Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kktobias Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2004, 06:41 AM
    Why is NTFS better then FAT32?
    Will there be some programs or hardware that I can't use if I convert my system from a FAT32 to NTFS? I currently am running windows xp professional. I had windows 98SE and then I f-disked and formated and did a full install of XP.
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Oct 14, 2004, 10:34 PM
    I think the biggest advantage is the fact that NTFS is faster than FAT. Check out this link:
    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    You need a recent Windows OS to run NTFS. Your running XP Pro so you won't have a problem but Win 98 for example does not recognise NTFS. As far as hardware goes you should be right. Just make sure you install service pack 1 or service pack 2 if you are using a hard drive over 137GB otherwise XP will not recognise its full size.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 17, 2004, 09:49 AM
    Some of the main reasons NTFS is better is because it offers a superior architecture, support for larger files, security features such as access control and logging, enhanced reliability, and more. But to the casual user, it would hardly make the slightest bit of difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ntfs vs fat32 [ 4 Answers ]

Just bought the 100GB version of this external hard drive: http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/portable It's formatted Fat32. I'm not finding differences that mean anything to me here, or at other comparison websites. Is there a benefit to my reformatting it as NTFS? Thanks!

Fat32 to ntfs? [ 3 Answers ]

I installed windows XP and I have Norton 2004. When I try to use the Norton Disk Doctor, it won't allow me to. I think I have a FAT32 and not NTFS. I cannot even use scandisk. If I convert fat32 to NTFS will I be able to run these programs that I am trying to run? My second question is how to...

NTFS better then FAT32? [ 1 Answers ]

Will there be some programs or hardware that I can't use if I convert my system from a FAT32 to NTFS? I currently am running windows xp professional. I had windows 98SE and then I f-disked and formated and did a full install of XP.

Converting from fat32 to NTFS? [ 2 Answers ]

I installed windows XP and I have Norton 2004. When I try to use the Norton Disk Doctor, it won't allow me to. I think I have a FAT32 and not NTFS. I cannot even use scandisk. If I convert fat32 to NTFS will I be able to run these programs that I am trying to run? My second question is how to...

NTFS better then FAT32? [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search