Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jackone Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 10:05 AM
    How to use Group Policy to block user internet downloading?
    I have a computer for my kid, the OS is XP professional, I create only one administrator account for him(for my personal reason, I want my kid use administrator account only, not limited account, not other accounts). I allow my kid to access internet, but I don't want my kid downloading any software from internet and installing the software to his system. Can I do that by using the Group Policy and how to do it? I also want to completely prevent my kid installing any software on his own from cd-rom, usb or internet, how can I do that by setting up the group policy?

I have created the Group policy Editor console, I go through the computer configuration and user configuration, But I don't see anything that I can use to prevent internet downloading and software installing. Anyone have some suggestions, thanks a lot!
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 13, 2007, 07:37 AM
    I would not give him the administrator account to use. You should create another account and add that account into the administrators group. That would accomplish the same thing. If he messes up the administrator account you could end up having to reinstall the OS. That being said, what's the point of giving him administrator access if you don't want him installing software. The best way to control that is to give him a normal user account.

Short of that, I would look at some third party software like Net Nanny or Cyber Patrol to monitor his surfing and downloading habbits. If you don't know how to use group policies then I would not mess with them.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Group policy is overkill for what you want to accomplish. I agree with above that a separate limited user account - problem solved. Make sure to password protect the admin account. Find out what software he needs to have installed beforehand and do that from the admin account. This is what I do for my kids.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 13, 2007, 12:25 PM
    I agree with the above posts.

Also, is his computer part of a domain? If you don't have a domain, and he has a local administrator account on that computer, I'm pretty sure that anything you would do in group policy, he could just undo.

Aug 13, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Thanks your help, I just want to know is it possible to use WinXP group policy to disable software installing and software downloading from internet. I understand we can do this by using third party software or setting up a limited account. But I really want to do this to an admin account by WinXP Group Policy. I have checked all the options of Computer Configuration and User Configuration, but I don't see anything I can use. I hope some can tell me which group policy I can use and how to use it, thanks a lot.

Aug 13, 2007, 04:59 PM
    The answer is no, you cannot do this with a group policy alone.
    Something I still don't understand is why would you want to? By giving him an admin account on the machine you are giving him all access privileges to that computer and then trying to use a group policy to take that away from him. This is not the correct way to do it. There is NO way to prevent him from downloading a file from the internet. There are certain areas (like Temporary Internet Files) he will have to be able to write to or IE will not function... if he knows what he's doing he can save any file he wants to that directory. Whether he can install it is another question... again, he could probably install it to that directory but that would depend on the installation program and there's no way to be certain.

If you trust him that little then don't let him use the computer unless you're there with him. Security policies are no substitute for parental involvement. Kids will always find away around it. Again, 3rd party tools are your best bet for this.

If you're worried about him messing up the computer then grab yourself a copy of Norton Ghost and image the hard disk before you let him start surfing. If he manages to blow up the OS then just restore the image. I did this with my kids PC. (along with installing Cyber Patrol)

Aug 13, 2007, 08:18 PM
    My kids, they are learning some basic programming languge, they need to compile the source code and doing other stuff too. If I setup a limit account for them, limited account not allow user to compile file. I have to give them admin account, but I don't want them download too many games from internet and install the games. I hope we can prevent software installing by using WindowXP group policy. Please help, thanks a lot.

Aug 14, 2007, 06:47 AM
    That's usually a pretty easy thing to do and you don't need to use a policy.

First set them up as a standard user.

If they are using something like VB6 or Visual Studio, those programs are installed under c:\program files so find the directory where their program is located, if they are compiling their programs in another directory just find that directory. All you need to do is right click on the directory and select Sharing and Security. Click the Security tab and you can give either their user name or the users group full control of that directory. If you keep them setup as a standard user they will have a very difficult time installing applications.

Without 3rd party software you will not be able to stop them from downloading anything off the internet... at least not that I know of.
    Stainlessman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 06:58 AM
    One of the most important things being overlooked here is that the administrator account is for that purpose only, administering the computer. You say you "have your reason" but you clearly don't understand the purpose of that account. Surfing the internet with an administrator account means that any infection that gets in under that account has absolute full access the computer. That's just begging to get your OS destroyed. Making your kid an administrator and trying to take away his rights as an administrator is absurd. Follow the advice given here by others and make him a limited user.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 08:31 PM

Thread is 3 years old.
    pradeepkr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
    I don't know *** reply me
    rusty3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 03:08 PM
    Wierdos can't you just answer his question. He already said he doesn't want to use limited acct for his own reasons..
    Ashu Rathour Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2012, 05:27 AM
    No ans
    Ashu Rathour Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2012, 05:30 AM
    Hi friends

Go to IE tab internet option--> security -->because tom level-->here u see many tab u can block download tab...
    spken Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2012, 03:42 PM
    Just get them their own PC. Lol
    sanjay82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 05:28 AM
    I want to stop downloading,only browsing & surfing,I am using win server 2008 & I want to stop downloading any user by policy... plz give me a suggestion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot Add Domain User to Local Administrator Group [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to add a domain account to the local Administrators group on a Windows XP Pro workstation. My network is Windows 2003 / Active Directory. On a Windows XP workstation: Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Groups I open the Administrator group,...

Internet User Stats: Browser, Display, etc. [ 2 Answers ]

1. I've generally relied on w3schools.com for display and browser stastics. I see a bunch of others mentioned here. Have any of you heard good reason to believe any one or two stand out as the best? 2. I'd really like to see some statistics on monitor resolution that break out the "over...

Local group policy [ 1 Answers ]

How can I restrict local users by using group policy. I want to create a user and allow them to use .NET and SQL Server. The local user should be a member of which group?

View more questions Search