Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Dark, that's precisely what I've been talking about here - judging us on ignorant assumptions. It doesn't really matter what you think is a "poppy-cock story", I'm the one that has lived this life. You can post all the 1960-1961 Austin stories you want and it won't change the fact that I was born in 1960, lived 528 miles north of Austin, and therefore didn't have a clue about what was happening there. Geez, what's a guy gotta do to convince someone these days? Amarillo is not Austin, is not Vidor, is not Selma or Atlanta. My first teacher was Hispanic as were most of my classmates and friends for the first 6 years. The only real difference between us was I didn't understand the conversation when my friends and their parents spoke Spanish, and we didn't eat menudo at home.

I'm sure my parents and older siblings were more aware of events, but we were not "reclusive" and I'd appreciate it very much if you stopped insulting my family and myself as such. We were a nice, outgoing, fun-loving, fairly well traveled, lower middle class, conservative, non-racist family living in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood. I can't help it if you find that hard to believe, but it's the truth.

And by the way, I didn't say I learned about racism from the left when I was an adult, I said I didn't learn I was racist until they labeled me as such - based on their intolerant ignorance. I'm just sick and tired of being called hick, redneck, racist, homophobic, bigoted, "FundiEv" and all other manner of BS by a group of people that advocate "tolerance" and don't know the first thing about me. I would have hoped that you wouldn't join in on the insults.
    I am truly sorry and had no intention of insulting you with the suggestion that your family was recluse, as I have been. There are only a couple of definitions of the term and I won’t say with which one I attribute to myself. Somebody who lives alone and deliberately keeps away from other people, and somebody who lives a solitary life devoted to prayer and meditation.

So you see, I could not conceive of anyone considering it an insult to be called a recluse.. Anyway, I’ll drop the whole subject.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    I am truly sorry and had no intention of insulting you with the suggestion that your family was recluse, as I have been. There are only a couple of definitions of the term and I won’t say with which one I attribute to myself. Somebody who lives alone and deliberately keeps away from other people, and somebody who lives a solitary life devoted to prayer and meditation.

So you see, I could not conceive of anyone considering it an insult to be called a recluse.. Anyway, I’ll drop the whole subject.
    Fair enough. :)
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
    I guess I'm a "Red Neck Cracker."
    All right, while not a stretch, I guess I'm going to have to take your word on that.

Funny how you speak of Obama being "charismatic, eloquent and intelligent" just prior to disparaging those of us in the south.
    I guess you left out 'Unejumacated' when you described yourself as a "Red Neck Cracker", speechlesstx, 'cause an ejumacated Cracker would have read the rest of the post and deduced that I wasn't "disparaging" all of the fine folks living South of the Manson/Nixon Line, or those fortunate enough to hail from the Lonestar State.

I can tell you as a "Red Neck Cracker" from Texas that I don't have a need to vote for another "Red Neck Cracker," I intend to vote for the best candidate that has a shot at winning, which at this time appears to be Rudy.
    Well, I liked Rudy too, but then the baggage started falling off the cart.

Right now, I'm rooting for Romney, but that'll change the second Thompson actually declares.

But, it is precisely your attitude that makes us leery of "left coasters" and northeastern politicians, that smug attitude is not welcome here.
    Fair enough, 'cause I'm not about to change my attitude towards our present Mental Midget in Chief who happens to hail from your neck of the woods.

Your values are not our values in so many areas, we resent that liberal/progressive air of superiority that's so often on display and we especially hate Yankee politicians that come to the south and pull out their "sho 'nuff, y'all" accents like Hillary does

Yeah, but.. .

Y'see here, speechlesstx, you seem to suffer from the same 'disparaging' syndrome you accuse me of suffering from.

Small secret here, speechlesstx, but I'm a registered Republican up here in the Northernmost armpit of the Left Coast -- And even voted for the Mental Midget/Red Neck Cracker in Chief not once, but twice.

