Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkolv Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 05:03 PM
    1996 Honda Civic, the coil is not firing
    The coil is not firing on my son's 1996 Honda Civic.
    Please help!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 05:07 PM
    The Ignition Control Module (ICM) may be bad, which controls when the coil fires. Here's how to remove and replace it:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

AutoZone will test ICMs and coils for free.

Proper ignition system evaluation, however, begins by answering three basic diagnostic questions:

1. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II), does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds? If not, the problem is with the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse, in the under-dash fuse/relay box; ECM (perform the K-Test); Main Relay; or the Ignition Switch. Perform tests in that order.

2. When the CEL goes out, do you hear and/or feel the Main Relay "click"? If not, repair or replace the Main Relay.

3. During the 2 second interval that the CEL is on, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run? If not, check the fuel pump.

If the CEL does not go out, most Civics will not spark and the fuel pump will not run. That's why we begin our diagnosis here.

Aug 10, 2007, 05:13 PM
    K. Well this is the son talking now. I have installed an aftermarket MSD distributor cap and external coil. Now I have had problems on and off with this car bogging down. I tested the coil and its not firing. I'll try what you posted above and hope it works.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Check all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter.

Aug 10, 2007, 06:23 PM
    All of the fuses are good
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 06:26 PM
    If all of the fuses are good and the CEL goes off, it's likely the ICM, unless there's some incompatibility issue with the MSD coil.

Aug 10, 2007, 06:26 PM
    What to do now, please? All fuses are good.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Remove and test/replace the ICM, which is inside the distributor. Make sure to coat the back of the new ICM with a thin coating of silicone grease, which they normally include with the new ICM.

Disconnect the negative. Battery cable, before working on the distributor. Also, ensure the connectors going to the ICM and coil are clean and tight.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Here's a simple test you might want to perform:

Power to Distributor Test. Turn ignition OFF. Disconnect the 2-P connector from the distributor. Turn the ignition switch ON. Measure voltage between BLK/YEL (+) terminal and body ground. There should be 12+ volts read. If not, repair open in BLK/YEL wire between the 2-P connector and ignition switch.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Here's what the ICM looks like and costs:

Zip Code Entry at PartsAmerica.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 honda civic alternator replacement [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove the alternator from my 1996 Honda Civic?

Firing Order Of 1988 Honda Civic [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am just wondering why my 1988 Civic honda was starting even the firing order as of Not the same what's in the manual. Can you give the firing order of what you know and I will compare it on what on it now. The manual says in sequence from left to right when you're facing the engine is: 4...

1996 Honda Civic LX Uses Oil [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Honda civic that runs great, but uses about a quart every 500 miles. Does anybody know if this will affect emissions when it is time to do them again? Has anybody had a problem like this? Thank you.

View more questions Search