Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    So that rule only applies to Senators originally from the north and not Presidents. Got it! :
    Nice try, but I don't get boxed in that easily. As you yourself said "Bush was raised in Midland and Houston, Texas, with his four siblings, Jeb, Neil, Marvin, and Dorothy. ' He doesn't have to fake his accent, he earned it and his personal home his still here, perhaps you've heard about it. As for the Rangers, who cares? I'm not much of a baseball fan.

Yes. But... "especially at northern state senators that come down here and pretend to be one of us."
    Simply put, we prefer that people just be themselves. Don't you?

BTW I'm still wondering where the hell "Bush Country" begins and ends. When he was campaigning around Texas, he was a Texan. Although he didn't choose to attend college down south. Hmm... Anyway when in Massachusetts he was one of their homegrown on his daddy's coattails. Then one brother in Colorado (S&L scandal) and another in Florida (vote controversy), Dubya's national campaigns emerged into the slogan, "Bush Country." I'm telling you this post evolved into the best political humor in awhile.
    Well, according to USA Today, this was Bush country in 2000:

And here it was in 2004:

Does that help?
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    yeah who in his right mind trades away Sammy Sosa ?
    You have a point there. :D
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Right you are...As they say, ”it’s not where you’re from; it’s who you are that matters.’
    Exactly.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 12:27 PM
    I don't know who drew these maps, but given that San Francisco never was, is not, nor likely ever be Bush country, the whole map is suspect.

On Tuesday, February 28, 2006, the City and County of San Francisco became the first large municipality to call for the impeachment of George Bush and...
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Aug 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
    I don't know who drew these maps, but given that San Francisco never was, is not, nor likely ever be Bush country, the whole map is suspect.

On Tuesday, February 28, 2006, the City and County of San Francisco became the first large municipality to call for the impeachment of George Bush and ...
    DC,

Well, the map is a county by county map of who voted for whom. I have seen this same map at CNN, MSNBC, Slate.com and USA Today... none of whom are particularly disposed to be biased toward President Bush.

You may be right that San Fransisco is not "Bush country". In fact, you most surely are. But if liberals are too lazy to come out and vote, there's a good chance that they are going to lose their county, even if they are in the majority. Apathy is one of the two major causes of losing our rights... including the right to influence government, as I have mentioned in another post. And San Fransisco liberals are clearly apathetic if they didn't come out and vote.

The map isn't suspect. It has corroboration from a lot of different sources. What is suspect is whether San Fransicans care enough to vote on election day.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Now that we've covered everything from rednecks to 'roids, can we get back to the subject of Hillary? Just as she spends a day shadowing a nurse she debuted her first TV ad:

You know, if you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, well, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, well, you're invisible too. And I never thought I would see that our soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan would be treated as though they were invisible.
    Is she running against Bush now?
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    DC,

Well, the map is a county by county map of who voted for whom. I have seen this same map at CNN, MSNBC, Slate.com and USA Today... none of whom are particularly disposed to be biased toward President Bush.

You may be right that San Fransisco is not "Bush country". In fact, you most surely are. But if liberals are too lazy to come out and vote, there's a good chance that they are going to lose their county, even if they are in the majority. Apathy is one of the two major causes of losing our rights... including the right to influence government, as I have mentioned in another post. And San Fransisco liberals are clearly apathetic if they didn't come out and vote.

The map isn't suspect. It has corroboration from a lot of different sources. What is suspect is whether San Fransicans care enough to vote on election day.

Elliot
    I see, are you suggesting that San Francisco County has an abnormally lower voter turnout than other American counties, and therefore is not reflected on the map.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 01:03 PM

Now that we've covered everything from rednecks to 'roids, can we get back to the subject of Hillary? Just as she spends a day shadowing a nurse she debuted her first TV ad:

Is she running against Bush now?
    She is the leading hawk in the Democratic field. Even the National Review and The Weekly Standard have come to applaud Clinton.

Go girl Go
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 01:59 PM
    I don’t know who drew these maps, but given that San Francisco never was, is not, nor likely ever be Bush country, the whole map is suspect.

On Tuesday, February 28, 2006, the City and County of San Francisco became the first large municipality to call for the impeachment of George Bush and ...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bay area shaded entirely in blue, indicating wins for Gore and Kerry?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 03:45 PM
    I can tell an insult when I see one, kind of like calling me 'Unejumacated'.
    Apparently you *can't* tell an insult when you see one, speechlesstx.

Really, if you're going to declare yourself to be a "Red Neck Cracker" (as you did earlier), then doesn't it stand to reason that you're also likely "Unejumacated"?

Look, if you're feeling personally insulted and disparaged by anything I've written, then you need to take a few steps back and reread this entire exchange to see where and when you went wrong.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 15, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Well, according to USA Today, this was Bush country in 2000:

Does that help?

Obviously that was not the popular count. :)

Bobby
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 15, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler

Really, if you're going to declare yourself to be a "Red Neck Cracker" (as you did earlier), then doesn't it stand to reason that you're also likely "Unejumacated"?

Look, if you're feeling personally insulted and disparaged by anything I've written, then you need to take a few steps back and reread this entire exchange to see where and when you went wrong.

Sometimes I just try to find the humor in these posts, but usually end up shaking my head. I'd give you a big AGREE except that the rating system says I have to spread reputation around elsewhere.

Bobby
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 08:37 PM
    However, right wingers are traditionally racist and sexist, while “Left coasters” are not. I refer you to my post #8
    Y'know, the irony here is that it was pointed out to me a few days before I joined this thread that some Texan Democrats snidely refer to the RNC (Republican National Convention) as the convention of Red Neck Crackers.

Yeah, go figger.:D
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 06:48 AM

Growler, there was a good amount of tongue-in-cheek in what I originally said, it was a "David Duke" comment that set me off - I mean who wants to be associated with that? Still, your "Red Neck Crackers" comments weren't welcome regardless of your weak stipulation which basically said, "We ain't all a bunch of poor, white hicks - but - we dang sure ain't votin' for anybody but a bunch of rednecks." Sorry, but that's still insulting. Texas and Texans in general are a long way from being "Red Neck Crackers." By golly, we even have schools, satellite TV and that thang called the internet.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Y'know, the irony here is that it was pointed out to me a few days before I joined this thread that some Texan Democrats snidely refer to the RNC (Republican National Convention) as the convention of Red Neck Crackers.

Yeah, go figger.:D
    What I find the most intresting here is that I never had head of a Texas Cracker; the term Cracker to my way of thinking was reserved for white people…"Cracker", sometimes "white cracker", is a usually pejorative term for a white person,

Historically the word suggested poor, white rural Americans with little formal education.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Democrats launch preemption attack on Fred Thompson [ 10 Answers ]

In what can only mean good news for soon to be candidate Fred Thompson, the Democrats are concerned enough that they have already begun a campaign of attack .The attack comes in the form of a fund raising letter . Reported in Politico Democrats tear into Fred Thompson - Mike Allen -...

Chealsea Clinton [ 1 Answers ]

Why is Chealsea Clinton so ugly? Because her real father is Janet Reno.

Division leaders [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it if the giants win the next three games and dallas looses only one of there three games and there tie. How can the giants be the division winners?

Clinton a joke? [ 13 Answers ]

This is from a discussion started here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/politics/25172.html#post114395 Since it goes off topic, I decided to move it into its own thread. Disclaimer, I'm taking one quote from Fred's answer. The rest of the answer I agree with.

View more questions Search