And upon reflection, I surely do regret both of those votes now.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    I guess you left out 'Unejumacated' when you described yourself as a "Red Neck Cracker", speechlesstx, 'cause an ejumacated Cracker would have read the rest of the post and deduced that I wasn't "disparaging" all of the fine folks living South of the Manson/Nixon Line, or those fortunate enough to hail from the Lonestar State.
    I can tell an insult when I see one, kind of like calling me 'Unejumacated'. Look, you're a Republican and good for you, but you need a little better qualifier than what you used. We homegrown Texans fight back... especially at northern state senators that come down here and pretend to be one of us and folks that use the term "Red Neck Crackers." We take "don't mess with Texas" as more than an anti-litter slogan.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 08:03 AM
    I can tell an insult when I see one, kind of like calling me 'Unejumacated'. Look, you're a Republican and good for you, but you need a little better qualifier than what you used. We homegrown Texans fight back ... especially at northern state senators that come down here and pretend to be one of us and folks that use the term "Red Neck Crackers." We take "don't mess with Texas" as more than an anti-litter slogan.
    Why do you set North and South apart, what is this, “Us and Them” mentality that you and Bush favor. Some of you folks down in Texas still trying to deal with the Civil War.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 15, 2007, 09:40 AM
    We homegrown Texans fight back ... especially at northern state senators that come down here and pretend to be one of us and folks that use the term "Red Neck Crackers." We take "don't mess with Texas" as more than an anti-litter slogan.

Huh???!!! Just some facts about the President.

"Born in NewHaven, Connecticut, Bush was the first child of George H. W. Bush and Barbara Bush. Bush was raised in Midland and Houston, Texas, with his four siblings, Jeb, Neil, Marvin, and Dorothy. Another younger sister, Robin, died in 1953 at the age of three from leukemia.[9] Bush's grandfather, Prescott Bush, was a U.S. Senator from Connecticut, and his father served as U.S. President from 1989 to 1993. He is also distantly related to President Franklin Pierce and several other presidents.

Bush is sometimes referred to informally as George Bush Jr. in order to distinguish him from his father. However, because the son's full name is not exactly the same as his father's (the younger is George Walker Bush as opposed to the elder George Herbert Walker Bush), the "Jr." is incorrect.

Bush attended Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts where he played baseball, and was the head cheerleader at the all-boys school during his senior year.[10][11] Following in his father's footsteps, Bush attended Yale University, where he received a Bachelor's degree in history in 1968.[12] As a college senior, Bush became a member of the secretive Skull and Bones society. By his own characterization, Bush was an average student.[13][14]"

Bobby
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 09:48 AM
    He also got an MBA from Harvard . I'd say acedemically that puts him above average.

You have to understand where DC is coming from . He is not particularly concerned about the details as much as the essence of the man . GW Bush would be the first to tell you he is a Texan rather than a country club Republican like his old man... and proud of it.

I now reside in the bluest of blue states but in my heart am a (dare I say it ?) redneck .
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Huh???!!! Just some facts about the President.
    Thanks Bobby, I don't recall saying anything about the president and I did intentionally say "We homegrown Texans" to make that very distinction. :D

Aug 15, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    He also got an MBA from Harvard . I'd say acedemically that puts him above average.

You have to understand where DC is coming from . He is not particularily concerned about the details as much as the essence of the man . GW Bush would be the first to tell you he is a Texan rather than a country club Republican like his old man .....and proud of it.

I now reside in the bluest of blue states but in my heart am a (dare I say it ?) redneck .

Tom, you should go into political humor. LOL! You have it backyards.

Speechlesstx said, "We homegrown Texans fight back ... especially at northern state senators that come down here and pretend to be one of us and folks." PS. Spell check "academically" next time.

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Tom, you should go into political humor. LOL! You have it backyards.

Speechlesstx said, "We homegrown Texans fight back ... especially at northern state senators that come down here and pretend to be one of us and folks." PS. Spell check "academically" next time.
    Precisely, northern state "senators" such as Obama and Hillary. I know where Bush is from and who he is, after all he was my governor for a number of years prior to becoming president. He may not have been born here but he doesn't have to act the part either. The first time Hillary had a southern drawl was when she told the folks in Selma, "I don't feel nowaaaays tired."

Aug 15, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Precisely, northern state "senators" such as Obama and Hillary. I know where Bush is from and who he is, after all he was my governor for a number of years prior to becoming president. He may not have been born here but he doesn't have to act the part either. The first time Hillary had a southern drawl was when she told the folks in Selma, "I don't feel nowaaaays tired."

Obama and Hillary are not from Texas either, although in Hillary's defence she's your cousin from Arkansas. :)

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Why do you set North and South apart, what is this, “Us and Them” mentality that you and Bush favor. Some of you folks down in Texas still trying to deal with the Civil War.
    As my old non-southerner favorite Ronald Reagan said, "There you go again." In all my nearly 47 years I've never run across anyone in any part of this great state still trying to deal with the civil war. And don't you find it a little silly to complain about our alleged "us and them" mentality while slamming us with another undeserved, divisive label?

