Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slowjoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Belt routing on mower deck
    I have a Troybuilt 46 inch, 22 h.p. mulcher GT, petal drive with cruise control. The long belt on the mower deck continues to break. I need a diagram of belt routing and also location of spring on tension pulley. This belt is 98", but I have been using a 96" A belt because it is wider and thought it would be more durable. Works well for an hour, hour 1/2 on normal grass, seems to do well.
    Lately have had to mow heavier and higher grass than normal, due to belt breaking, even with deck level as high as it will go and running in low gear, belt only lasts 30 min.-1 hr. I know the belt routing is not properly installed and would like to get a diagram of belt routing and also placement of tension spring. Can anyone please help me?
    Thank you,

Beltless with grass up to my a--!Slowjoe
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 06:38 PM
    slowjoe, first of all get the correct belt. Then go to mtd.com and try and lookup your model #. Does the belt tend to look "chewed up" with little strings hanging off the belt everywhere? If so, you are probably on the "outside" edge of a belt guard. And shortening the belt by 2 inches and getting a thicker belt is a mistake. It will increase the tension on the belt, and also increase the heat, which in turn causes premature failure of the belt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to put a new belt on my mower deck. It is a troy bilt super bronco. [ 4 Answers ]

I need to run a new belt on my mower deck. It is a troy bilt super bronco with a 42" deck.

I need to replace my deck belt on my troybilt 17hr. 42' deck belt diagram [ 4 Answers ]

I need to replace my deck belt on troybilt 17hr. 42' riding lawnmover. Be nice to have a diagram

Deck belt for craftsman 15.5 riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 8yr old craftsman riding mower with a 42in deck I went to get a belt and I got the right one but I can not get it to go on do I need to remove any of the pullys or are there any tricks that I need to know or should it just go right on it is about 3inches to small. And I did disengage the...

View more questions Search