Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajeevashistha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Chasing Landlord for security deposit
    I rented an apartment in Minneapolis for 1.5 month from the home owner. I was aware of my short stay there hence I signed a short term monthly lease with a notice period of 15 days. At the time of vacating the apartment I fulfilled all lease terms, gave them written notice through email, cleaned and left apartment as it was earlier (though I do not have any mail from them after their physical verification). Owner was satisfied and promised to refund my security deposit and the extra rent I paid as soon as I clear my dues for electricity, gas and other services. I have currently moved out of Minnesota and have been chasing them since last 5+ months for my money. During initial 3 months they gave me several excuses for the refund but during last few weeks they are not even responding to my phone calls. I really feel frustrated :mad: as I am relatively new in USA and do not see a way to get my money back. I have heard about the small claims court but do not have much detail on the process and if I will need to visit Minneapolis for filing or attend the hearing etc.
    Any suggestions or options in this regard will be appreciated.

Regards,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2007, 10:08 AM
    You would have to file in Minn, At the top of this forum is a note with links to Landlord/Tenant laws, Many states have penalities if the deposit is not returned according to statute.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2007, 06:38 AM
    First may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Since my advice was factually accurate there should be no reason for a negative comment. I admit I may not have been as detailed as you would have liked, but you can get the details but doing the research yourself. We generally provide direction, not always specific answers.

You don't have any other options. If he hasn't followed the law then your remedy is to sue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pa landlord tenant law - security deposit in escrow [ 6 Answers ]

My landlord didn't deposit my money in an escrow account? Does this waive him of charging me for damages? Can he get in trouble? He is claiming he is not returning my security deposit because I made lots of holes in the walls and had to repaint the house. I did make these holes, but why should I...

Return of Security Deposit from Landlord in Foreclosure [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We find ourselves in an unusual predicament regarding the lack of return of our security deposit and are in need of some advice/recommendations... We signed a one year lease on a new construction home and gave the required security deposit. We leased through a property management/real...

Landlord not paying back security deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All. I have been renting a commercial building in Toronto, Ontario. Earlier in the year, my landlord sold the place with my lease to this new landlord. And last month, we have moved out since it's the end of term for our lease. I've paid all my rent and fulfill all my obligations. But this new...

Landlord kept a big chunk of security deposit. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I rented an apartment for 1 year. Recently when the owner returned the security deposit he made deductions for the following items: - Cleaning toilets and kitchen. - Getting pest control done even when there were cockroaches before we moved into the house. - Doing steam vaccuming in the...

View more questions Search