Let me just announce this for everyone to see, I don't care where you're from, what color your skin is, what religion you adhere to (or not), your gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation or lack thereof. Did I miss anything?
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 10:39 AM
    If you want to be a redneck that's cool. It's just kind of like that 'n' word thing, we can call each other rednecks, but outsiders need to tread lightly :D
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 10:41 AM

You have to understand where DC is coming from . He is not particularily concerned about the details as much as the essence of the man . GW Bush would be the first to tell you he is a Texan rather than a country club Republican like his old man .....and proud of it.

Right you are... As they say, ”it's not where you're from; it's who you are that matters.' I have great admiration for Bush, he is a Mans' Man; that is, he lives his beliefs and that is a great deterrent in politics.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Obama and Hillary are not from Texas either
    And we thank God for that.

although in Hillary's defence she's your cousin from Arkansas. :)
    No, you can't pawn her off on us, she's an Illinois native that followed Bill to Arkansas 9 years after graduating from Wellesley and then Yale Law School and ended up a NY senator. Her 'roots' in the south are rather shallow.

Aug 15, 2007, 10:51 AM
    As my old non-southerner favorite Ronald Reagan said, "There you go again." In all my nearly 47 years I've never run across anyone in any part of this great state still trying to deal with the civil war. And don't you find it a little silly to complain about our alleged "us and them" mentality while slamming us with another undeserved, divisive label?

Let me just announce this for everyone to see, I don't care where you're from, what color your skin is, what religion you adhere to (or not), your gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation or lack thereof. Did I miss anything?

Yes. But... "especially at northern state senators that come down here and pretend to be one of us."

BTW I'm still wondering where the hell "Bush Country" begins and ends. When he was campaigning around Texas, he was a Texan. Although he didn't choose to attend college down south. Hmm... Anyway when in Massachusetts he was one of their homegrown on his daddy's coattails. Then one brother in Colorado (S&L scandal) and another in Florida (vote controversy), Dubya's national campaigns emerged into the slogan,
    "Bush Country." I'm telling you this post evolved into the best political humor in awhile.:)

Bobby

Aug 15, 2007, 10:56 AM
    And we thank God for that.

No, you can't pawn her off on us, she's an Illinois native that followed Bill to Arkansas 9 years after graduating from Wellesley and then Yale Law School and ended up a NY senator. Her 'roots' in the south are rather shallow.

Come on Steve! By comparison owning the then mismanaged worst team in Baseball the "Texas Rangers" was not that impressive.:)

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Yeah who in his right mind trades away Sammy Sosa ?

Aug 15, 2007, 11:31 AM
    yeah who in his right mind trades away Sammy Sosa ?
    Tom-

LOL! I keep meaning to ask you for your opinion on Bonds. As far as I concerned Aaron is the last legitimate HR record holder. When Bonds came into the league he was a wiry guy (his rookie baseball card declares such). Since then his hat size increased four fold and amazingly most of his stats increased dramatically while in his mid 30's. Personally, I hope Bonds and others are finally busted and erased of any records.

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I've never seen a major sports milestone broken with so little fanfare . Nobody cares . And I think that has to do with the person who broke it. Everyone knows he was juiced up .The only real question was if he was violating some baseball rule by taking roids.

I guess for him it is fortunate that he broke it before his indictment . Now all the people who hoarded the 1987 Topps Bonds rookie card can collect their nickel.

Aaron broke the record playing a lot of his years in Milwaukee in a stadium not conducive for the hr. ball. He was also a class player who never really got the credit he deserved .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Democrats launch preemption attack on Fred Thompson [ 10 Answers ]

In what can only mean good news for soon to be candidate Fred Thompson, the Democrats are concerned enough that they have already begun a campaign of attack .The attack comes in the form of a fund raising letter . Reported in Politico Democrats tear into Fred Thompson - Mike Allen -...

Chealsea Clinton [ 1 Answers ]

Why is Chealsea Clinton so ugly? Because her real father is Janet Reno.

Division leaders [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it if the giants win the next three games and dallas looses only one of there three games and there tie. How can the giants be the division winners?

Clinton a joke? [ 13 Answers ]

This is from a discussion started here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/politics/25172.html#post114395 Since it goes off topic, I decided to move it into its own thread. Disclaimer, I'm taking one quote from Fred's answer. The rest of the answer I agree with.

View more questions Search