Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pammmmmmela Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2005, 10:10 PM
    Shower stem stuck
    Hi - I am trying to replace washer on the bottom of a stem because shower leaks. It's not hot or cold, but on/off handle in the middle. Anyway, I bought the tool to get the packing nut off, but now I can't budge the stem. Is there a trick to it? Maybe I don't have enough strength in my hands. Any tips. Also the handle is ceramic, white old fashioned type. It seems to be slipping, do I cement it back on or what? What do I use? Or do I need a whole new part, handle, stem, everything? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 17, 2005, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pammmmmmela
    Hi - I am trying to replace washer on the bottom of a stem because shower leaks. It's not hot or cold, but on/off handle in the middle. Anyway, I bought the tool to get the packing nut off, but now I can't budge the stem. Is there a trick to it? Maybe I don't have enought strength in my hands. Any tips. Also the handle is ceramic, white old fashioned type. It seems to be slipping, do I cement it back on or what? What do I use? Or do I need a whole new part, handle, stem, everything? Thanks.
    Hi Pam,

Click on;
    http://www.plumbinglessons.com/sup/alphaindex.htm
    And scroll down to shower valve diagram. (Thanks Darrel) and tell me where your problem is. Remove the larger of the two nuts, (not the bonnet packing nut) and simply back the stem and washer assembly out counterclockwise. If It's the handle that's giving you trouble they make a tool called a handle/knob puller that you can pick up at any plumbing supply house.
    Good luck, Tom
    pammmmmmela Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 09:25 PM
    Stem still stuck
    Looking at the picture, it would be the "diverter stem" that I can't get out. It turns both ways, but I can't budge it. The stem assembly is inside a larger pipe. I bought the tool that reaches in and removed the nut. But the stem would come out. I tried turning it counterclockwise and pulling at the same time, but nothing. Are you saying it should come out without removing the nut first? Thanks, Pamela
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 17, 2005, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pammmmmmela
    Looking at the picture, it would be the "diverter stem" that I can't get out. It turns both ways, but I can't budge it. The stem assembly is inside a larger pipe. I bought the tool that reaches in and removed the nut. But the stem would come out. I tried turning it counterclockwise and pulling at the same time, but nothing. Are you saying it should come out without removing the nut first? Thanks, Pamela

Hey Pam,

Once the large nut is loose you should be able to put a pair of pliers on the stem and washer assembly and turn it out counterclockwise. The bonnet packing nut and the large retaining nut do not have to be removed from the stem to do this. Cheers, Tom
    mwalkerco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Sometimes I can push the handle back on the stem and twist it out counter-clockwise, did you try that? Good luck!
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 26, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Hi mwallkerco and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com You are responding to a 7 year old dead thread. Please check the date before you post. Thanks,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower arm pipe stuck! [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to change the showerhead and discovered that the current showerhead has a ball tip not threads. I bought a new shower arm pipe with threads on both sides but can't get the old arm pipe out! Any tips or tricks for removing a pipe that is stuck? I can't seem to get a good grip with my...

Shower diverter stem removal [ 8 Answers ]

I have an unknown brand shower diverter. It's a knob that sits between the hot and cold knob. All three have a knurled end and the stem appears to be made of brass. The stem on the diverter has been "loose" for some type and squeaks when you turn it. Recently, more water now comes from the spigot...

No water after shower stem repair [ 2 Answers ]

My shower faucet and handles had some minor dripping problems, so I decided to repair the hot and cold stems (2 handle shower stall). I got a repair kit and replaced the washers and changed the seats, but when I put the stems back and turned the water back on, there is no flow to the shower head!...

Shower Diverter pipe stem [ 3 Answers ]

My copper pipe that the Diverter attaches to has deep grooves in it from where the previous installer must have turned the spout while it was tightened on thus causing a deep circular grrove with in the copper pipe itself. My problem is this... when I replaced the diverter spout the new one leaks...

Stem replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the stems in the handles of my bathtub faucet. The cold is fine but the hot water leaks where it is screwed into the pipe. Why? I used plumbers dope on the threads and all the washers and O rings are in place (was done same as the cold) why is it still leaking? Very frustrating. It...

View more questions Search