Ask
    Lucas Ammons Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Aug 13, 2007, 03:04 AM
    Pork: Unclean food?
    Why is it Muslims don't eat pork?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 03:22 AM
    You might want to check out the following site: Islam.Ru / Library / Why Muslims don?t eat pork?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 05:08 AM
    Question: Why is the eating of pork forbidden in Islam?
    Answer: The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork-prohibited in Qur'an
    The Qur'an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places. Its prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.

Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked a name other than that of Allah. [Al-Qur'an 5:3] The above verses of the Holy Qur'an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible
    The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus and the swine, as he divideth the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you. Leviticus chapter 11 verse 7 and 8:

Pork is also prohibited in the book of Deuteronomy
    And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the could, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass. Deuteronomy chapter 14 verse 8:

A similar prohibition is repeated in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases
    The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases. A person can have various Helminthes, like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which in a layman's terminology is called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack and if it enters the eye it can cause blindness. If it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Taenia Tichurasis. A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from

Taenia tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ovas present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material
    Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth
    The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In the villages they don't have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour's excreta.

6. Pig is the most shameless animal
    The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. It feels no jealousy. And among people who consume pork, the practice of wife swapping and other forms of promiscuous behaviour is common.

(The author is the president of Islamic Research Foundation, Mumbai. Email: [email protected], Islamic Research Foundation)

Taken from the Islamic Voice website: Islamic Voice
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    6. Pig is the most shameless animal
    The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. It feels no jealousy. And among people who consume pork, the practice of wife swapping and other forms of promiscuous behaviour is common.
    That's it, I'm feeding my wife pork chops for supper.

Aug 13, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Pigs roll in mud, because they have no sweat glands. They also bark when excited, and they can crush a peach pit like hard candy.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 05:03 AM
    I'm sad to report that we have had pork chops, pork tenderloin and bacon yet my wife has not even mentioned wife swapping to me... even knowing how pretty I think her married cousin is!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Has she had any increased ability to retain fat (#4)?
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Well she has put on a couple of pounds. It must be due to the pork not that I think of it. I have discounted her inactivity and love of donuts ever since I read this thread. Cutting out pork products should bring her to Twiggy levels one would assume. I'm off to clean out the fridge - I'll miss you bacon.
    cassini Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Not only pork, also all types of meat is not good for human body- good physical and mental health only we can see in the life of vegeterians-
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cassini
    not only pork, also all types of meat is not good for human body- good physical and mental health only we can see in the life of vegeterians-
    Not really.

Aug 19, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Meat is a cholestrol creator
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:48 AM
    meat is a cholestrol creator
    Your liver produces about 1,000 mg of cholesterol a day — all the cholesterol your body needs. Another 200 to 500 mg can come from the food you eat.

HDL (high-density lipoprotein) is the “good” cholesterol because it helps remove “bad” cholesterol from arteries and prevent blockage. Triglyceride is a form of fat. It is made in your body and also comes from food. People with high triglycerides often have high total cholesterol, high LDL cholesterol and a low HDL cholesterol level.

Bran muffins and all baked goods may hold a “hidden” source of a cholesterol-raising fat. The nutrition label may list the cholesterol content as none or low, but look for hydrogenated fats and oils in the ingredients list.

Aug 19, 2007, 12:18 PM
    It is not if you excerise.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 12:27 PM
    not only pork, also all types of meat is not good for human body- good physical and mental health only we can see in the life of vegeterians-
    Hi Cassini,
    The below article explains what I think is the truth...
    -------------------------------------------------
    Are vegetarian diets healthier than meat-based diets?

