Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsmith3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Root Canal
    I have a root canaled tooth, #11, that is bothering me. I have had it for over 6 years. I got it xrayed and it showed that the post had fractured the tooth above the gumline. I was not given a choice of options on this, only to extract it. I don't want to do this. I know it can be saved somehow. Can anyone offer some suggestions in this. I have read about a sealant, MTA, that bonds the tooth back together and orthodontic extrusion. Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
    renee78 Posts: 37, Reputation: 6

Aug 13, 2007, 01:21 AM
    Obviously, it is difficult to give you specific advice with the little information given, however I can tell you that if this tooth is a previous RCT, has an existing post and/or crown and has fractured substantially, then yes, the prognosis is poor. Coupled with the fact that the tooth has been bothering you, I would hazard a guess that the fracture has propagated to such an extent that the root treatment has been exposed and re infected. You could try removing the existing root filling, re treating it, filling it again, have it prepared for a post core crown... but that is thousands worth of treatment with little guarantee. The good news is that you always have options on replacment, an implant is the best option to replace a single tooth, a bridge is good to eliminate a gap and strengthen the teeth on either side at the same time (with crowns) In respect to the "orthodontic extrusion" you mention, Im not sure what that has to do with you situation, Im afraid?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal Problem [ 8 Answers ]

After five years of 3 different re-constructions on a cracked/ decayed big back tooth, the nerve started to die (v.painful) and has been removed. I now have a temp filling and am awaiting full root canal treatment in a few (6) weeks. When I had temp filling it gave me a disgusting rotting food...

Why not do a root canal before crown [ 5 Answers ]

I don't know why my dentist did 4 crowns 3 weeks ago. It has been hurting very bad and now I need two root canals on two of the teeth.

Root canal perforation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I want to ask a lot of question about the root canal perforation! Like What's the meaning of root perfoation? Causes ? Tratment? How to avoid root perforation ?

Crown/root canal [ 6 Answers ]

I had a tooth ground down for a crown which then needed a root canal after the grinding. The first part of the root canal was fine. After the second visit, when filling the canals, the pain was intense and did not go away. Dentist gave me a shot of inflammatory medicine during which he hit...

Root canal problem [ 2 Answers ]

I had my root canal last 2004 and we all know that once a tooth underwent a rootcanal.. its already dead... so now.. my problem is its bleeding and it causes me bad breath.. :eek: :p :( nweiz, I've been brushing my teeth anytime I smell my bad breath.. lol.. and yeah every time I brush my teeth my...

View more questions Search