Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdfinger0513 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Being evicted because owners son wants to live here
    Hi, I am new at this but would like some advice. My Family and I have lived in this home for approx. 9 years. We did not sign a lease or contract. It was verbal on a month to month basis. The problem is the original owner (Landlord) died over a year ago. He left this place to one of his kids. They let his common law wife receive the payments until a few months ago. We started paying them and have been behind. We pay them something all throughout the month. Well today we were told that we had until the end of the month (which is 17 days) to get out. The Mom said that she wants her son to live here, and he said that he just don't want to rent it out anymore. Can they do this? Do we have any rights? We have never met faced to face and they chose to evict us over the phone, is this all legal? I need some expert advice... FAST!! Thanks for any and all imput.:confused:
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 05:43 AM
    They do have the right to terminate your tenancy, but they must give you 30 days advance written notice. If you haven't left within that 30 days then they must file a lawsuit for eviction.

I'm sorry but you're going to have to find a new place to live asap.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 06:06 AM
    If they are evicting you for being behind on your rent, they can do it under 30 days. If they are merely giving you a notice to move out, they have to give you a 30 day notice. But yes they can evict you anytime they want for no reason at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2007, 06:20 AM
    That's what month to month means. That either party can terminate the tenancy with just a month's notice. Check the laws for your state (there are links in the not at the top of this forum), some states require notice of one full rental period, meaning if your rent is due monthly on the first, then can't kick you out until 10/1. At the earliest you can be required to leave would be 9/15.

Even if they are evicting you for non-payment of rent, they have to give you formal written notice and if you bring your rent up to date, they have to start all over.

So I would go back to them and tell them (after checking the law), that you understand they want the house back and you will immediately start looking for a new place. However, you legally have until x date before you have to move since they have to give you formal written notice of x. Tell then you will do your best to be out by that time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son wants to live with his dad? [ 16 Answers ]

my son is 14 yrs. Old he has a good life with me and his sister and stepdad. He is an honor student in school and on the high school football team. The problem is we live in Ohio his dad lives in Missouri, we moved here five yrs' ago, we own our home and both have been on or jobs for yrs. He visits...

Son being evicted [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I graduated from College for my AA I was supposed to leave to the Marines But Had to Delay That option due to A back injury. My question is my mother wants to kick me out of the house I do not do drugs nor bring women home or threatnen my parents. I do not pay rent, but do I have the right to...

My son wants to live me me [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 10 years old, since he was 7 weeks old he has stayed at mine every weekend without fail.when he started junior school I picked him up on Friday from school then he spends all weekend at mine then I take him back to school on Monday. I can tell his not happy at home because he never wants...

Son evicted? And not able to get his belongings. [ 6 Answers ]

To start we live in pa, anyway... My fiancée (20yrs) was kicked out. Some of the bills are or were in his name and this parents are moving and were planning to let him take on their rent to own agreement. They did not give him notice. Well when he want back for his things, his parents won't...

My son wants to live with me [ 4 Answers ]

I am still married and I'm not legally separated my 12 almost 13 year old son wants to come live with me horribly bad he cries and says he is going to kill himself or run away and my wife doesn't care she won't even let him come visit me it is killing him what is the fastest way that I can get my...

View more questions Search