Vegetarian diets vary greatly and can range from avoiding meat through to a strict vegan diet, where all foods of animal origin are excluded. Some studies show that vegetarians suffer less from heart disease, some cancers, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes, and that they live longer than meat-eaters. However, any beneficial effect is also likely to be due, in part, to a generally healthier lifestyle adopted by vegetarians including not smoking and taking more exercise(3). It is not simply a case of omitting meat from the diet. Thus, a vegetarian diet is not automatically healthier than an omni-vorous diet and non-vegetarians who are health conscious can live just as long as vegetarians. Vegetarian diets can even be unhealthy if meat and animal products, rich in essential vitamins (e.g. vit B12) and minerals (e.g. iron, zinc), are not substituted by nutritionally appropriate foods or compensated by adequate food supplements.
    http://www.eufic.org/page/it/faqid/v...t-based-diets/
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Hi Cassini,
    The below article explains what I think is the truth...
    -------------------------------------------------
    Are vegetarian diets healthier than meat-based diets?

Vegetarian diets vary greatly and can range from avoiding meat through to a strict vegan diet, where all foods of animal origin are excluded. Some studies show that vegetarians suffer less from heart disease, some cancers, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes, and that they live longer than meat-eaters. However, any beneficial effect is also likely to be due, in part, to a generally healthier lifestyle adopted by vegetarians including not smoking and taking more exercise(3). It is not simply a case of omitting meat from the diet. Thus, a vegetarian diet is not automatically healthier than an omni-vorous diet and non-vegetarians who are health conscious can live just as long as vegetarians. Vegetarian diets can even be unhealthy if meat and animal products, rich in essential vitamins (e.g. vit B12) and minerals (e.g. iron, zinc), are not substituted by nutritionally appropriate foods or compensated by adequate food supplements.
    http://www.eufic.org/page/it/faqid/v...t-based-diets/

Aug 20, 2007, 01:04 AM
    Heart diseases cancer, these are common among meat eaters- here is a report by bbc that breast cancer very common among muslim woman from india and pakistan in uk- but hindu woman are vegettarians and fibre contain so they are far away from this disease- http://www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3372531.stm

Aug 20, 2007, 01:34 AM
    Here the correct web link news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3372531.stm
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 01:49 AM
    Heart diseases cancer, these are common among meat eaters- here is a report by bbc that breast cancer very common among muslim woman from india and pakistan in uk- but hindu woman are vegettarians and fibre contain so they are far away from this disease- http://www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3372531.stm
    Hey Cassini,

Breast cancer has little to do with heart disease.
    And whether muslims or others in India, they are used to eating a diet rich in oils/ghees/butter etc hence this could be the cause of heart disease more than the meat.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Definite breast cancer risks
    This page tells you about the definite risks for breast cancer. You can find information below on

Getting older
    Previous breast cancer
    Family history
    Carrying a breast cancer gene
    Starting periods early and late menopause
    Having no children or having them late in life
    Benign breast disease
    Having dense breast tissue
    Hormone replacement therapy
    Your alcohol intake
    Your weight and height
    Breast cell changes called LCIS
    Radiation
    Treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma

Possible breast cancer risks
    Possible breast cancer risks
    This page tells you about factors which could possibly increase your risk of getting breast cancer. Researchers are investigating several factors for breast cancer risk. This doesn't mean they are necessarily a risk. But they think there is enough of a hint that they are to make it worth researching further. They are

The pill
    Diet, including fat intake
    Having uneven breasts
    Injury to the breast

There is also information on factors that have been researched, but don't seem to increase risk. They are-

Pesticides
    Smoking
    Having a pregnancy terminated
    Stress
    ----------------------------

Aug 20, 2007, 01:51 AM
    BBC NEWS | Health | Variations in Asian cancer risk
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 02:42 AM
    Simply says that more fibre is better. I believe we already knew that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pork- is it a sin to eat it? [ 52 Answers ]

Is it true it is a sin to eat pork?

Dry food or wet food for puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got an 8 week old Daschund puppy and I'm not sure if I should give him wet food or dry food? Thank You. :confused:

Pork Roast [ 2 Answers ]

I am making Pancetta Wrapped Pork tenderloin Roast, my question is the roast covered when in the oven? It just says place in oven at 400 degrees and roast 1 hour or until the therometer reads 145 degrees.

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

Pork chops [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have any good recipes for boneless center cut pork chops?

View more questions Search