bee138deb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bee138deb
    Should the grooms parents be included on the wedding invitation
    Should the grooms parents be included on the wedding invitation
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 10, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Yes. If the brides parents are listed, the grooms should be as well.
    Its also acceptable to not list any parents by name.

Since we hosted [re: paid] for our own wedding, we worded it this way:

Jane June Doe
    &
    John Jared Doe
    Along with their parents
    Invite you to the celebration of their vows
    ... etc
    bee138deb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bee138deb
    should the grooms parents be included on the wedding invitation
    We are paying for the chair covers, the beer, champagne and the alcohol...
    And reharsal dinner
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2007, 08:31 AM
    If I remember correctly, the groom's parents are included if they are paying for a portion of the wedding; the rehearsal dinner doesn't count because that is traditionally their expense anyway. So, if you are paying for chair covers, beer, champagne and alcohol, yes, you should be included. You are contributing to the cost of the wedding, which means you are a host - you should be listed. If the bride's parents pay for EVERYTHING you are (traditionally) not a host, and therefore get left off. However, in my book, both parents should be included because a wedding is celebrating two families coming together. I worded my invitations like this:

Bride (first and middle)
    And
    Groom (first and middle)
    Together with their parents
    Bride's parents (Mr. and Mrs. James Smith)
    And
    Groom's parents (Mr. and Mrs. John White)
    Blah blah blah blah blah

My parents and my fiance's parents both contributed to the cost of the weding, so they were both on the invitation. If you go to a stationary store where invitations are ordered the books will have sample wording for you. Almost any wedding planner (book or person) will have it as well.
    Survivor

Aug 13, 2007, 05:39 AM
    It shouldn't really be about how much money was contributed. If one set of parents are on the invite, both should be. If the grooms parents pay less (or are less involved) list their names second under the brides parents. Vice Versa could apply.
    Basically, it should be all or none with parents names. You can't exclude only one set of parents.

Example:

Jane Doe
    &
    John Smith
    Along with their parents
    Mary and Todd Doe
    And
    Eliza Jones and Joe Smith
    Invite you to...
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Learning, I agree, but I seem to recall from when I worked at a stationary store the "traditional" way was to list the bride's parents only if they are the only one's paying. It seems to me most people do not follow this "tradition", however, as it is a bit, she we say, stuffy!
    Survivor

Aug 13, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Jillian,
    I'm sure you're right, I just can't imagine only listing one set of parents! Some can't afford to help... my mom couldn't do anything at all... but imagine the hurt feelings if she wasn't mentioned! I can see why "tradition" is breaking the mold. ;) We made it even by saying "parents" since DH and I paid 95%... and the invites didn't have enough room. LOL
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 10:53 AM
    I agree, it's rude to leave one parent off because of lack of financial contribution! To me, THAT is the bad etiquette!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Invitations [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I just wanted to know if the response card goes inside the return stamped envelope when it is sent with the wedding invitation? Or do they go in separately? Thanks for your help.

Wedding invitations [ 7 Answers ]

Me and my fiancé are getting married next year. My parents are still alive, but both his have already passed away. How do I write out my invitation? Do I leave out his parents names? I really don't want to do that, but I don't know what else to do! PLEASE HELP :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wedding invitations [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper etiquette and wording when asking for RSVPs via a website and phone number on an invitation. Our invitation is big enough that we can fit all the information without a problem. Can we just say "RSVP on or before the date by visiting name.com/rsvp or 000-000-0000"?

Wedding invitations [ 1 Answers ]

If one parent is deceased and the other is remarried, how should the invitation be written? The bride would like to have her deceased mother on the invitation, but should she include her stepmother on the invitation with her father who is giving/paying for the wedding. Should it be "Mr. John Doe"...

Wedding Invitations [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question about a friend of mine's wedding invitations. She has family from all over the world and is sending invitations to all of them. Knowing that some of them will be unable to attend due lack of time, money, etc... she is going to have a web cam at her wedding. Now does she place...

View more questions Search