Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 13, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Foreclosure - Forced Homeowner's Insurance
    I recently tried to provide advice to a lady whose home will be sold at Trustee Sale on August 24, 2007. She is down about 8 months, and the lender placed their own insurance on the property to protect their interest. She has no escrow account and allowed her policy to lapse about 4 months ago. Her premium was under $700/year. A mutual friend is trying to bail her out thrugh a cash purchase. In reviewing the papers from the lenders foreclosure agent I saw what looked like serious overcharges. The title company handling the proposed purchase found that the "forced" insurance premium worked out to about $6,900/year. While it is expected that lender provided insurance will be more expensive, this $6,900 figure is pure rape. My escrow officer confirmed that premiums in this range are common.

As we all know, the Mortgage Industry is going through a melt down, with the potential of bringing down the entire economy. This situation is the fault of the Mortgage Industry, which allowed anyone with a pulse to get a loan, and the raft of Disneyland loans that were foisted on unsophisticated borrowers. More borrowers will default, and many will lose their homes. Such rapaceous charges for forced insurance will just make the situation worse, and will prevent many borrowers from reinstating their loans, who otherwise might have.

If there are any of you who work in the foreclosure department of a Mortgage Servicer, or for an attorney who handles foreclosure, or some other job where you would have first hand knowledge of such overcharges, please post a reply. I am trying to find out if this is standard practice just in AZ or nationwide. I am ready to jump on my white steed and joust at windmills.
    nena2256 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    I recently tried to provide advice to a lady whose home will be sold at Trustee Sale on August 24, 2007. She is down about 8 months, and the lender placed their own insurance on the property to protect their interest. She has no escrow account and allowed her policy to lapse about 4 months ago. Her premium was under $700/year. A mutual friend is trying to bail her out thrugh a cash purchase. In reviewing the papers from the lenders foreclosure agent I saw what looked like serious overcharges. The title company handling the proposed purchase found that the "forced" insurance premium worked out to about $6,900/year. While it is expected that lender provided insurance will be more expensive, this $6,900 figure is pure rape. My escrow officer confirmed that premiums in this range are common.

As we all know, the Mortgage Industry is going through a melt down, with the potential of bringing down the entire economy. This situation is the fault of the Mortgage Industry, which allowed anyone with a pulse to get a loan, and the raft of Disneyland loans that were foisted on unsophisticated borrowers. More borrowers will default, and many will lose their homes. Such rapaceous charges for forced insurance will just make the situation worse, and will prevent many borrowers from reinstating their loans, who otherwise might have.

If there are any of you who work in the foreclosure department of a Mortgage Servicer, or for an attorney who handles foreclosure, or some other job where you would have first hand knowledge of such overcharges, please post a reply. I am trying to find out if this is standard practice just in AZ or nationwide. I am ready to jump on my white steed and joust at windmills.
    Yes I am a homebuyer counselor and forced insurance is charged at the rate is charged the borrower has already defoulted so there is nothing she can fight I have seen insurance at those reates before
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Since us taxpayers will probably have a bigger mess to clean up than the Savings & Loan problem of the late 80s, it might be time for concerned citizens to contact their respective State Insurance regulators and/or government representatives, and try to put an end to this larceny.
    nena2256 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 11:38 AM
    As it is forced insurance the borrower always has the option of obtaining their own insurance and paying outside the loan, I am not sure you can do much about that one
    As you will remember the insurance industry also experienced a great deal of changes 4 years ago approx. There are so many issues where I would love to see the people really take a stand and create change, but most people only talk about it, someone would have to try to lead a "revolution" per say so we can see any chang on anything any more
    PMEFL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D

She can get her own insurance and then cancel the forced Insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Forced to Move [ 4 Answers ]

My family and I are renting a home, we have only been in the house since the beginning of June. Put down a security deposit along with 1st months rent. Now, we find out that the house is being foreclosed. We have been told to vacate the property. We have asked the landlord for the security...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Forced into adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to ask you my friend who was a minor at the time was forced into adoption by her aunt who bribed her . Her mother was not around when she signed her parental rights over the catch the rights were sighned over on there table at their house the notary was the uncles cousin The aunt told the...

How to get over someone when your forced to be alone [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so I just found out that my girlfriend is cheating on me? How? She called on accident and I heard "YEAH" Anyway I am OK during the day when I sleep and am with people but I work nights as a security guard alone and I was just needing some advice to get through the night while being forced...

View more questions Search