Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kays Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 08:14 AM
    NYC resident for tax purpose or not?
    Hi,

I entered the U.S. in July 2005 and just graduated with my MBA in May 2007.
    I am now here on F-1 Visa status. I am working with a company in NYC. I also live in NYC. Would I be considered as a NYC resident for tax purposes? Am I getting NYC taxed on salary and bonus?

Thank you so much for your help.
    Best,
    Kays
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 14, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Yes, but you more than likely have to file "dual status" tax returns in the U.S. and in your home country. Please check with your company to see if they offer assistance with tax preparation for persons with visas, and if not (most do not), you will need the assistance of an accountant knowledgeable in preparing taxes for foreign nationals residing in the U.S. It's fairly easy to find them in NYC. This type of filing is complex, and you may be entitled to several deductions and/or exemptions that you will miss if you try to do your own taxes.

Also, there may be a tax treaty with your home country and the U.S. that may reduce the amount of taxes owed in either the U.S. or your home country, including possible deductions for city and state taxes paid.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Kays:

Federal return issue: Since you are under a F-1 visa, you need to file as a non-resident alien, using Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ for 2005, 2006 and (in January 2008) 2007.

For NYC, you need to file as a NON-resident of NYC. Your status as BOTH a student and as a non-resident alien clearly defines your status as a non-resident. You WILL get taxed on your salary by both the IRS and NY state, but NOT by NYC. You need to file Form IT-203.

If you need professional help, contact me at the email address below. I have a number of clients who live in NYC who can provide references.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is resident(tax purpose) eligible to $5000 exemption (US-China)? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi There, I had hold a F-1 visa since 2001 and changed to H1B last September. I'm planing to file my tax return as a resident since I'm qualified (right?). Some people say that I won't be eligible to the $5000 exemption then. Some say that I am still eligible. I'm confused. Could you please help...

NJ resident, working in NYC, tax filing needed for NY? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I am a NJ resident. I worked in NYC for the first four months of 2006, and have received a W-2 from that employer. Do I need to file any kind of NYC state or local tax form in addition to my federal and NJ forms? Thank you! Tony Donato

Question on state tax - NJ resident NYC job [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I started working in NYC from JULY 2005.Before that I was in India and I am o n H1b.I reside in NJ.I rented a house in NJ on 15th August and stayed till 31st Dec,2005. My husband came to US in July 2005 end on F1 and resides in New York state. We are trying to fill up the return...

NJ Resident - NYC job - Tax calc [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently split on 2 opportunities that I have in hand and need to make a decision. One is a job in NYC and the other a job in NJ. I am considering all aspects of the jobs, but need to make APPLES to APPLES comparison in Dollar terms. I need to calculate the tax I would pay...

NJ resident work in NYC - need help for filing estimate tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident of New Jersey and work in New York City. I have some realized capital gain from stock trading. Where should I file state estimate tax? To NYC or NJ ? I also have some income from NJ in the first 3 months in 2005. Can I file my estimate tax to NJ to avoid higher rate in NY...

View more questions Search