Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hartrobinson Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Relocating washing machine and dryer
    I'm attempting to relocate my washing machine and dryer to my garage. Technically I will be building out a portion of the garage so it will be climate controlled. I can handle the hot and cold water lines but I'm concerned about the drain. My neighbor was a general contractor and he thinks the easiest way to rough in a new drain is to go through the exterior wall and then tie into the cleanout for the kithcen sink. The kitchen sink is on an exterior wall and the washer's new location would be on an exterior wall 5 ft fromt the cleanout on the kitchen sink. I live in a 1950's house on a slab. It appears that I have a standpipe as a drain now. Is it necessary for the drain to be vented through the roof? Also, does running the drain into the cleanout of another pipe, (basically extending the cleanout) make sense? Is that the only way to do this without busting up my foundation?
    My neighbor said we would just need to put in a planter to cover up the pipe and protect it from freezing. Any help would be appreciated. Tom, if you are answering, I read your tips and I'm glad you are getting better.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Unless you live down south that's going to need to be a very big planter to prevent freezing. The vent should go through the roof, do not connect to the litchen drain unless you can confirm that the drain is at least 2", anything less than 2" is not enough for a washer.
    Hartrobinson Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Memphis, Tn. I didn't figure I would have a problem with freezing since there won't ever be water sitting in the line. It would always be empty except when the washer was emptying. Am I missing something?

So standpipes are always vented? I figured that was the purpose of having the pipe bigger than the hose. Just clarifying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine makes grinding noise when washing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Performa washing machine - about 5 years old. It makes a grinding noise when washing. Spin cycle is still quiet. Any suggestions about what to check?

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

Sewage smell in washing machine/dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I've had an ongoing problem with sewage backing up into the sink next to the washing machine. The sink was backing up to the point of overflow. So we raised the sink about 4 feet off the floor but there was still a little brown sludge flowing into the sink. A hose from the washing machine runs off...

View more questions Search