Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kat555lady Posts: 88, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 01:59 AM
    Uninstalling preinstalled Norton antivirus
    Norton antivirus came preistalled on my computer to use free for 60 days. I am wanting to use a different anti virus progam. The following are what is in my add/remove section. Norton internet security, live update notices, symantec tech support web controls and live update. Can someone tell me if all of these need to be uninstalled if I no longer wish to use the Norton Antivirus program and in what order they should be uninstalled? I'm using an Hp computer and running windows vista.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 14, 2007, 02:04 AM
    To uninstall Norton you need to download an uninstall tool directly from Symnatec, from here;
    Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

If you're not using the Antivirus it's pretty pointless keeping the rest as they just support the AV software.

Let us know if you hit any snags along the way!

J
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 14, 2007, 02:09 AM
    Sorry, apparently you can uninstall some Norton stuff from the Add / Remove programs too, although I couldn't do it last time I tried;

Uninstalling your Norton or Symantec product
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 14, 2007, 02:21 AM
    Use the inbuilt UNinstaller BEFORE you try anything else.

Security suite CAN cause problems if uninstalled incorrectly.
    douchrti Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Aug 18, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kat555lady
    Norton antivirus came preistalled on my computer to use free for 60 days. I am wanting to use a different anti virus progam. The following are what is in my add/remove section. Norton internet security, live update notices, symantec tech support web controls and live update. Can someone tell me if all of these need to be uninstalled if I no longer wish to use the Norton Antivirus program and in what order they should be uninstalled? I'm using an Hp computer and running windows vista.
    Hi,
    Have you tried their removal too?

Or this?
    PC Hell: How to Uninstall Norton
    Hope this helps, take care.
    snowflake22 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Aug 29, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Why did you want to uninstall Norton? Which version of Norton did you have preinstalled on the computer you want to take it off?

Just so people know my experience with Norton wasn't very good. The company says their virus program is a good one to use, but it really isn't. When I used to use Norton it would take more than 2 hours to scan the computer for viruses. One time it took 5 hours to scan the computer for viruses. Also Norton rarely found things and if it did it wouldn't delete most of the things it found. The virus program I am using now takes maybe an hour to scan and if it finds anything it usually will remove it.

I can tell you that if one has Norton and for some reason they need to reload everything back onto the computer the Norton was on and they know their subscription hasn't run out and you try to call Norton about getting back the remaining time the subscription has left they won't do it. The version of Norton I was using was no longer available when a computer needed to be reloaded again and Norton was called to try to get the subscription back and that is how I knew the version of Norton wasn't used anymore. If something is outdated than why should a company charge to continue to use something that is no longer available to use.
    kat555lady Posts: 88, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 02:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake22
    Why did you want to uninstall Norton? Which version of Norton did you have preinstalled on the computer you want to take it off of?

Just so people know my experience with Norton wasn't very good. The company says their virus program is a good one to use, but it really isn't. When I used to use Norton it would take more than 2 hours to scan the computer for viruses. One time it took 5 hours to scan the computer for viruses. Also Norton rarely found things and if it did it wouldn't delete most of the things it found. The virus program I am using now takes maybe an hour to scan and if it finds anything it usually will remove it.

I can tell you that if one has Norton and for some reason they need to reload everything back onto the computer the Norton was on and they know their subscription hasn't run out and you try to call Norton about getting back the remaining time the subscription has left they wont do it. The version of Norton I was using was no longer available when a computer needed to be reloaded again and Norton was called to try to get the subscription back and that is how I knew the version of Norton wasn't used anymore. If something is outdated than why should a company charge to continue to use something that is no longer available to use.
    Hi, sorry it took so long to reply, my modem went out on this computer after a few weeks so I couldn't get on line. You asked why I wanted to uninstall Norton. I'm not sure which version it is but its only good for 60 days and I now have 24 days left. I had onlu used it for less than a week when the auto protect stopped working so I figure if that part of it can mess up that fast than the rest of it could too. I don't know how important the auto protect feature is but I want to be protected from viruses. It doesn't take a real long time for it to scan my computer but then again I just got the computer in July so there's not a lot on it. After reading here about it not taking things off if it finds something then that's 1 more reason not to use it. Right now I still have Norton on my computer but I'm going to get another one.

May I ask you what antivirus program your using? I may decide to check out that one.

Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    Sorry, apparently you can uninstall some Norton stuff from the Add / Remove programs too, although I couldn't do it last time I tried;

Uninstalling your Norton or Symantec product
    Thank you so much for your answers and the web page about uninstalling Norton. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Use the inbuilt UNinstaller BEFORE you try anything else.

Security suite CAN cause problems if uninstalled incorrectly.
    Thank you very much Curlyben for youer answer. The site wouldn't let me rate you so ***** :)

Quote Originally Posted by douchrti
    Hi,
    Have you tried their removal too?

or this?
    PC Hell: How to Uninstall Norton
    Hope this helps, take care.
    Thanks for the web links for this too.
    veromay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
    I'm having the same problem but actually installed it on my HP computer and can't seem to uninstall it with 4 days left on the trial. If you find an answer, please let me knows. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by veromay
    I'm having the same problem but actually installed it on my HP computer and can't seem to uninstall it with 4 days left on the trial. If you find an answer, please let me knos. Thanks
    Did you read the answers and check the link to the removal tool?
    veromay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Sorry - I thought I had gone down the page, but it was just my internet connection being slow. Thank you very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Norton antivirus [ 2 Answers ]

Since I installed the upgrade on my 2006 norton internet secutiy, I have been getting these error messages about LuCallBackProxy module. Went to symantec knowledge base and nothing comes up. This is getting stupid

Unable to uninstall norton antivirus from add and remove [ 2 Answers ]

Dell XP pro virus infected PC, While installing Norton System Works PC went Blank and asked for a restart but installation didn't take place. Asking for a Fresh installation after uninstalling previous. Unable to uninstall after repeated Try i.e restart etc.

How to uninstall Norton Antivirus 2006 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everybody I need help in this issue please? And it started in my work email when I started receiving attachements zipped files including passwords and I tried to install the Norton Antivirus 2006. It crashed 3x during installation, creating Symantec errors and gives me this error that an old...

Uninstalling my Xp [ 20 Answers ]

Hello. Got a complicated problem. My windows xp crashed so I tried to install a separate xp system.. this did not work because I had the wrong product key(don't ask) So fine bought a brand new xp system. Problem is I have one operating system on my computer and half of another. I want to totally...

View more questions Search