Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHANNON310 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Can my boyfriend adopt my son, and I continue to receive child support?
    I have a 4 year old son, by my ex-fiance. About a year ago I took him to court for child support.when he was ordered to pay me, he stopped calling my son for about 6 months. Then he called me on my cell phone one day out of the blue, and said he wanted to be a part of his son's life. My son was o.k with that. This went on for about a month. In that one month he called his son once every 2 weeks and only made one attempt to see him, he picked him up from my mother's house for about 2 hours. Then he called me one day and asked me to drop his arrears for child support, when I told him no, he got mad and stopped calling again for another six months. I have met a wonderful man who wants to marry me and adopt my son. Also,in the last week my ex has tried to contact me again. When I asked my son if he wanted to call and talk to him he told me no. He also made me promise to him that I would never make him go over his father's house. When I asked him why his response was he never calls me, comes and see me, and he is mean to me. Can I continue to receive my child support and when me and my boyfriend get married will he be able to adopt my son legally.Also, will a court give him court ordered visitation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Once your new husband adopts that will free the bio father from child support assuming he goes along with the adoption and I don't see why he wouldn't from what you are saying.

However, if he doesn't voluntary relinquish his rights, then your husband cannot adopt and he can force visitation.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Your boyfriend can not adobt unless your ex gives up his rights... while normally giving up rights does not terminate child support, your boyfriend adopting your son does. So no, you will not continue to receive child support if your boyfriend adopts.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Seems like your sons fathers main concern is child support and not really seeing his son. Once he knows that signing over his rights and allowing your son to be adopted will stop his child support he may be willing to do it... if he is, your son is better off without him.

But, in Ohio, you have to be married a year before your husband will be allowed to adopt the child.

And as everyone has said... he must willingly sign over his rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my boyfriend adopt my son? [ 3 Answers ]

Can my new boyfriend adopt my son even if we are not married ?

Want my boyfriend to adopt my son [ 4 Answers ]

Can my boyfriend, soon to be husband adopt my 2 year old son if there is no fathers name on my sons birth certificate. I live in Washington State not sure what the adoption laws are here.

Child support for adopted son [ 3 Answers ]

I adopted a son about 4 years ago when I was married shortly after that me and my wife divorce and now I am stuck with paying child support for a none biological son. Is there anything in the law to prevent me from paying child suppor for a adopted son? Also the son that we adopted was my wife's...

Boyfriend to adopt son [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I wanted to know if anyone knew if I needed my sons real father to sign over his rights for my boyfriend to adopt but here is the thing his real father saw him once the day he came home from the hosptial and my son is now 3 going to be 4 and that was it I don't get any child support from him and...

Can my boyfriend adopt my son [ 2 Answers ]

I have been separated from my husband for 5 years. We have a 4 year old son together. He does pay child support and he is involved but my son does not know him as "daddy" he knows my boyfriend as daddy. My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years and 9months. He has been my sons daddy since...

View more questions Search