Can dogs eat these type of bones?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Absolutely not, they will splinter
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 01:17 PM
    No louisa. Please avoid giving your dog any bones. Not only can they splinter, choking can occur. They also can get wedged into their esophagus, or stomach. Surgery is required to remove them. They can pass through the stomach and perforate the bowels. Dogs have died from eating bones.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Depends on how well you like your dog I guess. This is not recommended. Some people say it makes their dogs healthier. Um, go to the VET if you want your dog healthy.!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Although dogs enjoy bones, they do fine without them. Some people insist that this kind of bone or that kind of bone is safe for dogs, and good for them. My Lab Aster is almost 14. She has never had a real bone in her life, and her teeth are in great shape, far better than dogs half her age that are given bones. For the reasons other mentioned, cooked sparerib bones are likely more dangerous than some other bones, but none of them are a good idea.
    smelly2u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Well please explain why wolves eat bones and survive
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 01:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly2u View Post
    well explain why wolves eat bones and survive
    Raw bones can be fine to gnaw on but they should not be eaten.
    I think you will find wolves and dogs simply gnaw the flesh off the bones.

RAW bones should only ever be given to a dog supervised to make sure they are only gnawing and not actually eating...

Thread is 2 years old though so I am closing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spare tire removal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1992 chevy CK 1500 extended cab and I am in the need to remove the spare tire I looked at it and I am not quite sure how to remove it there is no bolt or anything just a kind of rubbery thing holding it on... help! :)

Swollen and bruised rib [ 2 Answers ]

Im 16 years old girl and I have just come back from holiday yesterday. On the holiday I was fine it wasn't until the Saturday I think I dne it, I went on a bunchy jump in the hotel, where the tie holding me on there was right under my chest, it didn't really hurt me, I just left in and enjoyed the...

My 1 year old boxer at a spare rib [ 2 Answers ]

Someone gave our 1 year old boxer a spare rib for him to chew on- our boxer immediately swallowed the spare rib. The spare rib was about 4 inches long, 1/2 inch wide. It has been 2 hours, the dog seems happy and content. What should we do?

My 6 month old golden retriever ate a spare rib bone [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - we gave our puppy a spare rib bone and she swallowed it whole. She seems fine, but what should we do to ensure that she isn't in any danger? Should we call the vet, watch her stool? Is this something the dog can just pass? We obviously are very worried. Thanks.

View more questions Search