

OK guys you were all really helpful on my last topic so I'm back. How do I go about changing my court jurisdiction from Arizona to California. It is a custody child visitation case and the child resides with me in California for the past two years. Our case is not active right now but I'm going to...

Summons, limited civil jurisdiction [ 7 Answers ]

I was served a summons from an MRC Receivables Corp which bought my debt from a long ago credit card. I haven't used it since 1998, but they somehow found me. My question is: Should I call the law firm who is representing this MRC and try to make a payment deal with them? They're suing me for...

View more questions Search