Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdemby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Vacating a Default Judgement on Large Sudent Loan Prommisory Note
    Hello,

First I would like to say thank you for your many post of which I have read.

My friends situation

A Judgment by default was filed against my friend in Philadelphia. She received mail of the case and did not respond, thus a default judgement was issued. The notice of service states on 7/19/06 at 9:15pm the notice was accepted by a male family relative whose age is 30, height was 5'10'', weighing 165lbs. Additionally, while the street address is correct on the affidavit of service there is no apartment number. She lives in an apartment building.

She lives alone, was 37 back in '06 and she weighs 263lbs. The notice is bogus. Is this grounds for a motion to vacate the judgement based on improper service being that she lives alone and always have?

The judgment is for a large (>$40,000) student loan promissory note. I assume the student loan falls under contracts law. The student loan went into default in or about 2000. She graduated in 5/99 and never made a payment. According to the statue of limitations for the state of PA the statute of limitations for contracts is 4 years.

Now based on the judgement in PA they are suing her in NY where she now lives where the statute of limitations is 6 years for contracts.

Can she win a motion to vacate the judgemen in Philadelphia citing improper service and expiration of the statute of limitations in PA thus removing the grounds for the judgement being sought now here in NY?

I thank you in advance of any advice offered.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 11:49 AM
    I believe you will find student loans ( if this is a government one) will not have the same SOL as regular debts.

And while they may get this judgement set aside, ( but hard to prove she did not have a vistor that day)
    pdemby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 12:54 PM
    To answer your inquiry. This student loan is a private loan unlike her other loans that have already ben consolidated via the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. My friend is originally from Virginia and has no family in New York.

My assertion is that if the judgement is vacated in Philadelphia based on the statute of limitations then the issue of receiving notice should be a miner point but I am open to a qualified opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacating a default Judgement [ 21 Answers ]

First off, I reside in NEw York State. Last week my bank card was rejected at a restaurant even though I had ample funds available. I went home and called the bank and they informed me that a Hold was placed on my account for $1800. They gave me a law firm's number and told me there was nothing...

Collecting on a Default Note, 2nd Deed [ 1 Answers ]

How do I collect on a default 2nd Deed note that was due, pay in full plus interest, September 2006? I need to manipulate this situation to get the owner to fulfill his end of the bargain. This was a Bridge Loan for 90 days, secured by a 2nd Deed and comes with additional late fees. We are...

Vacating a judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Yep, you only have 30 days.

Vacating a Judgement [ 4 Answers ]

In Feb 2004 I disputed and then closed a CC account. It looks like that credit card company filed a case against me where I used to live(Texas). I am currently out of the country, I left the States in Jue 2005. The case was filed 4 months after I left the states, (Sept 2005). Should I hire...

View more questions Search