Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 14, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Space Shuttle Tile Damage
    Once again we are faced with tile damage that could put this mission in jeopardy. We know that the tiles are fragile, and easily damaged. Why not install a thin carbon fiber (or some other suitable material) sheet over the bottom of the shuttle, to protect the tiles from harm during lift-off? During re-entry, this protective barrier would burn away, with no harm or foul. You have seen sheets of white foam insulation, which are easily damaged. When they put the thin sheet of blue plastic over it, it can absorb all kinds of abuse. When I mentioned this solution to a friend, he said that surely, the hordes of aerospace engineers must have considered this solution, and discarded it for one reason or another. I wonder. Any ideas why this would not work?

I just noticed that I put Soace, instead of Space in the title, and was unable to change it-sorry.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
    ;) changed it for you
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Im no aerospace engineer but one thing could be if a tile fell off the was held in place by a sheet of carbon fibre (or any material) during flight it would just rattle around and possibly knock other tiles loose.

Probably best to let 1 tile fall then have it knock out others with it.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Perhaps address the issue of the loose foam and/or falling ice? There must be a way to reduce risks from that angle.

Then again, it may be just more economical to deal with a tile or two, rather than re-engineer a whole new shuttle.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 06:10 PM
    I have always thought the Tiles or Heat shield was like a spare tire, you may need it to get you home. Not really a Spare.
    Although Ant's mating in space IS very interesting. From day one I would look for some type of shield repair. The last disastrous flight, I thought a fly by the Space Station, For better view, would be good, drop off unnecessary crew for a "Seat of the Pants" ride back.
    It didn't happen. Hope all goes well on this. Like to believe Space Station prepared for unexpected stays, and just? Have to wait for next Shuttle. God Speed
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 06:28 PM
    That's why they're the rocket science guys and we just watch. I've watched the NASA feed and they've considered thing I'd never have though of...

NASA - Space Shuttle

They have my blessings, and God speed.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 07:15 PM
    I was talking, Engineers Vs PR, Politics, Money, Common Sense. I am for the Engineers,
    They don't always win.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    I am for the Engineers,
    They don't always win.
    Agreed. Shudder the thought!
    PR stooges and politicians couldn't cross the street without engineers.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Aye Captain!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 07:23 PM
    There is also great technology that they do have in their hands that are able to safely fix and repair these tiles properly that can with stand lots of damage and experiments with different combinations of materials to create a stronger tile have been done in space. So the solutions are there, question is why is nasa not taking that step to actually fix it, and fix it properly?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 07:29 PM
    I'd guess it's a financial decision. Like I've pointed out, engineers have solutions, they just don't hold the purse strings. Too bad.
    Don't forget the shuttle program has nearly reached it's life expectancy. Kind of hard to justify putting new tires on something you're going to park soon. Granted we've been wasteful... take a look at Suisin Bay, for example. But that's another thread.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 16, 2007, 08:57 PM
    The link to NASA that Captain Provided had great information on the improved thermal blankets and tiles that have been put in use since the Columbia. I am certain that the scientists and engineers are all dedicated to making the vehicle as safe as possible. From what I have seen, the improvements have been in the area of thermal protection, which seems adeqate, barring damage. They have probably taken steps to reduce the shedding of foam and ice. I have not found anything related to the protection of these thermal systems from kinetic damage in the first 3 minutes of flight. Perhaps even a covering sheet of the same material that Fed Ex envelopes are made from would weigh too much. Have you ever tried to rip one of those? Doesn't anyone know a NASA engineer?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 02:26 AM
    Nasa has announced that they are not going to attempt to fix any of the damage. Maybe after it comes back? Hmmmm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend left because she needed space. Giving her space, but how do I get her back [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 1 1/2 years broke up with me. She said that she needed space. The reasoning behind this is that she says she just felt unhappy for a while, because of some of my actions. I love her dearly, and I have been giving her the space she has requested. She says that she loves me, but...

Termite damage in crawl space [ 2 Answers ]

I need to replace flooring in bathroom because of termite damage. My question is that my floor joist are wood I beams can I sister them with other lumber or how do I repair damaged areas? The entire joist is not damaged I am hoping I that only the flooring is only damaged.

Preventing water damage with peel and stick tile in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We are working on our bathroom and are planning on putting peel and stick tile on the floor. I am concerned about water seeping in between the tiles and causing damage to the subfloor. What are some ways we can help to prevent this? Thanks, Cristina

Help me. 80's animated show/movie about two dogs that travel by space shuttle [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I remember this cartoon from when I was a kid about these two dogs that traveled by space shuttle at night. I remember the opening for it a little and it was of a log cabin in the middle of the woods and this space shuttle that would hover over the cabin to pick up the dogs. The dogs...

View more questions Search