Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shell49_1974 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2005, 02:12 PM
    Washer backing up into shower stall
    I live in a raised ranch home in which the laundry room and a full bath are located on the lower level of the house. Recently, I noticed that when the washer discharges water, it backs up into the shower stall in the bathroom. Just a bit of water and bubbles gurgles up and then it goes right back down. Whenever you just run water in the shower, it also drains regularly. The bubbling happens about two times during every wash. We just purchased the home and asked the previous owners if they had problems and they said no. Any ideas? Thank you so much!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2005, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shell49_1974
    I live in a raised ranch home in which the laundry room and a full bath are located on the lower level of the house. Recently, I noticed that when the washer discharges water, it backs up into the shower stall in the bathroom. Just a bit of water and bubbles gurgles up and then it goes right back down. Whenever you just run water in the shower, it also drains regularly. The bubbling happens about two times during every wash. We just purchased the home and asked the previous owners if they had problems and they said no. Any ideas? Thank you so much!!!
    Sounds like the sellers were a little less then truthful about the drainage problems. You have a partial blockage downstream from the shower stall.
    A partial blockage will let a minor discharge, such as a shower or a lavatory drain on by. However, a washer discharges with great force and volume. Twice in a cycle it discharges and emptys the washer tub, ( is this beginning to sound familiar?) What's happening is the washer hits the blockage with great force and bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead of it. Then quietly drains away. A partial blockage will only worsen, they don't heal themselves. The result is a complete backup out of the lowest fixture.
    To repair this problem you must snake out the bathroom lavatory vent from the roof. Put out enough cable after you hit the bend at the base of the vent to run past the bathroom. Afterwards stick a hose in the vent and flush out any debris that may remain. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Washer having suds backing up [ 54 Answers ]

Can anyone let me know what to do? I have a new maytag (toploader) washing machine that has been working fine for 5 months. Last week, I noticed suds backing up from the drain area (where the pipe empties water and suds into the wall). There are only suds spewing out, no water. I called Maytag and...

Washer backing up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys. My 21-year-old son recently brought a house (6 months). I am very proud of him but very disappointed in the house. In a very short time we have found many problems with this house. It angers me because my son is a hard worker, good kid and deserves better. So, after this small intro,...

Washer backing up into kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago our kitchen sink started backing up with water whenever we use the washing machine. We are on a septic system and have never had any problems until now. The house was built back in the 50's so we're not sure if there is a grease trap to be the cause of the issue. We've put root...

Washer backing up in tub and shower... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, this is my first post here, ill try to describe problem as best as I can. I have a sink and a bathtub in small bath, sink drains fine but tub drains slow, and no backup when washer drains. The kitchen has a dishwasher and a sink, drains fine but little backup when washer drains. ...

Washer drain backing up [ 3 Answers ]

Moved into a 2 story townhouse recently and bought a new over/under washer and drier. While doing some wash my wife noticed that when the washer drained it backed up into the sink. The lucky thing was it was a small load. This morning was an extra large load, and it backed up so bad that it...

View more questions Search