Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhwilliams21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2005, 05:01 PM
    The Ups and Downs of Water Pressure
    I purchased a house about a year ago that had been renovated 5 years prior. The house is 71 years old and has a well/pump. I noticed a few months ago that the water in my bath tub was fluctuating with pressure, just enough that you noticed, but never a problem... until... last week when I turned the water on and it started full blast and then slowly dwendled to nothing (no water, no noises from pipes, NOTHING)... yes, nothing... the water ran for about 30 seconds and then it would stop for about 10-15 seconds... it is doing this in consistent cycles too, but always coming back with full force and you can hear the water as it is coming back threw the pipes and is about to start up again. However, as time goes on... the water is running less and less and it is not running more and more when it is turned on. Also, when the water is running in the tub and then stops, none of the other spicketts in my house are working either. This only occurs when the water is running in my tub (btw, this is both the hot and cold water). However, I have noticed that my shower (which is separate) and the sinks are beginning to lose pressure and restore it like the tub began to do a couple of months ago. I am really not sure where to begin. This is my first home and the whole "handyman" thing is new to me; so, I don't even know where to begin... Please Help! :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 17, 2005, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mhwilliams21
    I purchased a house about a year ago that had been renovated 5 years prior. The house is 71 years old and has a well/pump. I noticed a few months ago that the water in my bath tub was fluctuating with pressure, just enough that you noticed, but never a problem... until.... last week when I turned the water on and it started full blast and then slowly dwendled to nothing (no water, no noises from pipes, NOTHING)... yes, nothing...the water ran for about 30 seconds and then it would stop for about 10-15 seconds... it is doing this in consistant cycles too, but always coming back with full force and you can hear the water as it is coming back threw the pipes and is about to start up again. However, as time goes on... the water is running less and less and it is not running more and more when it is turned on. Also, when the water is running in the tub and then stops, none of the other spicketts in my house are working either. This only occurs when the water is running in my tub (btw, this is both the hot and cold water). However, I have noticed that my shower (which is separate) and the sinks are beginning to lose pressure and restore it like the tub began to do a couple of months ago. I am really not sure where to begin. This is my first home and the whole "handyman" thing is new to me; so, I don't even know where to begin... Please Help! :confused:
    Good morning Mandy,
    Nice to see you again.
    First off I need to know more about your pump system. Do you have a small bladder tank or a large galvanized pressure tank? Has the weather been dry lately? Does the pump kick on every time you draw a glass of water? Talk to your neighbors, ask them if they're having the same problem. It could be a low water table that's affecting the entire area and not just you. Get back to me and I'll answer ASAP. Tom
    mhwilliams21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 05:48 AM
    Sorry, I thought I added that it is a pump. I will check on the rest of the questions... give me some time though!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 17, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mhwilliams21
    Sorry, I thought I added that it is a pump
    You did. Now I need to know more about your system. Answer my questions and we'll start to look into your problem. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Low hot water pressure [ 7 Answers ]

I recently bought a house and the previous owner installed a water heater on his own which is a bad thing for him to do. He didn't even hook up the pressure valve. I have very little hot water pressure. Could this be related to the installation and what should I do?

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search