Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacktheripper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 11:35 AM
    "Let there be light", I say, but alas, it seems not to be!
    I live in an old house, and along the steps leading down to the basement is a light bulb socket. It used to work once, but now even with a new bulb which works in other sockets, there is no light when I flick on the switch. Help in solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Aug 10, 2007, 03:01 PM
    1-Start at the breakers/fuses to verify that none are tripped/blown. Yeh, it's the most obvious :D but also the easist to check. Do other devices on this circuit still work?

The working back method:

1-check the socket voltage/condition- Check for voltage AT the wires connected to the socket, not where the bulb screws in. If the socket is defective or has loose, corroded or broken terminals, the bulb won't light even though voltage is supplied. If you're getting voltage at the wires, figure a bad socket. No voltage at wires, bad switch or wiring.

2-loose connections/bad switch-Make sure the wire screw terminals are tight. If back wired, check that none of the wire popped out-if back wired move wires to the screws. Test for voltage on both sides of the switch. No voltage at supply side, bad/broken wire or loose connection/splice elsewhere in the circuit. No voltage on load side with switch on (supply ok) bad switch.

4-bad wiring-You say the house is old. Depending on age the actual wire may be a problem.

NOw, the throw parts at it method;

1-replace the switch with a known good one. If it works problem solved. If not
    2-next replace the socket. If that doesn't work someone will have to trace the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher flashing "clean" light needs to be reset [ 110 Answers ]

We paid a Sears repairman to come out when we had a flashing "Clean" light on our dishwasher, A Kenmore Ultra Wash 665.1603 or 1703, and he gave us the diagnostic code (buttons to push on the operating panel) and we have used it again after that, but I cannot find the order of the buttons to push...

91 Honda Accord "s" light/shifting problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda accord lx. The "s" light constantly blinks and the car shifts from 1st to 3rd so I don't have 2nd or 4th unless I put it in manually. The TCU gave me error codes 7 and 15. I removed the TCU and looked at the circuit board and there was corrosion. I ordered a rebuilt one and...

95 Honda Civic "Check Engine" Light [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. Was driving my 95 Honda Civic LX (115000 miles) to work this morning when the Check Engine light came on. Car was not overheating, no obvious problem, oil level fine. Ran all day with no further problem indications, but the Check Engine light stayed on. What is the possible problems?? Note...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

03 Honda Civic "maint. Req" light blinking [ 2 Answers ]

The "maint. req" light blinks like 10 times when I start the car, it does not remain on but it does it every time I start the car. It has done this once before, and I do not remember how to make it stop. And since it has done this before, what is the cause? Any help is appreciated!...

View more questions Search