Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mohpvn Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Aug 10, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Yellow discoloration or stain on cultured marble
    We recently had a cultured marble countertop installed in a bathroom (5 months ago). Earlier this week, in my regular cleaning, I found a yellow discoloration or stain under the soap dispenser and soap dish. The installer came out yesterday and "buffed" the stain away. I have a few questions - what caused this to begin with, what did the "buffing" do exactly, and did the fact the stain showed up so easily have something to do with the manufacturer/installer's quality of work?

We've got one more bathroom to do and need to know if we should stick with the same manufacturer/installer.

I have cultured marble elsewhere that has lasted for 17 years and is still in excellent condition (under the soap dispensers too!).

Thanks!
    -Margaret
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Marble has ro be sealed and polished to be used in that type of application. What happened can't be the installer's fault. It sounds like a water/soap stain because the sealant didn't adhere. I can't answer the 'buffing' question. Did you not ask him why ?

Aug 10, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Hmm, seems like from your answer you are thinking marble, not cultured marble. This is cultured marble. Does that change your answer?

I did ask -- he didn't know why it happened.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 10, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Yes, its normally called engineered marble and still would have to be sealed against water or anything wet, otherwise you will always get stains.
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Aug 28, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Marble is a very porous material and must be meticulously sealed. You can ensure beautiful longevity by sealing it yourself and knowing that your marble is protected. Your local tiling store has wonderful sealants. Do it yourself & know it's done right. It will also age and cure, as time flows. But toxants like soaps will affect it. Put a nice dish under your soap,etc dispensers until you have properly sealed it.

Aug 28, 2007, 07:58 PM
    I've never heard of having to seal cultured marble, since by nature it's essentially marble dust mixed with a resin material in a mold (at least, that's my uneducated impression). Sealing it doesn't make any sense to me -- I still think you're thinking of real marble, not cultured marble. Thanks, though! :).
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Aug 29, 2007, 11:02 AM
    All Marble must be sealed... cultured just means man-made... like cultured pearls. It is still porous and highly acceptable to other materials.
    odilda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2011, 06:18 PM
    My marbel countertop has a discoloration in front of the sink,what can I do
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 06:39 PM

Did you notice this post is from 4 years ago? Try buffing with baking soda dampened with water

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cultured Marble Vanity Top [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to cut a cultured marble vanity top with, say, a circular saw?

Cultured Granite counter top water stain [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has placed a plant on our kitchen counter top, which is made of a dark grey colored cultured granite. The plant apparently remained in the same position for nearly a year. Today when it was removed there remains a white discoloration, almost a bleached out stain the exact size of the...

Tile & Cultured Marble [ 2 Answers ]

Can one rough up and tile right over 1/4" Cultured Marble wall panels?

Cultured marble vanity top [ 7 Answers ]

I picked up a cultured marble vanity top to fit on my vanity at home. I didn't remember that the vanity fits into a corner and thus didn't factor in the vanity having a finished edge on that side. Is it possible for me to trim the cultured marble with a circular saw or is specialized...

Cultured Marble Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

OK guys, got to good deal on a large cultured marble tub + surround from local manufacter. My first pick was a large cast iron tub but no way for me to easily move it in the house. Cultured marble man is going to install the tub and surround for me. The material looks very strong and durable. ...

View more questions Search