Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddforke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Dominance urinating?
    I have 3 dogs, a 7 year old male Cocker Spaniel, a 4 year old female Weimaraner, and a 2 Year old male Wiemaraner, all in excellent health. The problem is with the Cocker Spaniel (Jack) and the male Wiem (Tucker). The male Cocker has been the undisputed pack leader since Tucker join our family, however Tucker seems to be trying to assert himself as the leader and it is causing problems. First they get into fights frequently but the most bothersome is the male Cocker is urinating all over the house, even my foot once! I plan to take him to the vet for a check-up but I'm afraied it runs deeper than that. Is there anything I can do to curb this behavior? I love all the dogs dearly and don't want to put give them away, is there any solution?

ddforke
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Are the males neutered? Usually neutering/spaying tempers dominant/aggressive behavior. Your male Weimaraner is maturing and your Cocker Spaniel does feel his place as the leader is being threatened and he is loudly letting you know it by peeing on you and everything else. So, please let us know if the dogs have been spayed/neutered and we will take it from there.
    ddforke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Yes, both males have been neutered and the female has been spayed.
    Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 10:03 AM
    I waited for you to respond to RubyPitbull's question before answering. Thank you for being a responsible pet owner and spay/neutering them. It is an essential first step in cases like this, but often not the end. You must give them better leadership. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

You may have to crate them when you can't watch them. Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time with more than one dog.

When you are around, use closed doors or gates to keep the dogs in the same room as you. When you catch one marking, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and take it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Complete and incomplete dominance [ 6 Answers ]

What's the difference between complete dominance and incomplete dominance?:confused:

Incomplete dominance and codominance [ 2 Answers ]

Can any one pleasssssssse help me to understand the difference between incomplete dominbance and codominance. An example would also be helpful. Thank you :)

Dog dominance aggression [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 1/2 year old fixed male golden retriever. My problem is he is become increasing dominant aggressive with my and my teen boys. (Never with my husband though). He will take things (usually a remote or phone) and run behind a bed, couch, TV etc. When I reach in to try to get the...

Urinating Kitty [ 1 Answers ]

My mothers neutered female cat is obese and urinates in the strangest of places. Kitty is anadorable cat who is on a normal diet. She is 4 years old. Recently she has begun urinating on top of the cooker and in the other cats food bowl and on plants. She also permantly has her tail erect and at...

Urinating pet [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 year old lab mix is urinating while sleeping. She does not wake up during urination. What could be the problem?

View more questions Search