Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kktobias Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2004, 06:31 AM
    Fat32 to NTFS?
    I installed windows XP and I have Norton 2004. When I try to use the Norton Disk Doctor, it won't allow me to. I think I have a FAT32 and not NTFS. I cannot even use scandisk. If I convert fat32 to NTFS will I be able to run these programs that I am trying to run? My second question is how to convert it?
    spud Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2004, 10:37 AM
    NTFS or FAT32?
    If you have XP installed, you most likely have NTFS and not FAT32. Open "My Computer", highlight the hard drive and take a look at the details. It should will tell you which format your drive uses.
    haroon31 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2005, 03:38 AM
    Ndd not required
    You don't need 2 use NDD in xp as it takes care of the disk itself and chkdsk is a very useful tool already built in
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2005, 04:45 AM
    Norton Disk Doctor
    Hi,
    If you have just installed XP, did you go to Windows Update, and download/install the Service Pack 2 (SP2)?
    If not, do it.
    Then, you might consider that Norton Disk Doctor has many problems with XP and sometimes doesn't run. It's all over the internet's forums about NDD not running. So far, there is no easy answer.

After downloading the SP2, go to Control Panel/Add Remove Programs, and Remove the NDD.
    Re-boot, then try running your XP's Checkdisk.

If you decide you still want to trying using NDD, then install it again, and hope for the best.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ntfs vs fat32 [ 4 Answers ]

Just bought the 100GB version of this external hard drive: http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/portable It's formatted Fat32. I'm not finding differences that mean anything to me here, or at other comparison websites. Is there a benefit to my reformatting it as NTFS? Thanks!

NTFS better then FAT32? [ 1 Answers ]

Will there be some programs or hardware that I can't use if I convert my system from a FAT32 to NTFS? I currently am running windows xp professional. I had windows 98SE and then I f-disked and formated and did a full install of XP.

Why is NTFS better then FAT32? [ 2 Answers ]

Will there be some programs or hardware that I can't use if I convert my system from a FAT32 to NTFS? I currently am running windows xp professional. I had windows 98SE and then I f-disked and formated and did a full install of XP.

Converting from fat32 to NTFS? [ 2 Answers ]

I installed windows XP and I have Norton 2004. When I try to use the Norton Disk Doctor, it won't allow me to. I think I have a FAT32 and not NTFS. I cannot even use scandisk. If I convert fat32 to NTFS will I be able to run these programs that I am trying to run? My second question is how to...

NTFS better then FAT32? [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search