Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Aug 13, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Probate: Power of Attorney or Alternate
    My 85 year old father-in-law is the named executor of his wife’s estate. She recently passed away. My father-in-law is in no mental shape to probate her Will. He subsequently signed a Power of Attorney to have a lawyer take his place. We just found out that there is a family member named as an Alternate in the Will if my father-in-law can’t probate the Will. My father-in-law probably hasn’t read the Will in six or seven years and has forgotten that there is an Alternate. He currently won’t look at the Will. Everything is on hold while my father–in-law recovers from his grief.

In British Columbia, Canada

Who then is the replacement executor, the holder of the Power of Attorney or the named Alternate?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2007, 09:36 AM
    I believe a subsequently signed POA would override a prior will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power of attorney [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is illiterate can I become his power of attorney for a child adoption

Power of Attorney [ 1 Answers ]

Does one have to be an lawyer/attorney to have the power of attorney? My brother has applied power of attorney for my mother who has senile dementia.

Have to get an attorney to go into probate. But we think my father owed the IRS. [ 3 Answers ]

In my previous post I stated that my father had recently passed away with no will. The only thing he owned was a two acre piece of property with a small trailor on it. We checked with the assessor and it only shows the property to be worth about $19000 and the trailor another $3000. I'm not...

During probate do I need my own attorney? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in California, my Dad lived in Montana. He died and his common law wife started probate and according to Montana law we divide everything 50/50 as I am his only child. I think she gets the first $100,000 though but anyway, I am okay with that. I think she has to prove common law too, which I...

Power of Attorney [ 2 Answers ]

If you have issued a power of attorney in the past, is there a time this expires? How do you revoke a power of attorney if you do not know if it is still in effect?

View more questions Search