Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beckman Electric Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 09:43 AM

Dave from Beckman Electric in Orange County CA says you have a open neutral conductor between the utility transformer and the main panel of the house causing the swimming pool to be the path of least resistance for all 120 volt electrical loads in your home. Have an electrician check the main panel and make sure there is a wire connecting the neutral conductor from the utility company to the neutral buss in your panel. If not the neutral is being completed through the grounded metal can of the service and the service is grounded to you pool causing voltage in the pool. If the electrician cannot find anything then do your multi meter check again testing the voltage as you turn on 120 volt lights and appliances in your home. If the neutral conductor is open you will notice the voltage rise as more 120 volt devices are turned on. You may have to get the utility company to check the connection of the neutral conductor at the transformer of other point of connection.
    HILTNIC123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 01:16 PM

Did you ever solve the problem because I installed our pool the same year. It is a fiberglass pol and a saltwater system and we have had the same problem from day one. It has been regrounded 3 times and power company has checked everything twice. Everyone thinks I am crazy until the pool installer finally felt what I was talking about. I really want this fixed.
    HILTNIC123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Seems lot of folks have the same problem. I suggest you read this whole thread and see the links posted.

Jennifer, if you recently had this pool installed there is no reason you should feel anything. The bonding should have been done to the latest standards.
    I hate it when people say stuff like that. My electrical current happened the week after the pool was installed. And every electrition denies there is a problem. Until finally they feel it. And there is no power, the pool has been over grounded as precaution and still. A current. You should never be so ignorant to anser to something. "There is no reason for you feeling anything.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 03:47 PM

Reading the thread will help a lot of rewriting.
    An Electrician needs to turn off each breaker till the circuit has be found, then locate where your hot is leaking/shorted to ground on that circuit.
    abbyalma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 10:54 PM
    Did anyone find what the problem was and if so how did you fix it?
    abbyalma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 10:57 PM

Did anyone find what the problem was and how did you fix it?
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2010, 06:25 AM

The soulution may not be the same for you, I would click on the first page of this post and read through all pages. Good info.
    Junebugger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 11:34 AM
    Our shock also continued after we shut off ALL breakers to inside/outside. We killed all juice to the house etc. Finally had the power co. out and they felt it right away took measures and after some research determined it was stray voltage coming from a transformer near our home. The transformer was over 30 years old and they did some quick work on it and all shocks stopped. They said stray voltage can and will travel and of course a pool of water is like a magnet for it. Good Luck!
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2010, 01:08 PM

If the Power companies Ground/Neutral has voltage on it, it WILL go to all nearby houses as the Neutral usually always remains connected. Disconnect is for the Hots only, usually.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2010, 01:29 PM

I bet the ground wire at the base of the pole holding the transformer was loose or broken.

Could be other reasons, but these wire to rod connections are right out in the open and take a beating.

June, thanks for the feedback, well stated.
    mkv4ou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 01:37 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    Thank you. I hope they can find it as we are at the beginning of a heatwave!
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2010, 05:13 PM

Mkv, I have seen a phone line pinched on a bath tub that shocked when ringinh, can you disconnect phone from inside? At "D Mark"/demarcation point)where you can unplug inside wiring.
    Try disconnecting cable also.
    mkv4ou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    Electrician disconnected phone, catv, internet, etc. there was absolutely nothing working in our house. It has to be coming from somewhere else. Still waiting for utility to come back out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor Does Nothing When Children Beg and Stare all Day at Us in Our Swimming Pool [ 11 Answers ]

Help! My neighbor doesn't tell her children that it is bad manners to stare at us when we are in our pool. She also seems to think it is okay for them to ring our door bell and ask if they can swim today. Everyday when we are in our pool they sit on our swing set, (which I told them they...

Where can I find a swimming pool for my dogs? [ 12 Answers ]

Can Someone Tell Me Where I Can Find A Swimming Pool For My Dogs? I Have A Sheltie And An Italian Greyhound. I Would Like To Put A Pool In My Backyard But The Association Will Not Allow A Large People One. I Would Like To Find A Rigid Pool Being My Boys Love To Swim, Yet There Is No Place For...

Electrical shock [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a new roof & vinyl siding put on my home. The guys doing it got shocked while on the aluminum ladder which was leaning on the gutter. Got any ideas why?

Swimming Pool [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a peanut shaped pool 20x40 (3-8ft.) with a water fall in the middle and 4 deck jets. Two in each corner. Iam thing 2 skimmers and 4 returns? Also I would need an auto water leveler and suction for cleaning system. Looking for a drawing on how to plumb. There is no heater or spa. 2...

View more questions Search