Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eckology Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 12:42 AM
    14 Week PuppyAte Chicken Bones
    About 1 hour and 30 minutes ago my baby whippet/pitbull mix got into about 8/cooked dominos chicken wing bones. She is now very sluggish and looks as if she's not feeling well at all, lying around. She was drinking and left the room when I went downstairs to see if I had cotton balls. I called the vet and was told my biggest worry is probably intestinal blockages.
    What's my next move?

Trust me, I know I'm a ing .

She has vets appointment/checkup Wednesday at 2:30pm.

Help... :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2007, 03:16 AM
    Cotton balls? Did the vet suggest feeding her some bread? The pasty, white stuff will pack around any sharp fragments protecting her insides from sharp fragments. Keep an eye on her and be ready to get back with the vet. Follow any instructions the vet gave. Vomiting or diarrhea means she has a problem, or bloody stools, dark tarry ones.

Many dogs come through eating chicken bones OK. Don't beat up on yourself too much. Puppies are very quick and resourceful at times. Let us know how she is.

Welcome to the site. You might look at the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 08:52 AM
    labman, as an FYI, Docwill told me that cotton balls are now the preferred vet method over white bread. White bread breaks down in the stomach and will allow the object to pass into the intestinal tract. If there is any chance of perforation, the cotton balls will not break down and keep the item in the stomach, making it easier for the vet to remove surgically.

Eck, I am sorry I am late coming into this. What is happening with your pup? Please update us as to her status.

Aug 14, 2007, 09:26 AM
    OK, So late last night ater I had posted, my pup seemed to be feeling a little better. I awoke today to her seeming to be a little better. I made my way across the street to the pharmacy to grab cotton balls, and when I returned, she had urinated and gone #2 in her appropriate spot. When I came back around she was happy to see me, jumping up and down and looking for play. She seemed much more like herself. She is now eating somecotton balls mixed in with her food.

Her excretion wasn't too much one way or the other, no blood or tarry look to it, but no bones either.

Again, she has a re-check tomorrow at 2:30 PM. Thanks for your responses to thus point..

Aug 14, 2007, 09:30 AM
    OK, it's been about 15 minutes since I gave her the cotton balls and she looks like crap again.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I would just take her to the vet now since both of you are uncomfortable
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Eck, I wish you had posted your update prior to giving her the cotton balls. If she was defecating and acting normally, there was no need. As labman stated, most dogs will be OK after eating chicken bones. I think it would be wise to call your vet and get your pup in to see him today instead of waiting until tomorrow.

Aug 14, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Well, she's acting completely normal now. I think she was just lazing around after she ate.
    She's chomping away at her dental bone like there's no tomorrow.

She had 4 cotton balls mixed in with her food. She's acting the same way she was before the cotton balls.
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Sorry eck, I had to step away for a moment. I don't know if 4 cotton balls will make that much difference. If she appears to be fine, is eating/drinking as usual, and is urinating/defecating normally, it should be a safe bet that she will be okay until your appt tomorrow. Just watch her closely and don't give her any more cotton balls. If she appears lethargic and any of the things I listed become problematic, call the vet. Keep us updated as to what happens tomorrow. I hope everything will just pass through her system without any problems.

Aug 14, 2007, 01:03 PM
    She's sleeping now, but everything seems to be OK. She ate just fine and is having no toruble urinating. No other problems to speak of. I think I may hold off on the vet until tomorrow, as she has been acting normal.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
    My biggest concern would be the splintering of chicken bones. The splinters could puncture the intestional walls, or stomach, causing death.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Yeah, maybe I have heard cotton balls work better. Real experts are always looking for new and better ideas.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2007, 07:03 PM
    One additional though. I am not sure a 14 week would be able to shatter chicken bones. That may be why the vet mentioned blockages.

Aug 14, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Well she's urinated about 6 times today, and shat 4 times. The first 2 were regular poops. The last two were softer, smeller , lighter colored ones. Still no bones I see in the poop. No Blood or tarness. She's eating fine as well as drinking.

I'm bringing her to the vet for her checkup tomorrow in the afternoon. I'll definitely let you in on how it goes. Again, thanks everyone for all your help

Aug 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
    OK, so I went to the VET today to get most of her vaccinations and boosters taken care of.

I told the VET what happened, and she told me basically what all of you had been saying, specifically, if diarrhea and vomiting become a problem, bring her in.

I haven't seen poop in the bones yet. Should I be expecting full pieces or just small chips?

AGAIN, thanks for your help. Dutchess thanks you too!
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:38 PM
    They were cooked chicken wing bones so you may see either shards of bones, small pieces, or you may not be able to notice anything because she chewed them up and digested them. Just keep an eye on her poop and her behavior. Make sure she doesn't appear lethargic. Make sure she continues to poop regularly and it looks normal. The other indicator of a problem besides diarrhea is if she doesn't pooping at all. Check her gums and make sure they aren't white. That is a good indicator of internal bleeding. I would imagine the vet checked that. I think if everything appears normal over the next few days, there shouldn't be any worries. She is young and things pass through a pups system relatively quickly. Usually by day three you are in the safe zone. So far, that dog is very lucky. Between the chicken bones and the cotton balls I was getting a bit worried there might be a blockage if there wasn't any perforations.

Aug 15, 2007, 09:34 PM
    I've seen some cotton balls in the poop shortly after I posted.

Gums are pink and normal looking. Thanks Ruby, I really do appreciate your help. I'll post a picture of my Dutchess soon, so you can see the pup you helped firsthand.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 04:30 AM
    I would love to see a pic eck! Good news that the cotton balls have worked through the poop. That is a very good sign. It means no blockage and no perforation. I think you are past the critical stage. It sounds like she is fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can cats eat chicken bones? [ 8 Answers ]

Is it all right for a cat (adult) to eat fried chicken scraps from the table? This includes the bones. I didn't think they could. I know dogs can't. If "no", then why are cats different than dogs on this topic? Thanks Susan:confused: :confused:

Puppies and bones [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of real bones are safe to give to a puppy. Was always told to never give dogs chicken bones because they can choke on them. So, we gave our 13 week old puppy a spare rib bone and we think he ate the entire thing in about a half hour. Is this even possible, and how dangerous is it? We...

Rawhide bones [ 2 Answers ]

I heard rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true? If so, how come? Thanks everyone

Shih tzu ate chicken bones hheeelllllllllllpppppppppp [ 2 Answers ]

Ok my little shih tzu of nearly 10 months likes to dig through the bin. Anyway two nights ago he pulled out the bag full of cooked chicken wing bones and ate them. I didn't know until he was sick. This morning when I woke up in the kitchen there was sick everywhere and it was all just chopped up...

View more questions Search