Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lil_Sweetie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2005, 08:29 AM
    Not Eating
    I got my dog recentlyfrom a firend who can't keep him anymore and its said its half zou and half something else but not sure. When I first got it it ate everything we fed it human food dog food. But yesturday the ENTIRE day he ate absolutely NOTHING at all! Now I hear her stomach growling and all and I tried to feed it so many things but it just won't eat! What do I do?
    lil_Sweetie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2005, 08:33 AM
    Here is a picture of her: http://www.webpost.net/xl/xlilsweetie/doggy.JPG
    LoveMyBooBooGirl Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Aug 15, 2005, 10:45 AM
    Re: not eating
    Your new dog looks healthy. In the transition to her new home this is common. Get as much info. From the previous owner as possible. Perhaps she wasn't fed table food in th past? Did you continue to feed her the same dog food or switch? Switching foods can give some dogs an upset stomach (gas, diarreah, etc.). Also she is adapting to a new environment. Give her love and patience and of course a place of her own (doggie bed, crate, etc.). Work on developing a routine of feeding her at the same time each day and walking her to potty afterward. As long as she is drinking plenty of water she will eat when she settles down and is hungry, one (or two) days is okay. Just keep an eye on her. Hopefully I was of some help to you. Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Although most human food is Ok for dogs, there are a few things, chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, Xylitol, and others that can kill a dog. Unless you have fed him some of those, I would give him a day or 2 to recover. Maybe let him eat some grass. It may bring up whatever is bothering him. Any sudden changes of diet can upset a dog's digestion. If he doesn't start eating again in a day or 2, better call the vet. Certainly before the weekend.

When he is ready to eat again, offer him some dry dog food. It would be best to stick to what the former owners were feeding him if it was a dry dog chow passing AAFCO tests. An occasional little tidbit from the table put in his dish is OK, but for such a small dog, it must be very little. The easiest way to give a dog a healthy diet is to make sure almost all of its calories come from a commercial dog chow.

It is very easy to over feed small dogs. I couldn't tell too much by the picture. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food adjusted to its individual needs.

Thank you for giving him a home. I am very upset about all the nice dogs slaughtered at the shelters for lack of homes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog not eating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been sick for several weeks now. I took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago because she was not eating and would gag every time she did. On the way to vet she threw up a dead animal. It was raw meat, fur and claws. It really made me sick. I think it was a rabbit she had killed. ...

Eating [ 8 Answers ]

OK I have 2 problems, First my mom used to put people food in our two four year old Bichons when they wouldn't eat. She also hand fed them and gave them people food at and away from the dinner table a lot. Recently I have been training them to stop begging and there is no more table food. ...

Eating [ 16 Answers ]

Hi today I went to school and had like some crisps from one of my mates because I was hungry - that was at break - then at lunch I wasn't hungry at all. I haven't eaten since Tuesday night because yesterday I was just not hungry and then at dinner/tea etc time I had pizza but it made me feel sick...

Dog Not Eating [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, he is a picky eater, we feed him chicken with veggies and white rice. He is spoiled and given table scraps sometimes. Lately he has refused even the table food and only eats some when he is hand fed, then walks away. However, he has energy and...

My dog is not eating at all... [ 1 Answers ]

We just rescued and german shepherd from the animal shelter. She is very big, but only weighs 64lbs, she is also just a little over 1yr old. We are worried of malnutrition and her being under-weight. So, we got her some dry food for puppies high in protein content. But she refuses to eat it. She...

View more questions Search