Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asylumsuz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Cashing a bad check
    I was given a check for a sweapstakes I won. I took the check to my local cashing agency who I always deal with. I cashed the check. A few days later the check cashing agency notified me that the check had bounced. Now the agency wants me to pay back the money to them. I already spent the money paying bills I had. Now I don't have the money. Why am I responsible to pay for the check? I didn't write/issue the check? The check agency is going to file criminal charges against me. What can I do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Hello a:

How much money did you have to send BEFORE you got your check?? I don't know how, in this day and age, when you DO have a computer at your disposal that you could fall for this scam... I just don't know.

You're not guilty of a criminal act, but you are guilty of a civil one. You owe the money.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 07:00 AM
    There is really nothing you can do. You were scammed. This happens more than we would like to believe. This was just on one of those investigative reporting shows.

You see, the money wasn't there, you were scammed, yet you spent the money you did not have. Under situations like this, it was advised to deposit the check and wait up to two weeks to see if the check clears. If not, then you are not out anything, if it does, then you have money in the bank.

Plain and simple you fell victim of a scam.
    asylumsuz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 07:07 AM
    I did not have to send an money in order to receive the check. That's why I didn't think it was a scam.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asylumsuz
    I was given a check for a sweapstakes I won. I took the check to my local cashing agency who I always deal with. I cashed the check. A few days later the check cashing agency notified me that the check had bounced. Now the agency wants me to pay back the money to them. I already spent the money paying bills I had. Now I don't have the money. Why am I responsible to pay for the check? I didn't write/issue the check? The check agency is going to file criminal charges against me. What can I do?
    A sweepstakes? Did you enter this sweepstakes? Like excon I find it hard to believe you fell for this scam. But you did.

Why are you responsible? Because by endorsing the check, you guaranteed it. That's what an endorsement is!

What can you do? Pay them back. Otherwise, they can and will file criminal charges against you.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Aug 11, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Hello Asylumsuz

This sound like the oldest scam around.I can 't believe you fell for this one. You said you didn't send them money? Then explain to us what you did to "win" this so called sweepstakes? Who gave you the check? Like ScottGem said by signing that check you are responsible for it. How much money did you get?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 11:04 AM
    To answer your question, yes you have to pay back every penny and fast, if not yes they can press criminal charges against you. This happens every month to a lot of people.

Did you have to send them some money after you cashed the check?
    Most times this scam with bad checks invovle you sending them something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing out a 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I know the ramifications of cashing out a 401K early, can be costly. However, I don't know what other options I have at this point. Here is my scenario, please feel free to offer any helpful advice. I just recently quit my job, and have roughly $27,000 in my 401K (after a loan is subtracted). ...

Check Cashing [ 1 Answers ]

Can you cash a personal check against a business account or a certificate of deposit in the state of Virginia?

What's the time limit for filing charges on someone writing a bad check [ 4 Answers ]

How long do you have to make charges against some for writing a bad check. It was a family member and I wasn't trying to go to court but she refuse to pay it's been a year and she's about to move out of the state.

Bad check [ 19 Answers ]

It is now 2006, back in 200) wrote a bad check for 63.43 in MA. I just found out that there is a warrant out for my arrest. What do I need to do? I no longer live in MA and haven't for 6 years.

Cashing out 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving to Australia from the US next year and wish to cash out my 401k. What penalties would I pay. I am not retirement age.

View more questions Search